on 25 February 2012
I already own the Lunar R1 - 1watt light, which sits on my seat post. The R1 is an extremely bright light and an excellent product (5 stars!)
I wanted another light, that I could attach to my hydration back pack, so was thinking of buying another Lunar R1 light - until I saw this double light. I had a concern, that the lights were 1/2 watt each and may not match the brightness of my Lunar R1 - Well, I am glad to say, that this light is as bright and to be honest, i think this light is superior to the Lunar R1.
I now ride with the Lunar R1 1 Watt on the seat post and the Lunar 2 x 1/2 watt on my back pack. There is no way a driver will fail to notice me in town or in the country. (I am a driver !)
I also own a magicshine MJ-816 1400 Lumen front light (another great product!), so I only like the bright lights !!!!
Various different light modes, which would please most people.
Would certainly recommend !
on 22 December 2011
This the second one of these I've bought. This one was even cheaper than the previous. I keep one in the the boot of the cars in case of breakdown in a dark or awkward situation. They clip on to a warning triangle and you can see them them for miles. Might save your life one day!
on 9 February 2013
This is my initial review posted Feb 13**

Unsure why people are paying the hugely inflated price for this. Planet X are doing this for £9.99 with £2.49 delivery or free delivery over £20. Stop getting RIPPED OFF!! - Available on the Bay for under £15 delivered!

Just got this light delivered today and tested it inside and am still getting traces on my retinas. I have owned various Smart rear lights including a 1/2 Watt rear one. Never had a problem with the rear lights but not sure I can say the same about the Front lights.

Apparently they have a lifetime guarantee but you have to keep hold of your receipt.

Back to this light. It is incredibly bright - by far the brightest light I have ever owned and maybe even seen on the roads.
It has 5 modes.

1) Flashing
2) Constant top light so 1/2 Watt
3) Constant both - 1 Watt
4) Strobe with weird pulse at end of cycle - bit like a fruit machine!
5) Pulsing

I find Smart brackets very good and once tightened the light fits in with a positive click. Also comes with the option to mount on seat stays.

Light 5/5, Bracket 5/5 - Screw on Bracket 1/5.

I paid £9.99 for this light which is excellent. I would love to give the product 5 Stars but I can't because EVERY Smart light I have had - the screw for the bracket rusts! Come on Smart - provide a Stainless steel screw Please!!

* Edit - I picked up 10 M4 16mm STAINLESS STEEL bolts that use a very small Allen Key for £1.10 from the Bay. I shouldn't of had to do this. They fit the brackets perfectly and aren't stupidly long like the Smart supplied ones!!

************************************* New Review & comparisons 17 December 2013 ********************************

I am a long time Smart bike light fan and in my opinion their rear lights are the best you can get for the price and brightness. This review is based upon the new model of this which is USB chargeable!

*Please see the Pics.*

I own the kidney 3 LED light (47 Grams) Smart 3 LED Rear Light - Red, (2xAAA batt. inc.), the 0.5 Watt Superflash (Not pictured - but looks like the R1), 0.5 Watt Kidney (52 Grams) Smart 1/2 Watt Rear Light - Red/Black, (2xAAA batt. inc.) the 1 Watt R1 (54 grams)Smart Lunar R1 Rear Light 1 Watt - Red/Grey, (2xAAA batt.inc.), the 1 Watt - 2 x 1/2 Watt R2 (58 grams)Smart Lunar 2X1/2 Watt Rear - Red/Black, (2xAAA batt.inc.) and have just added this - the R2 USB (44 Grams) Smart Lunar R2 USB Rechargeable Rear Light 2 x 1/2 Watt to my collection simply for the convenience of it being USB rechargeable.

All the weights above include batteries so as you can see this R2 USB is quite a bit lighter. Both the mounts with the full included shims weigh 21 Grams.

******** I have never paid more than £10 for any of these lights and they can still be had for under a tenner if you search certain bike stores apart from this R2 USB which I bought from Laxzo Ltd on here on the 11th and which arrived today - the 16th. Laxzo have a big shop on Ebay too and offer good prices and quick delivery. They are doing this light on Ebay for £17.99.**********

I paid £14.48 delivered for this R2 USB which is at least half what you would pay for a USB rechargeable rear light of this brightness and ironically is cheaper than the current price of £14.52 for the standard R2 direct from Amazon as of 17/ 12/ 13!

All the Smart rear lights I have use a very simple bracket that can be attached to either the seat post or seat stays. I have NEVER had a light come out when riding as some others report. The only criticism I have of the brackets is that the bolts are NOT galvanized or stainless so WILL rust.

------- Also I have NEVER had any problems with water ingress on ANY of the Rear Smart Lights I own and I have been out in some real downpours. They all have a rubber "seal" that fits round the outer perimeter of the lights. I suspect that people who have whined about water getting in have simply been a bit ham fisted when refitting this after changing batteries..-------

This USB R2 looks identical to the standard R2 but behind the on / off switch on the bottom of the light is a USB port that is covered by a plastic plug when in use.

It comes with a 50 cm or so mini USB plug which I just plugged into a mains adaptor. The light then flashes blue when charging and then stays on blue when charged. Apparently this takes about 4 hours.

I will be testing this light out over the next few weeks so will update then but initial thoughts are that it is just as bright as the standard R2 but it does have different modes.

I seem to have disco flashing (Dance), bottom light on half brightness for group riding (10%), Top half on constant & full & then both on constant full (Solid).

I do not have the pulsing mode that I have on my R2 and which is called (Breathe) which is no biggie for me as I will probably just use this on constant.

