4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by V. Warrington

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but poor Manufacture
I must first of all say that I purchased my lamp from Buzz Agent, not from Amazon.

I purchased the Wake up like a year ago through a Phillips endorsed trial scheme, the light was a great boon, It helped me wake up at various times, on all manor of shifts.

The slow wake up process suited me and I felt refreshed when I awoke.

The main...
Published on 28 Jan 2012 by Stuart Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but poor Manufacture, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Philips HF3485 Wake-Up Light with Radio Alarm and USB Playback (Personal Care)

The slow wake up process suited me and I felt refreshed when I awoke.

The main negative that was immediately apparent was the poor control system, its a bizzarre click and slide buttons, that don't give much in the way of tactile feedback, and it can be difficult to remember the sequence to alter the time, and which push and twist controls which function, especially at night.

9 months on and I must report that the light has developed a fault where at random times it switches the radio on and off at random times, as iff one of the poorly designed buttons that I mentioned is being pressed.

Having searched the web this seems a common problem.

However when you speak to Philips they are totally disinterested, whilst I appreciate a reasonable retailer such as Amazon will refund or repair and help the consumer.

But with such a common problem happening so early in the life of the product it is more of a manufacture issue, which Philips appear disinterested in.

Personally I expect more than 9 months life from an alarm clock of this price, the manufacturers view leaves me somewhat aghast.

In summary a great idea in theory but at the price do you want more than 9 monts out of it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, 9 Jan 2011
V. Warrington "vinniegognitti" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How well this lamp/alarm clock works for you depends on how you drift off at night/wake up in the morning. The lamp gets brighter over time, with the accompanying alarm (containing a number of different themes - I paticularly liked the wind chime one) or radio also getting louder as the 'wake-up' time approaches. This will work well for some people, less so for others. If you're a deep sleeper then this probably isn't the product for you, but for everyone else there's a lot of benefits. There's no snooze function, although you can set two different alarm times, as the idea is that you'll feel ready to get up anyway when the alarm time comes as you've been slowly woken up by the lamp in the first place.

I found that it was less useful if I was really tired, as the gentle wake-up was almost too subtle to really rouse me - although plugging in a USB stick with some loud tunes on it sufficed instead for those occasions. For normal use, it's a very good choice of product as it seems to almost 'prepare' your body for waking up.

The lamp itself is pretty good, in fact I found it more useful than most bedside lights as it seemed to be less harsh but still allowed a good deal of light to read by. The clock itself is a nice orangy colour, which really compliments the lamp well, and overall it looks great as well.

The major disappointment is the lack of a DAB radio. For the asking price I would have expected one, and this is the only thing that really lets it down overall. A shame, as with the inclusion of DAB it would almost be a 'must have' item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bed-side lamp and radio, 20 Dec 2010
Mr. K. P. Rogers "rogers_kp" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this for a few nights, and as a bed-side lamp and radio, it's great.

And, for waking me up, I do seem less tired when waking, which I reckon might well be down to the way in which the light comes on.

The functionality (which should not stop you purchasing) is a little confusing: the light level can't be pre-set, so that if I use it at a low level then that's the level the waking-light will use. It would be much better if a light level for waking could be pre-set.

The USB socket does not charge my iPhone, which is a shame, nor does it read my iPhone's mp3 files. Previous incarnations of this light have included a docking port, so its omission on this latest model is a shame.

The radio is fine, though it's a shame it's not a DAB radio.

All the menu functions take a little while to figure out, but they are intuitive, and functionality then becomes simple with a little practice.

The [...] price-tag seems a bit steep, but I really like the product.

__________________________________
UPDATE: The display has stopped working -- it flashes, sometimes does not show at all, or only one number displays at a time. I think these lamps are riddled with faults.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced Snake Oil anyone?, 30 Dec 2010
Tan y ddraig (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly a word on the so-called 'scientific' claims that this product uses in it's advertising blurb and that word is 'MISLEADING'.

