on 29 July 2013
Good, simple, elegant design, works well, and produces a good, even grind. To grind enough coffee for a strong double espresso takes around 150 rotations - a little over a minute. There's enough capacity to grind more than twice that amount in one go if you want to - perfect if you're making coffee for 1 or 2 people.

There's something very satisfying about using this machine to grind your coffee by hand - can't really explain it - you just have to try it!

Delivered very quickly from Japan, and extremely well packaged.

Points to be aware of:

1) The instructions included are in Japanese. You don't really need instructions, operation and adjustment is all fairly obvious, but if (like me) you prefer to read the manual, you can find the English instructions online. Took me a while to track them down, so here's the link: [...]

2) The handle slots into a hexagonal crank at the top, but there's nothing to stop it sliding off while you're turning it. You have apply a slight pressure downwards while turning, or it can slip off. Don't let this put you off - you quickly get used to it, and once you get the hang of it, it's a joy to use.

Overall, highly recommended.
on 30 August 2014
Overall, a great device and a genuine 5 stars all round.

I have loved my coffee for many years and an impending deployment to Afghanistan was the trigger to buy one of these grinders - lest I be without my usual (high) standard, thrice daily 'cup-a-jo' (sorry, been working with the yanks) out in the climes of Kabul. Besides which, it's the small touches of civilisation which makes deploying on Ops more bearable. And yes, I am an Officer, ergo 'posh twat'. I have had the grinder for 9 months now and have used it daily.

Anyway, the ergonomics of this device are sleek and smooth - if you don't want the handle. The picture belies a handle that sits neatly in situ - but, in my experience, the handle is only able to summon up sufficient self-discipline to remain in such a position when static for photo shoots. At other times, it demonstrates all the staying power of a politician in a room full of hookers and free cocaine. I think the rubber retaining device serves more to keep the two items in the same place. That said, this is clearly a 1st world problem and has given me little cause for any lasting anxiety. If I am diagnosed with PTSD after this tour, I doubt I will blame the handle.

The grinder itself is REALLY good. You can set it for the grind that you want. I have stuck to caffetiere grind since purchase but it does have a much finer grind setting. I am without my turkish coffee maker so I have not tried this setting yet. War is hell!

The quantity you can grind in one hit is impressive. I like my coffee very strong ('seeing ancestors' strength) so I use a whole pot to myself ('jack brew' as we say) but I believe you could make enough for two from one full grind sesh.

The grinder is easy to clean. The grinding does however leave brown stains on the grinding teeth area. Admittedly, washing up brushes aren't in copious supply where I am but I am sure a liberal application of bristles and elbow grease would budge most of this discolouration. Again, with missing planes and what is going on in Gaza, this isn't really anything that should create a flicker on the 'vexed-o-meter'.

The size of the grinder is a pleasing compromise of how much you can grind in one sesh and the ability to store/carry it. It has certainly been the perfect size for me to stick in a pouch (pre-loaded with my favourite 'Death Wish Coffee' [now available in the UK on here by the way] - as I like the taste and the irony) and to deploy into the a**e end of nowhere for a few days. One must maintain the 'posh twat' persona in front of the men after all. And besides, my smoking jacket, pipe and slippers were simply to volumous for my man to carry.

As for the concern by some about the handle coming off mid grind - I have never experienced this. You just have to apply sufficient torque at the right angles. If you are struggling with this, you could always make it into a game you can play with yourself so that it demands all of your attention. Besides, how badly do you want that coffee? Stick with it, work hard! This grinder is not for quitters.

All in all, go for it. You wont regret it. And, if you aren't gifted in the coordination department, you get a free game too!
on 25 April 2014
I think 4 stars is a very good amount to give for this hand-powered grinder. All of the parts are easy to disassemble and put back together, which makes cleaning and adjustment a breeze. Everything is machined so well that parts simply slot on top of each other with a decent amount of grip. It makes short work of the beans I use, never taking any longer than 2 minutes to grind a fully loaded chamber!
I have added a rubber band around the outer burr in mine to reduce any free play that may cause grind inconsistencies. This is the first area that could be addressed in future models. Secondly, the handle simply slots over the top of the grinder without locking into place. This has not caused me problems so far but others have experienced some trouble with this. Regardless, some kind of cap or function to hold it in place would be nice.

