‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sequel, 15 Dec 2010
First off, let me say I'm an adult, having never read the Pooh stories when I was a child. Now for the review:

The House At Pooh Corner is just as good, if not better, than the original Winnie the Pooh. It's a shame Milne only wrote two (prosaic) Pooh books - but then I think that's also what makes them so special. I made sure I savoured this slowly, reading a chapter every now and then. It is actually a superb read for adults - Milne is an author of great skill (both in technique and in story telling), and there are so many nuances in the text; it's not too difficult to see Milne's world view and philosophies behind the surface of each chapter, and his stories so wonderfully reflect his wonder at the imagination of children. Each of the character personalities is so distinct, too - Milne often makes fun of society, particularly by cheekily capitalising certain words. And Shepard's illustrations are ingenious, capturing the essence of Milne's descriptions humorously and, I'm sure, accurately. Finally, the grammar and punctuation is fantastically old school and top drawer - a much better reference than a dry text on the subject. If you want a refreshing break from your day-to-day life, are an adult that wants to awaken their inner child, or if you want to transport yourself to a world where life is simple and delightful, read The House At Pooh Corner! In fact, there is a lot to be said for reading early years fiction as an adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the Disney cartoons, 25 May 2010
Ruth O'D (Limerick, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Apparantly JRR Tolkien stipulated before his death that on no account was the Disney company to be allowed to get hold of his work, it's a pity A A Milne didn't do the same. The original Disney film - Winnie The Pooh - The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh [DVD] [1977] - isn't too bad; a little cute perhaps, but it does use the original stories and mostly keeps to the spirit of the books. Since then, however, Pooh Bear and his friends have become just another group of cute Disney animals who love each other and learn trite lessons about caring and sharing. Eeyore has perhaps suffered the most - from a wonderful bitter, sarcastic, patronising character he has become a mild depressive who only wants to be loved.

So don't be put off by the cartoons, these stories are wise, funny and poetic. They deal with all the faults and foibles of adult society; Pooh's laziness, greed and thoughtlessness, Piglet's cowardice and insecurity, Rabbit's bossiness and impatience, Tigger's boastfulness - I could compare it to Middlemarch for it's insight into human character and power of observation, but it is much funnier and is simple enough to be enjoyed by very young kids. A A Milne's unusual way of writing adds greatly to the stories; he writes in his own particular, rather mock-heroic style with lots of Unnecessary Capitals for Emphasis - I'd love to type out the whole book, but here is a little sample from the title story - "Thank you, Piglet," said Pooh. "What you have just said will be a Great Help to us, and because of it I could call this place Poohanpiglet Corner if Pooh Corner didn't sound better, which it does, being smaller and more like a corner."

My favourite stories are those about Rabbit; 'Rabbit's Busy Day' and 'Tigger is Unbounced' (maybe because I see a little of myself in Rabbit!). In the second of these, he tries, with Pooh and Piglet's help, to lose the boisterous Tigger in the forest so they can find him again "a Humble Tigger ... a Sad Tigger, a Melancholy Tigger, a Small and Sorry Tigger, an Oh-Rabbit-I-am-glad-to-see-you Tigger" - it all goes wrong, Rabbit gets lost, and instead HE is rescued by "a Friendly Tigger, a Grand Tigger, a Large and Helpful Tigger ..."

There's an essay, a sermon or a book on human psychology in every chapter but most of all it's an absolute pleasure to read - in my house we know bits of it off by heart. I prefer 'The House at Pooh Corner' to the first Winnie the Pooh book, which I think is a little sweeter and less clever, but it may just be because I read this one first.

I can't resist another quote - Tigger is stuck up a tree and the animals are debating how to get him down:

"I thought," said Piglet earnestly, "that if Eeyore stood at the bottom of the tree, and if Pooh stood on Eeyore's back, and if I stood on Pooh's shoulders -"
"And if Eeyore's back snapped suddenly, then we could all laugh. Ha Ha! Amusing in a quiet way," said Eeyore, "but not really helpful."
"Well," said Piglet meekly, "I thought -"
"Would it break your back, Eeyore?" asked Pooh, very much surprised.
"That's what would be so interesting, Pooh. Not being quite sure till afterwards."

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect voice, 6 April 2001
Alan Bennett's voice is superb for this reading of the Winne-the-pooh stories. My favourite is his version of Eeyore. A treat for listeners young and old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger. What more do you need?, 27 Aug 2001
By A Customer
One of my favourite books of all time (and im 22 now) and still i read it once in a while. The strength of the book lies in the simplicity of the stories themselves. Eeyore is as gloomy and tragic as ever while Pooh as ever continues along his way appreciating the simple things in life, like using your imagination and hunting woozles and heffalumps. Milne's interpretation of a childhood through toy friends is an excellent parllel with my experiences when younger and his tales are likely to strike a chord with readers of all ages. Rediscovering "pooh sticks" earlier on this year led me to read the book again and i remembered the stunningly unexpected undertones in the last chapter of the book. Piglet, Owl, Pooh, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo all feature, not forgetting the fabulously fun filled feline that is Tigger. A must for a desert island book list.

5.0 out of 5 stars a much-loved classic revisited, 1 Mar 2007
Mr. Ian A. Macfarlane "almac1975" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I can remember reading this as a small child and laughing until it hurt (in the Heffalump story). In places it is very funny, but it's much more than that. Pooh is a most attractive character for a child - cuddly, friendly, not very bright, usually cheerful, a bit silly .... and he is supported, as are all the animals, by the most wonderful, gentle, characterful illustrations by E.H. Shepherd. It seems in a way a shame to analyse why this book (and, of course, its companion 'Winnie the Pooh') is so successful and has lasted so well - tempting just to be grateful that it's there for our children to read, and for us to read to them. But there is an interesting mix of personalities among the animals( bouncy, rather irritating Tigger, cynical Eeyore, reliable but timid Piglet, busy animal-of-affairs Rabbit), the stories are all beautifully crafted, the little rhymes (the 'hums') are immediately memorable and a lot of funny things happen. Put all these things together with the wonderful pictures and add an indefinable 'extra something' and you've got this treasurable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood pleasures, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: The House at Pooh Corner (Kindle Edition)
Great story, timeless and enjoyed by all sorts of ages! Read it for fun
it speaks of long term loving and kind relationships

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood revisited, 17 Mar 2011
I had this book when I was a child and its exactly how I remember it (unlike many things). A fantastic purchase. The kids and I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot the human, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The House at Pooh Corner (Kindle Edition)
Very good Kindle edition. Timeless and brilliant book reminding you of so many different humans you know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Winnie the Pooh, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The House at Pooh Corner (Kindle Edition)
I purchased the book originally for my son who is now over sixty. I find that the humour in it is somewhat beyond the grasp of young children so I found it necessary to read it to him and became addicted to it myself. I liken some of the characters to people I know, and find they fit very well. This is in a pleasing manner, not insulting, I can even find a spot for me, but hesitate to identify which character. A lovely book which does not grow old but retains some innocence and is full of good humour

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, 12 Feb 2014
This was my favourite as a child and it still an all time classic. my 4 yr old daughter loves too equally as much and their just as lovely, if not more for us adults too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›