Dark Flame (The Immortals Book 4)
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.99

In Alyson Noel's fourth book in the popular Immortals Series, protagonist Ever Bloom delves deeper into the magick left off in Shadowland. In an attempt to find a future for her relationship with Damen something goes terribly wrong and she ends up bound to Roman, her immortal enemy. Now all she can think about is him, his heartbeat, being near him...In a panic to solve the spell, Ever is lost, the one person who may be able to help her is the one person she can never tell...and she turns to Jude...

But that's not all she has to worry about, Haven, her newly turned Immortal friend, who is drunk on her powers and threatens to expose their Immortal existence, not to mention her closeness to Roman...

Once again, Alyson Noel delivers in fine form, a riveting, enchanting and addictive novel. The writing is beautiful and the storyline is never dull. That is what is so great about her as an author, it's never what you expect, there is always an exciting twist to keep you guessing. This book is another 'can't put down' and leaves you desperate to find out the fate of both Ever and Damen, as they struggle to be together.

I also like that Ever's character is so resilient, she's been through a lot of torment in the books, but she is determined to keep fighting.

This is an excellent sequel to an already high standard of books. It continues the story well and sets the pace for the next instalment. Wonderfully written and powerful, highly recommended to existing Immortals fans and new fans alike - this is one series you won't want to put down!
on 9 April 2012
The Immortal Series is one of the best series I have ever read. I read this book back in February 2011 and this series just keeps gets better.

After the way Alyson ended Shadowlands I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of Dark Flame.

I spent the entire book hoping thing's would get better for Ever and Damon but sadly I was wrong, and things got much worse.

Ever turns to magick to help her find the poison she needs so she can be with Damon with out the protection of the energy field, but instead of casting the banding spell so Roman is bound to her she ends up binding herself to Roman.

Romy and Rayne try to help Ever undo the curse that Ever casts upon herself, she just makes it even worse and Ever can't seem to keep away from Roman.

I totally love this series. It is full of suspense and had me gripped with every page and never wanting the roller-coaster to end. I love being involved with Ever and Damon's journey and I'm filled with emotion every time things start to go wrong.

The emotional roller-coaster that Alyson puts Ever on is devastating. I love the situations and the main characters. I'm not a fan of Jude because in my opinion Ever belongs with Damon. I used to love Haven until this book, she is totally different now she is Immortal she is now also evil and Roman I've never like him, from when he was first introduced into the series.

This is definitely a series I am going to continue to love even when its over.

If you haven't started reading this series yet, you are missing out on an amazing love story that is tested to the very limit time and time again.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the fourth book in The Immortals series so this review may contain spoilers for the previous books. you have been warned [ ; D ]

It has been a while since I read the 3rd book in the series as I saved the 4th and 5th books to read when I knew the date for the last in the series was going to be published so I wouldn't forget what was going on and could compulsively read one after the other. You don't believe me then how come I have Alyson Noel week [ : p ] One thing I would like to say before I get into the review is, I am really grateful that Alyson stated how many books were going to be in the series, that way you know that you are going to get resolution and like me you can save the books to read in succession. I do feel that some series goes on for far to long and resolution isn't achieved and readership drops away. What do you guys think?? Sorry for some randomness at the start of my review but it was on my mind.

As I said it has been a while since I read Shadowland but there are nice little recaps woven into the narrative that bring the storyline back to life, I think it is necessary to read this series in order otherwise you will miss a lot of the nuances of the plot and interaction of the characters that really add depth to the storyline. I had however, forgotten how annoying Ever can be.

Ever must be one of the most annoying protagonists well ever (no pun intended lol) yet without her stubbornness and ability to ignore any advice she is given, leading her to make the most glaring wrong decisions the story wouldn't work. I have to admit that one of the reasons I compulsively turn the pages is to find out if she actually does develop into a 'nice' person.

The research into the alternative therapies, positive thinking, crystals, herbs, Wicca is just fantastic. Having done a HND in Complimentary Therapies I know a little more than the 'average' person about these things and the grounding in all of these just blew me away. It makes me realise why I was drawn to it in the first place. Philosophy, karma and positive thinking is something we should try to incorporate more of in our daily lives.

