4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Debut
Published on 1 Jan. 2010 by Lincs Reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful
This book seems to have been an attempt to write a chick-lit novel by numbers. For me it just highlighted how much better other authors are at this style of writing. I struggled with it to the end, the main charactor was not likeable or really interesting and engaging enough to want to read about.

Skip this book if you are looking for quality.
Published on 15 Mar. 2011 by Claire Hanna

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Debut, 1 Jan. 2010
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Yes, the cover looks like chick-lit, and yes, it is chick-lit - but I really enjoyed this read. The term 'chick-lit' is often dismissed as second-class writing which annoys me a bit to be honest, I dont think the book covers do any favours either. If you want an enjoyable read, with likeable characters, a bit of humour and some soul-searching, then 'Confessions' is just the ticket.
Cassie - the heroine of the book is a great character, likeable but daft, dizzy but loyal and although you'd like to strangle her for spending her last few pounds on £170 jeans, you cant fail to back her all the way. The other characters range from the hateful, city trader Dan to peace-loving, vegan, hippy Jude, and not forgetting Ali - Cassie's best friend who is so cool and glamorous it's hard to see just how come they are best mates.
Everything that can go wrong for Cassie does go wrong, from losing her well-paid job as a city PA, to being dumped by her boyfriend, to having to attend a society wedding in (shock horror!) a dress from the High Street no less. But Cassie is one of those characters that although really you should just hate her, the reader ends up backing her all the way - she puts a funny positive spin on everything. There are some real laugh out loud moments, the story-line is bang up-to-date with tales of failing banks, redundancies and recession - yet still it's a hopeful and happy read.
There are similarities to Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series - but Cassie is a much more likeable character than Becky Bloomwood. A really good debut novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista, 31 Oct. 2009
Cassie Cavanagh has a great job, a great boyfriend and earns enough money to keep her in shiny new shoes and fabulous clothes. What Cassie doesn't reckon on is being sacked from her job due to the recession. Not only that but her boyfriend dumps her for an older woman. Cassie also seems to be spiralling into debt and is forced to listen to flatmate Jude's advice on money. Can Cassie claw her way out of the recession and stop spending money?

As I mentioned I was easily sucked into Cassie's world and it's easy to see why she spends so much money. Truth is, Cassie doesn't know any other way. She's always had her well-paid job as a PA to fund all of her spending habits so it comes as a complete surprise once she's out of a job and thus broke. Cassie tries a number of ways to make money. Most notably by walking dogs. Cassie being a dog walker had me laughing out loud. I have two dogs and struggle sometimes to control them so I could imagine what it would be like to have 5 or so to walk at the same time. I like that after Cassie got over the shock of being out of a job and out of a boyfriend she eventually pulled herself together to try and find herself new employment. I also loved how Cassie's flatmate Jude helped her to try and cut down on her spending; it wasn't always completely logical but Jude had her heart in the right place. I loved both Cassie and Jude and found them incredibly likeable. They seemed polar opposites to each other; Cassie being a spendaholic and Jude being a bit hippy-like yet I found their friendship totally believable.

The book is very in the "now" not only with the recession but with Cassie and Jude having Sky Plus, each chapter starting with a Facebook update (Cassie Cavanagh loves her louboutins, for example) and it seemed very modern which I enjoyed. It's nice when authors can weave things like that into a book to make it more up to date. The book is told entirely in the first person, which was absolutely right for this novel. We didn't need anybody else's perspectives; Cassie was more than enough! Amy Silver wrote quite a bit about what it's like to work in the City (as a PA in Cassie's case and as a dealer in Ali's case) but it was easy enough to understand and even I enjoyed learning about it.

I have to admit that the ending was pretty open. I sincerly hope that means Amy Silver is working on a sequel. Cassie Cavanagh could become the anti-Becky Bloomwood and I'd happily read more of Cassie's adventures. She's just so incredibly likeable and it's difficult to dislike her even when she was ignoring Jude's advice. Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista truly is a great read and I wholly recommend it, it's definitely one of the best debuts around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Sept. 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have never read a book by Amy Silver before so had no expectations. The cover of the book looks very light hearted and the synopsis of the book seemed fitting with the state of our current economic climate. Cassie Cavanagh is introduced to us and immediately you like her. She has the air of being a typical girl about town throwing her credit card at anything that moves with no thought of the consequences.

You soon get introduced to her trader boyfriend Dan (a total rat) and her flatmate Jude who is everything Cassie is not. When Cassie goes into work one morning her world literally collapses around her. She is made redundant and at the same time her boyfriend dumps her for a much richer and older woman.

We also meet Cassie's friend Ali who has a high flying job within the same company Cassie worked for. The thing I loved about this book is how easy it was to get to know all the different people involved in Cassie's life. Ali was riot of a character with a very feisty attitude and as the book progresses Ali's problems become Cassie's problems too as Cassie struggles to help her friend. Jude who is incredibly straight laced is embroiled in some particularly funny incidents with Cassie. It seems that Cassie Cavanagh is a walking disaster!

There is a certain element of the familiar and a lot of people have likened this book to the `Shopaholic' series of books by Sophie Kinsella. I have to be honest and say that I actually preferred Cassie to the lead character Becky Bloomwood. She is ditzy and terribly bad with money, but underneath it all is a bright and hardworking girl.