I'm sorry but I get really annoyed when these huge multinational companies mutilate science to try and pull the wool over our eyes and brainwash us into their corporate vacuum. The science behind Philips' claims does actually exist, but not in the simple form they portray, as they have twisted and morphed it into something that will ultimately be their cash cow. To prevent boring those not interested in the science I have added it to the end of this review!

The first thing that strikes me about this alarm/light is its size, which isn't small! The base is approximately 6 inches in diameter and 10 inches high, so I have had to confine my usual bedside lamp to the spare room, whilst testing out it's fantastical claims.

Set-up is really pretty simple and aided by the 'quick-guide' provided, although I note that it has different tunes to those shown in the ad and does not have a 'gentle beep' function at all. The tunes provided on mine are, a bird chirping, yoga music, a cow mooing in a field with cowbells jangling, and a bird in a jungle. To be honest these sounds are all pretty annoying and after the initial novelty value has disappeared, the option that most people will select is the radio or mp3 via usb.

In this respect there is yet another misleading statement in the ad, regarding the digital radio. Whilst the three options of radio channel are displayed in a digital display format this radio IS NOT, as I thought, a DAB radio/alarm. This was the only thing that I thought would/could justify its hefty price tag, of over 100 pounds, but alas it's not. The sound quality sounds like a radio in a bucket (which is exactly what it is!), but then it is supposed to be just a wake up device and not a fully fledged sound system, however there's still that niggle of what exactly does justify the price? To be frank there is nothing that I can see.

It does have some nice points like the 'tap' to turn it off feature, but conversely it's annoying that you cannot adjust the 'snooze time' to your own preference, as it is preset to 9minutes permanently. The wake light does come on gradually and in the winter is its most useful feature. I say this because I just leave the curtains open in the lighter months to wake earlier and I don't need complete darkness to sleep (something I am well aware that would not suit all people). The dual alarm is handy, but still means that the last one up has to shuffle across the bed, to get to the alarm, to turn it off and the chances are that they will already have been woken up by the light and alarm of the first persons choice!!! Another odd design quirk is that you can't set the reading light to be at a different level to the waking level, so you have to remember to adjust this before you drop off to sleep after reading! The last thing is that the light/side gets pretty hot so be careful if you have little ones around!

In summary I am not greatly impressed by this device, which although well made, has some pretty pointless features and a ridiculous price tag together with some inaccurate scientific statements. A word of advice to the office boffins at HQ - If you are going to use medical science to sell products then please make it accurate and not just cherry pick your facts!

The Science

For a start cortisol is not just a simple 'energy hormone' as stated in the advert, as it effects are far more complex than just affecting energy metabolism. It is better described as a 'stress response' hormone affecting the body's energy metabolism and stress response to physical, emotional, infective and traumatic events. It's interaction/correlation with that of melatonin/orexin in the sleep/wake cycle is extremely complex and it is by no means the main factor in governing how well and alert you feel in the morning. Basically, if you are not usually a 'morning person', then don't expect to be miraculously transformed into a bedside Timmy Mallet after using this device....yoiks that is a terrifying thought!

I know that Philips aren't claiming this is a device for Seasonal Affective Disorder sufferers, but I have had a sufficient number of patients ask me whether these devices are good for them and my reply is 'possibly'. There is clear evidence of Seasonal Affective Disorder as a cause of depression in some people and these patients show a significantly better response to light treatment than those with a non-seasonal pattern of depression, but the simple fact of the matter is that the research opinion is still divided on the exact recommendations for treatment and obviously the placebo effect plays a strong part in patient response.

The peak illuminance value of 250lux is significantly less than that of a typical sunrise/sunset on a clear day, which is around 400lux.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you suffer from S.A.D. this small light might be worth a try, 11 April 2011
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The lab where we work doesn't have any windows just strip lights, so my work colleague has one of those little 'artificial sun-light' lamps, which she uses a lot. She tends to find winters can be a bit hard and suffers symptoms listed under 'Seasonal Affective Disorder', or SAD. Waking up in early Winter in complete darkness is likely to be part of the problem, so I got her this little wake-up lamp [which apparently her mum had recommended to her as well]. Personally I can't stand the bright 'artificial sunlight lamp' she has, as it's too bright [some SAD lamps are adjustable though], but this little bedside lamp comes on slowly to mimic daybreak/sunrise and so is far more gentle. My colleague thought it a good idea, and gave it a go.

