on 5 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The light itself is quite large (presumably needed in order for the sensitivity of the different light settings to be effective) and is definitely most effective in winter (i.e. when it's dark in the mornings) as for me, it's only useful feature in the summer months is the radio/mp3 tune alarm - the light itself just isn't effective on its own.

It's quite futuristic looking, and is certainly a conversation piece, and if you are a genuine sufferer of SAD then this may be worth the asking price, but if, like me, it is more of a curiosity, then it just isn't worth the price tag - it's just an expensive radio alarm clock!
on 27 December 2012
best thing ever it does what it says on the tin, no more grumpy mornings in my house since i bought it
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am extremely light dependant and waking up in the dark (or on a cloudy day) is tough for me. The Philips lamp and alarm clock solves this problem.

Having the light gently turn on, makes it a lot easier to get up, and the fact that it changes from a soft yellow to a bright white light is a great spectrum.

Also, there are a lot of options in terms of alarm clock settings. You can use the radio, or set it to various sounds (Birds, farm animals, etc).

Of course, it doubles as a lamp as you don't have to just use the lighting as a wake up signal - you can turn it on and off anytime.

Overall, I really like it. I gave it 4 stars versus 5 for the following reasons:

1. It is difficult to setup. Meaning, it is initially tough to figure out how to use. I hate reading manuals but needed to in this case. Once setup, this issue goes away though.
2. I really dont like the cows mooing, random farm animal settings, etc. Again, this is personal choice but they feel very fake and just annoying. Some probably like them, and if you don't, you can avoid using these settings.
3. It is pretty bulky. I was a little surprised at how large it is.
4. It is expensive for a lamp/alarm clock. I appreciate the lighting and it has really helped me get up in the morning. If you suffer from SAD, it may help you!
on 16 January 2012
My daughter-in law wanted for her X-mas present an alarm that doesn't startle her with loud noise, so I got her a Philips HF3485 Wake-up Light. Tonight She mentioned to me how she loves and mentioned all the other facilities it has, specially the pleasant bird sounds.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now ever since I saw one of these lamps on the Gadget show I have wanted to get one. Just the idea of waking up to a warm sunrise was pleasing. Well now I finally got one and yes it is worth every penny. The one that was featured on the gadget show was just a normal simple wake up lamp, years later now there is a new one with Usb for playing your own music to wake up to. The price is steep for one of these lamps and you can find a cheaper one on the market that just illuminates but come on, what's better than waking up to your fave song in the morning? I especially like waking up to a song that is going to get me out of bed, rather than waking up to one that makes me want to still lie there in bed with my eyes closed. Also when you go to bed, just put this on sleep, about 30mins should do it and not only will you be willed to sleep by the music but also the light dims just like a sunset until it goes out. Phillips Wake up light maybe in the pricey range but it is worth the investment.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit this is far better than my previous alarm clock which had the most horrendous, loud beep. I used to wake up in shock from that.

This obviously is a step up from that but then this is also in a different price bracket.

It's probably a bit bigger and bulkier than I would like as I don't have a big table next to my bed.

However the lamp is really lovely and soft rather than bright and glaring and I like waking up to the natural sounds which are built into the alarm clock. I actually haven't used the USB transfer of songs at all yet because really it is fine as it is.

You can opt to wake up just with the light and no sounds but I don't think this would work with me! It's a little bit too subtle for that.

All in all, it's a very good product but I don't think it needs to be as big as it is unless you want to double up the product as a reading lamp as well. I gave it 4 stars because it is a nicer way to wake up than the standard alarm clocks you get.
on 17 January 2012
We call it the supernova, and it has changed our mornings completely from being a dragged out painful (and very grumpy) affair to a much more pleasant experience in winter. We absolutely love it!
on 23 August 2014
Absolutely brilliant for keeping the kids from waking us. I haven't needed an alarm since they were born, but I needed something to tell them not to wake us before they could tell time.
on 25 February 2012
I am really pleased with this product. The light works well. Waking up to music of my choice is wonderful. It has been a great help in enabling me to wake up and get up in the mornings.
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great bedside lamp, the light intensity is set on a scale between 1 and 20, with 1 offering a faint glow through to 20 which renders a light so blinding you could read a book in the next room, let alone the one the lamp is in. As an alarm it works very well, you can set two different alarms and the switch between them is very quick and easy to use, which is very helpful. It is also very intuitive to set up. The alarm sound effects are also very pleasant and the system which gradually wakes you is far nicer than your traditional alarm clock.

However, there are some drawbacks, the USB playback has no support for media players such as iPods and the FM radio antenna and quality is not particularly good. However, as an alarm clock, this is the best one i've ever owned.