4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to work fine but...
Published 13 months ago by T. NICHOLSON

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have known better
Published 18 months ago by Keith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to work fine but..., 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
I agree with many of the lower star ratings. First point is that the screws supplied are completely useless, the slots quickly disintegrate when attempting to fix the brackets. Don't try to use them. There are probably too few of them as well. Second point, the instructions lack detail in all the vital points, e.g. it tells you to measure the handlebars to saddle but then not how to apply the measurement to the gap between the brackets. You have to judge this from the fuzzy picture but maybe an exact measurement is not material. Also, I ignored the advice the feed the "rope" through all the mechanism before starting to fix it to the rafter. Just tie a good knot in the saddle one end and thread it through after you have fixed both brackets. It must be easier than have all that string wrapping around you as you fix it up.

However, once fixed the system works fine (well after a week or so). Some people have said it doesn't pull evenly but if you pull it up a bit the front rises, if you then pause, the back comes up and the front goes down, equalising the load. It does this up to the top.

All in all a neat idea executed with poor quality materials. But for less than £10, it's hardly surprising. I would buy it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have known better, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
Arrived as promised, excellent. But, poor quality fittings, thin cord and narrow pulley blocks. Hanging brackets detached from saddle whilst being raised and uneven lift as bike ascends. Upgraded screws, adapted brackets, but have no confidence in the system. Have seen better alternatives in the US but not available in the UK. Thought it was worth a punt, but poor reviews were absolutely right. Have removed from joists, and will give to local recycling outlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Space Saver, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
Easy to assemble and installed on the rafters of my garage without problem. My cross trail bike now hangs above the bonnet of my wife's car allowing us to walk around the car once again. The locking mechanism works well preventing the bike dropping on the car and I can raise the bike without having to take the car out of the garage.I did consider buying a more expensive hoist but very glad I didn't. This one is excellent value and performs as it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
Absolutely splendid, though the screws supplied were cheap and nasty and the heads became chewed very easily. Does make putting the bike up and down very easy; in fact, I tend to lift it down, rather than lower it, and just use the pulley to raise it!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a reasonably good solution but rope is a weakness, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
This is a good piece of kit if you want to get your bikes off the floor and out of the way - but watch your head ;)

Installation is quite straight forward once you've worked out what goes where. I laid mine out on the floor first so I could follow the instructions - which aren't too clear in places. Once you know how it looks, the rest is fairly easy.

I installed mine to the beams which run along the length of the garage supporting the roof structure. The instructions will tell you to tie a knot in the end of the rope, but in my installation this meant that I couldn't screw the mounting plates up tightly as the knot was causing it to hang down a bit from the beam. So I marked where the knot was, and drilled a countersunk hole in the bean for the rope knot to sit in. Problem solved :D

Others have commented on the hooks being a bit of an issue, and I agree with them. We have four bikes, and the seating and handlebar arrangements are different on them all. This makes it difficult to find a suitable location to hook the bike to. Handlebars aren't usually a problem, but if you put the hooks under the seat of a mountain bike for example, the chances are that the hooks for the hoist will release as you are hauling the bike up (or down). I've had the bike on my head a couple of times. So I started hooking the hooks under the frame at the back of the seat (where the brake calipers usually sit). This can be a better option on some bikes, but not on all. Also, you have to make sure the rope doesn't rub against the seat while you're hoisting or lowering the bike.

The rope itself is nice and soft to hold, but it frays very easily and I can't see it lasting too long. I've already identified it as a weakness, so when it does get to a point where I don't trust it to take the bike up and down safely, I'll replace it with some decent quality rope.

Overall I think this is quite a good solution, although I think it's a bit on the cheap side with respect to materials. It could be much better, but for the price you pay, I think it's a worthwhile purchase - just be aware of the issues I note above and what other reviewers have mentioned, and you should be OK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
Easy to install and use.
Just plan where you want it and the positions correctly for your before you put it up.
Well worth the very small cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed for my Garage, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
Now my bikes are stored out of the way.
Note: I needed to purchase a plank of wood to fit it to the rafters in my garage ceiling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle storage, 12 Nov 2012
Brilliant ! Great service and product

We bought two for the garage and are really impressed.

We have no hesitation in recommending these

5.0 out of 5 stars great space saver, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
this was a treat for me, I have high ceilings so plenty of room for storage in the roof space,
the bike was always getting in the way, and now it is tucked up in the roof and it has freed up a big space,
hard wearing and durable for this application.
the only recommendation I would give would be to get different rope for this as I have found the rope I was supplied is fraying with time.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 5 Mar 2014
G. buchan "gord..." (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Streetwize SWCA4 Bicycle Garage Wall Lift (Automotive)
But the hooks are not angled enough for bike seats, (well mine anyway) the handle bar hooks are ok though. I don't trust it with my bike hanging up there off a piece of rope which is not the best rope either and sounds very rough when in use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›