And she said it's really good, although she only needs to use it during darkest winter, between say November and March [like me she has thin curtains so daylight naturally wakes her up during the rest of the year - we both don't need alarm clocks]. If you have to rise very early in the morning I guess the lamp would still be useful at other times of the year as well. So it's a massive hit. She doesn't use the radio alarm [FM/VHF not DAB unfortunately] or MP3 playback via a USB stick that often, but it's there is you want to try it - it's the daylight sunrise bulb feature that gets used. The audio alarm replays restful bird tweet tweet type MP3s that get more insistent [4 are built in], and to supplement these there are various downloads from Philips to help with the waking experience by providing audio tracks via a USB stick in the side of the lamp [e.g. Heavenly Angels, Beach Mood, African Savannah, Rhythm of Life etc.].

The unit also plays any audio tracks provided they are on a cheap USB data stick inserted into the lights USB2 socket - the audio files must be in Windows MP3 or WMA format only [not Apple AAC]. The maximum number of folder [albums] supported is 99, holding up to a maximum of 999 audio tracks in total. Although it's just + or - buttons to scan through the tracks simply numbered 0001 up to 0999, holding the button down increases the scan speed. The songs are numbered by the date the file was written on the USB stick, with the earliest audio file being number 0001. Any audio track can be selected from the USB2 stick to use as the alarm sound. Likewise you can use the FM radio for the alarm. There's also separate buttons for volume +/- and Alarm on/off. Sound quality is adaquate not great, similar to a cheap radio-alarm clock. Modifying the lamp's alarm/sleep settings is a bit fiddly until you get used to it, so it helps to keep the manual close to hand.

There's a 9 minute snooze [audio/music/FM only], the daylight bulb is user replaceable [lasts ~4000 hours], there's a 15 min battery backup for the digital clock, and the sunrise simulation is adjustable from 20 to 40 minutes. The lamp can also be set to give a gradually dimming 'dusk simulation' to help you get to sleep, adjustable from 15 to 90 minutes. This Philips unit is 25.2 cm (height) x 17.0 cm (diameter), and it weights a hefty but stable 1.45 kg and draws 85 W when on [0-250 Lux at 40-50 cm]. The power cord is 200cm and the discrete digital clock display has 4 brightness settings. You can switch the main lamp on and off like a normal bedside light as well. It comes with a 2 year guarentee. So 4* as it seems to work for SAD sufferers, and it is a well thought out design - bit expensive and fiddly for music playing though. Size wise, although its certainly not minute, it is smaller, squatter, and more discrete than some other SAD lamps I have seen, and many shaded bedside lamps for that matter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, flawed execution for it's price point, 8 July 2013
Have to say, I LOVE the concept of this product. I have to wake up at 4.30am in the morning, and this helps a lot, it feels like a more gentle awakening, and I feel less groggy... most mornings. I have small cottage windows that are west facing, so I get no morning light, and even on the sunniest days it's very dark, and it does take me longer to get up. I know this because when I stay at my friends house, whose windows are not only large but face the rising sun, then regardless of the time, I'm up, whether I like it or not – even with blinds! I also feel less groggy.

I really like this product, but it's not perfect. First thing, is the price. It's not worth the 100+ I paid for it. I only went with it as it had all the features I wanted. I needed something bright, which this is. I wanted to wake up to my own tracks, which I can do with this. Nothing else seemed to have both those features together. But I have to be honest and say it broke my heart to pay 100+ for an item that in reality is only worth about 30 to 40. But all the other things I looked at didn't have the all the features I wanted.