Also unlike the R2 you have to hold the on button on instead of just switching it - I thought mine was broken at first - it isn't!

You get a 2 year warranty on electrical components & a one year on the battery on this R2 USB model.

$$$$$$$$$ I have taken to running a rear light night & day simply as an insurance policy against SMIDSY - Sorry Mate I Didn't See You - and will be encouraging my kids to do the same. A lot of motorcyclists run lights all the time and cyclists are probably the most vulnerable road users so why not? Better to be safe than sorry. $$$$$$$$$$

Cheers
review image review image review image review image review image
on 9 December 2011
When I first recieved the light I was curious to see just how bright it actually was... well i needn't have had any worries, its BLINDING. I ride a mix of Urban roads and country lanes on my commute to work, and this light teamed with my other lights has made me feel safe, when riding a quick glance behind, and you'll see that all of the street signs are lit up red. That'll do then.

The lamp itself feels a bit "plasticky" but once clipped together its solid enough, mind you the clips feel a little brittle, but time will tell, seems to seal OK. The only complaint that I have is the centre of each of the "lenses" has a countersunk depression with a sharp edge, and this filled up with road muck and mud very quickly - making the lamp a little bit dinner in the centre "hot spot".

Would I buy this lamp again: YES ABSOLUTELY

Would I recommend it to a friend: YES

Would I recommend Amazon: YES - THERE FAB.
on 14 February 2014
I bought this light for my daily cycle commute. It stood out when searching as it had amazing 5 star reviews. Let me explain why I gave it 3 stars in a Pro's and Con's.

Pro's:
- Very bright, almost blinding (PS. don't point it at your eyes when you've just put new batteries in! :-)
- Easy to mount (I stuck it on my seat post very easily)
- Easy to mount and dismount for commutes

Con's:
- NOT waterproof.
I commute every day by bike regardless of the weather so I understand that this might not be for everyone. However on the back seat post you get spray from your back wheel. I believe this is how water gets into the light. When I get to work and try turn off the light it just stays on so I have to pull the batteries out every time it rains and let it dry before it works again. I've checked the seals time and time again as well as sending one back thinking I had a bad one but had exactly the same thing. Now there are things you can do to prevent it. Don't use it in the rain (I need it especially in the rain) and use a rear mud guard to stop the spray.
- Narrow light path so cars from far can see you perfectly but cars from the side don't see the same effect
on 20 March 2014
This light is certainly bright but it has a number of significant design flaws.

Firstly, removing the casing to access the batteries is a nightmare. I've got a pretty strong grip but the force needed is ridiculous, made more difficult because of the sloping sides of the casing. You have to pull back one of the plastic 'wings' as you pull on the casing and the force required is so great it feels as if it could easily break. Compare this, say, with the much better method on the similar spec MetroFlash Dangerzone which has a groove in which you insert and twist something like a coin. The cheapo looking single strut bracket doesn't feel particularly robust either.

Secondly, the light only remains at maximum brightness through a fairly narrow angle, both horizontally and vertically, and to make matters worse it is difficult to achieve an optimum vertical angle because the ridged bracket screw adjustment only allows changes in fairly large steps, thus it is pointing either too high or too low.

I'm puzzled by the myriad of 5 star reviews for this light. Yes, it's bright, but there are too many problems to award this any more than a three, and that's being generous.
on 14 June 2012
This lamp is sensationally bright and has some very unusual flahing modes. It supplied with a clip and also fittings - one which is big enough to go on a seat tube and one which will fit on a stay.

However I found that the clip can be used to attach it to the plastic tightening band of my helmet. It sits very comfortablly - just on the nape of my neck and produces a very visible high level rear warning light that motorists really can't fail to miss.
on 17 June 2016
The Smart Lunar R2 Tail Light appears to come in two versions, one with 5 modes (LAM321R) and one with 3 modes (RL321R TWO EYEs.) I received the 3-mode model, and although I ordered the 5-mode model I am happy with the 3-mode: double light, single light and Dancing. It really is super bright. It throws out a strong red main beam, which if angled too upwards is dazzling, and produces a good brightness at the sides of the light. The Dancing mode is excellent and is the one I tend to use.
I wanted this as a second light. My existing tail light is also a Smart, which has lasted many years in a fair share of rainy cycle journeys, so I feel confident with the quality of this brand.
The Lunar R2 has two brackets for fixing by screwdriver to either the seat post or the seat stay. Having the seat stay fitting option was necessary for me. I don’t understand why manufacturers of more costly lights with only a seat post or under saddle fitting want to make them useless by ignoring the needs of cyclists like myself who load things on top of their rear carrier.
The light slides securely with a click into, and releases easily from, the bracket.
The light uses 2 AAA batteries. It is not a USB rechargeable light as one of the pictures suggests (the one with the light and a USB lead) which is rather confusing. Opening the Smart Lunar R2 to replace the batteries is a little tricky, but that indicates its solid and sealed build.
I would say you would have to go a long way to find a more practical, bright and value-for-money light.
on 8 November 2011
Delivery was prompt. Light is very bright and, after a good few weeks of use, I'm still on the supplied batteries. Am considering another one to wear on my rucksack in flashing mode to draw extra attention, though that's mainly due to my commute being on unlit country roads. For general cycling, this is an extremely capable light and darn good value.
on 19 March 2014
As it only has two AAA batteries it eats them. I only wanted a flashing light on my cap to get to and from work, about three miles each way. There is only enough power for two and a half trips. So it's ok as long as you have batteries on charge. It's also not the easiest light to get into.