I like how cheaply I got this compared to bigger electric burr grinders, and I love the portability of the product. It does enough for a small Moka Pot or 1 litre French Press in one grinding. If I needed a bigger capacity then I would've got a bigger grinder, but if ever necessary I'll simply do two rounds of grinds.

I can recommend this grinder to entry level coffee enthusiasts [such as myself] who do not want to splash out big on their first coffee experiences.
Buy one of these, get a second-hand French Press or Moka Pot from a charity shop, and some decent beans and see what you think! If you end up not being the coffee fan you thought you might be, hey, you haven't lost a lot!
on 1 March 2014
I gave this item 5 stars because it deserved it and i can not (so far after 4-5 weeks use) fault it. I purchased this from Japan and it arrived very promptly and well packed in a much shorter time than i expected. Full marks to the seller. I purchased this as i had previously had other electrical burr grinders, but they simply did not grind fine enough to make espresso on my Gaggia Classic coffee machine. This is so simple to use and to clean afterwards. It does not take no effort at all, and grinds a 1 or 2 shot coffee very quickly. You can alter the grind size by a simple finger nut adjustment. I have it around 5 clicks from the finest, any more than that for me and it would be too fine for the Gaggia to cope with.. Yes.. its that good!!. If you want a decent espresso done by a very good product - like this Porlex burr grinder you wont be disappointed (unlike i was with more expensive. unreliable electric burr grinders out there!). Excellent item. Buy it.
on 23 February 2016
I'm no expert but I've been absolutely delighted with this purchase and it has exceed all my high expectations.

It is used at work, so wanted something not too big and definitely not too noisy. The grinding sound is quite muted and subdued. It remains audible across a silent office but without the high-pitched, aggressive assault on the ears of electric grinders. The work effort level is considerably lower than expected too. The quality and consistency of the grinds compares very favourably indeed to that of a specialist coffee supplier I use off the internet. I was completely sold after my first grinding session.

The build quality is excellent and friends at work have cooed over the design and like to handle it. Operation is simplicity itself and it looks like it will be easy to clean - when the time arrives. As claimed, there is no static and the grinds don't cling to the metal cup.

One downside is that the instructions are in Japanese only. But a quick Google search will reveal translated instructions that explain everything.

I use this mostly with an Aeropress on click setting 7 and the results are outstanding - well worth the effort. Factor in the small size, and muted noise, then this is an ideal product for the office-based coffee enthusiast.
on 24 July 2013
Great portable grinder, makes a great cup when used with an Aeropress.

Arrived from Japan with a note and a paper crane.
on 17 August 2015
I take this everywhere with me, along with my Aeropress. It produces an even grind, with a good adjustable range of coarseness. Another little benefit is that the mill fits inside of the Aeropress for travelling. the handle must be stowed alongside, but I take an elastic band which solves that.

It's solid, and it's easy to take apart and clean.

One of my favourite things.
on 26 October 2014
nice bit of kit; bought for use with personal coffee maker & for taking away, camping etc.
only used it a few days, so far ... review based on that.
time will tell if issues (reported elsewhere) crop up later.
seems very good quality; effort for grinding roughly equivalent to that used when using an old fashioned pencil sharpener and takes a couple of minutes (if that) to grind required amount of coffee.

Update (Nov 2015) ...

Have used this grinder most days, for a year now, without any problem.
It has worked fine throughout and continues to do so.
on 26 May 2015
This is a brilliant gadget allowing me to make wonderful coffee at work with my Aeropress. I fill the chamber and have it set at 9 clicks for a fantastic, smooth Columbian bean double espresso. No need for scales and thermometers.
on 27 April 2015
Sturdy and easy to use.
One full cup of beans is pretty much equal to one delicious cup of coffee.
Changing the grind is easy; just need to rotate the cog at the bottom a few clicks.
Doesn't need much maintenance too. Just a clean every now and then.
Excellent value if you want a hand grinder.