Also, the unit does get worryingly hot as well, so I make sure I don't leave it on too long. For the price I paid, I would expect stellar audio, and whilst the audio is not bad, it's certainly not great. I'd say mediocre at best. The controls, whilst not hard to figure out, are not immediately obvious. The USB selection options are REALLY lacking! You just have to put up with the way the lamp numbers the tracks, as opposed to reading the track name out, and it seems to number the tracks randomly. I have to go through each track to know which one I want. This low tech approach is not great for a 100+ item.

At this price point, I expect attention to detail, and that's not really the case. The foot grips are lacking. There are no options to change the time for how long it takes the audio to increase in volume, you just have to stick to there 90 secs (I think it is) and that's far to abrupt sometimes. The buttons, whilst not really an issue, are not super responsive. The finish and design are not 'high end' at all. The yellow glow it gives off is great for the first 20 minutes when the lamp brightens up, but it really needs a white light bulb in there. I've had to put a white light bulb in a lamp on a timer, which goes off 10 minutes before the lamps full brightness.

It feels very plasticy. This wouldn't bother me a jot if I had paid the 30 I feel it's worth and I wouldn't even bother to mention all the little details. But again, at 100+ for what is essentially a *very* cheaply made lamp on a timer, I expect high end attention to detail.

I do like the lamp. It's a great idea, but essentially, its design and manufacturing are flawed and lacking for it's price point. Had it been more realistically priced for what is a cheaply made item, I would have given more stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, 29 Jan 2013
I work shifts (6-2 and 2-10) and have found that I am actually waking up on my early shifts just before the alarm sound starts due to the light. I also find the sunset function (decreasing light) useful for getting off to sleep on a night ready for the early starts.

I haven't yet used the USB slot, but intend to use this once I've had a chance to get a new memory stick and load something on. However, the standard alarm sounds (which start very quiet and increase gradually) are ok so I haven't rushed to sort the USB out just yet.

The display dims to quite a low level (adjustable) so and is just visible when the room is dark which is a good function, and the fact the bulb can be replaced (some other models are sealed I believe making the bulb irreplacable) is good.

I found the controls easy enough (some have mentioned difficulties) - I haven't referred to the manual and have sussed everything out without any problems.

As far as function goes it seems very good so far (had it for about 1 month). It's not the most beautfil object (I suppose the design element is limited by function), but I think many of the sunrise alarms are not particularly attractive - I seen some pretty ugly looking ones before I decided on this one!

All in all I am happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended, 3 Jan 2013
Mr. A. Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my partner although I must admit that in the back of my mind I hoped that I'd find it helped me getting up in the morning as well. I can confidently say that it does help, even though it is on my partners side of the bed so not as bright for me as it could be to wake me up. Both of us have found we gently wake up about 10-15 mins before our alarms go off and this happens every morning we have the lamp alarm set. So in short I'd thoroughly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 28 Dec 2012
I've had this about 6 months now, and it works really well. I keep thinking I've woken up naturally at 7am, only to realise it's because the light's on at a low level when I roll over. I'm still using the built-in birdsong sounds too, which didn't turn out to be as repetitive as I thought they might.

One minor point is that it's a shame the USB port doesn't put out more power so you can charge devices - seems like a missed opportunity. Your iPhone or iPad won't even register it's plugged in, and if you leave it plugged in while powered on, it seems to actually drain power, maybe since it stops the device from going on standby? However! If you completely power off the device after plugging in, it will charge, albeit at an incredibly slow rate. My iPad 2 gets about 50% charge overnight, which is ok for an occasionally-used iPad, but not nearly enough to keep your phone going for a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product and company, 22 Nov 2012
Great investment. Waking up rested, without that jolt from the alarm. Beautiful bed side light as well. AND Philips is an outstanding company. After 3 years of daily use, one button on the earlier model of this alarm malfuntioned - Philips replaced my light in days (as it was not possible to repair the earlier model). I wish more companies cared about their customers like Philips. They want quality products and customer relationships to last. Bravo.

ARRAY(0xa7cac558)