The book is really current and especially makes for a great read as women are feeling the pinch themselves currently. The story itself is totally up there on believability, as I am sure the thousands that have been made redundant in the last year or so can agree with. Of course with this being Chick Lit it is very light hearted, which is just what readers want; after all there is enough depressing material to choose from out there!!!

I loved the characters, and the story was so easy to read. You find yourself rooting for Cassie to get through it. As ever there is a love story embroiled amongst everything else and this was (although predictable) another great element of the book. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Amy Silver and will certainly be looking out for others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be Reluctant to read this!, 11 Jun. 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is author Amy Silver's debut novel, and I was immediately drawn in by the catchy title and fresh looking cover too. The lead character of Cassie is very likeable and one that I was immediately drawn to. It didn't matter that I didn't have anything in common with her, she was just normal and funny, and you wanted to carry on reading to find out how it was going to progress for poor old Cassie. I loved how naive she was about money, thinking that her small redundancy wage was going to last forever but then had to come back down to earth with a bump. I felt so sorry for her but also wanted to shake her because she was a bit too daft at times, but it works for the book! It's written in the first person from Cassie's perspective, and this is why the reader can grow to love her so much - we're in her head and what comes out is totally uncensored and often hilarious and cringy, but it makes for a fab reading!

There are quite a few other characters in the book but they aren't as big a part as Cassie plays. Her flatmate Jude was a very down to earth character who was the thorn in Cassie's side because she kept harping on about money in a realistic way. I liked her as she had a good side story as well with a sweet romance, and I enjoyed the development of this plot. Cassie's best friend Ali wasn't around much but had a bit of a "mystery" plot which I did guess quite early on but added a more grown up storyline to the book which I enjoyed. Cassie's boyfriend Dan was the "Mr Nasty" of the book, and Silver has really written such a wally, you have to wonder if he's based on a real person!

The author has clearly done her research about the topics in this book. She puts in a fair bit about banking, a subject which doesn't interest me at all and makes it interesting, and then throws the book in a totally different direction towards the end which I loved and was clearly well researched too! What I really loved about this book was the amount of things going on, and how frequently the direction of the book changed. It often moved around following the different characters but kept Cassie at the heart of it and the reader wanting to know about the lives of these people. As the book goes on, more characters are introduced but it's easy to keep track of them because of the great writing style and development of the book.

It is a book that it very applicable in this day and age but I can see its one that can be enjoyed at any time as well. It's incredibly well written, very enjoyable and one of those books you would struggle to put down once you begin it! If I have one complaint about the book, its that it is only just over 300 pages long... I could have read double that amount about Cassie! I loved the feel of the book, its uplifting and funny at the same time and a great escapist book. For a debut novel, I was incredibly impressed and I hope Amy Silver is going to continue with writing as I think she is going to have a good career ahead of her! Brilliant, and highly recommended - I think this will be a hit!

4.0 out of 5 stars How Cassie deals with financial meltdown, 17 Dec. 2010
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista (Kindle Edition)
Cassie suddenly finds herself out of a job as well as being dumped by her boyfriend. Her flatmate, Jude, is exasperated with her because she keeps going shopping when she should be staying in and job hunting so that she has the money to pay the rent.

Cassie is having a meltdown and common sense seems just too boring. Spending money helps her to feel better about herself. There were times when I wanted to shake Cassie but at other times I recognised her all too human qualities and wanted her to find a way out of her dire situation.

The book is written from Cassie's perspective and I liked the way she did admit her own faults. Her relationship with Jude is far from perfect and it looks like her best friend doesn't want to know her any more. But Cassie has the strength to overcome her problems. I enjoyed reading about her attempts to get a new job and to replenish her wardrobe cheaply.

I particularly enjoyed the last third of the book where the pace increases and Cassie shows her true qualities. There are lessons for us all to learn in this story though the message is not laboured. This is an enjoyable light read and I shall be looking out for more books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 5 Aug. 2010
A. M. Hawkins "my choice" (London) - See all my reviews
Despite the fact I'm from a different generation, I loved "Confessions of a Reluctant Recissionista" by Amy Silver. Who needs Robert Peston's elucidations on the credit crunch when Cassie and Co can give you the inside story!
I couldn't put the book down. It is well written in an easy flowing style with wonderful characterization and dialogue that is true to that particular generation of Londoners and often very funny. The plot twists and turns with the progress (or not) in Cassie's ability to cope with having her world turned upside down.
A surprising ending gave the book that extra dimension.
Please can we have a sequel Amy Silver - I would love to read about the next chapter in Cassie's life.
FGPK

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista (Kindle Edition)
Don't be fooled into thinking this another run of the mill chick-flick. I was so surprised when I read this book because there's what you think is going to happen and then what actually happens. It took me by surprise. Cassie Cavanagh is a girl with a serious spending problem which only gets worse after being paid off. 'Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista' is Cassie's story to finding stability in her life through friends, family and a lot of hilarious slip ups. I would highly recommend reading this. Just be warned that once you've read the first page, you won't be able to stop until you're done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - must read!!, 5 Jan. 2010
A. Alford - See all my reviews
I thought this book was brilliant - certainly had a comedy factor about it - although you can relate to it as we all have struggled in the recession. Very well written - big thumbs up!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 15 Mar. 2011

Skip this book if you are looking for quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleasant, 11 Nov. 2012
C. Seibert "Clare" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista (Kindle Edition)
This book is really very lovely to read. The book describes a very realistic young woman who is working hard and spending harder and one day it all goes wrong when she loses her job. Although not as bad as Cassie, it certainly made me think a little about my own spending!