There isn't so much as a love triangle in this book as a smorgasbord of hot boys options for Ever to pick all with there own particular charms that are missing in the others, or so Ever thinks. Although I have always been a Damen girl myself, I can really see Jude's charm and Roman's sex appeal, so I can't really blame Ever for her indecision. There are a number of plot twists with regard to Ever's relationships, misdirection is the name of the game but which direction is the right one.

I have to mention the title of the book, Dark Flame, and how the wonderful metaphor of passion being a dark flame was depicted in the narrative. Imagine a flame burning inside you, how easily it consumes everything until nothing else matters but extinguishing that flame. You can identify with it can't you, I can (yes even at my age).

Despite or because of Ever, Alyson Noel's The Immortals bring out the best in me. They inspire positive thinking and a desire for good karma (yes,I know you think I am nuts now but they honestly do). For me I cannot think of higher praise to give this series than that - to be inspired to be a better person by reading these books.
on 28 August 2011
Ever is trying to help Haven's transition into life as an immortal. However with Haven totally drunk on her new powers and acting recklessly, she poses the ultimate threat of exposing their secret world to the outside world. Ever struggles to keep the Immortals hidden, and Haven propels herself closer to the enemy. The enemy being Roman and his evil companions
frantic to break the spell before its too late, Ever turns to Jude for help, risking everything she knows and loves to save herself--and her future with Damen ...
At the same time as all this going on, Ever delves deeper into dark magick to free Damen from Roman's power. Then her spell backfires and it binds her to the one guy who is totally hell bent on bringing upon her destruction.Ever now has a strange, pulse coursing through her that is foreign to her. It seems that no matter what she does and how hard she tries, she cannot stop herself from thinking about Roman and even more distasteful she finds herself longing for his touch. Ever struggles to resist the fiery attraction that threatens to totally consume her. With Ever in a weakened state Roman is more than willing to take advantage .The problem is that as time goes by Ever edges closer and closer to surrender. Ever becomes desperately frantic to break the spell before it is too late. Ever even turns to Jude for help, she is willing to risk everything she has, knows and loves to save herself and secure a future with the love of her life Damen. Can Jude help? Will he even want to help?
I suppose you would look at the synopsis above and think wow this book is action packed.....well it has a lot going on but its just all going on too too too long! I felt like I wanted to hurry the story up again, the pace seems to be getting slower as the series progresses it has me at a point where i am thinking do I want to risk trying the next book, but then I want to know the outcome , I want to know if there is the much wanted and anticipated happy ending.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Alyson Noel is back. After struggling through SHADOWLAND, DARK FLAME returns readers to the high expectations of THE IMMORTALS series.

I have done this entire series via audio book, and after struggling to get through SHADOWLAND, I was a bit wary of beginning this one. But unlike SHADOWLAND, DARK FLAME picks up immediately with Haven's new immortality and her eagerness to get on with her new life. From that moment on, I was hooked. The seven disks seemed to fly by of their own accord.

Ms. Schorr continues to spellbound as she narrates the world of Ever Bloom. With Haven's new immortality, Ms. Schorr picks up the excitement that Haven is exhibiting. She is able to translate from the written page to the spoken word all the wonders that Haven is experiencing. She distinctly delineates the difference between Ever's more laid-back and almost hesitant approach to life against Haven's eagerness and hunger to disconnect herself from her former existence.

I found DARK FLAME far more appealing to listen to than the previous installment of the series. At no point did I find myself wishing to fast-forward through any part of the story. I was enthralled listening to Ms. Schorr tell the tale. The twins from SHADOWLAND take a back seat in this part of the series, but missing-in-action Ava is back, and of course the ongoing saga of Roman, Damen, and Jude continues.

Unlike some other young adult series that have been released as audio books, Macmillan has done the right thing by continuing to utilize the same narrator for the series. Ms. Schorr's voice adds consistency from the first pages of EVERMORE on through the last chapter of DARK FLAME. I hope to continue to hear Ms. Schorr as the series moves to the next installment, NIGHT STAR, in November 2010.

Reviewed by: Jaglvr
on 2 August 2011
Ever's best friend, Haven, is now an Immortal. Ever hopes that she will be able to learn how to not become engulfed by all her new powers, but Haven loves the new her and doesn't understand why Ever cautions her to stay away from Roman. On top of "loosing" her friend to her enemy, Ever also is still unable to "touch" Damen. In an attempt to keep Roman at a distant, Ever preforms a binding spell that completely backfires on her. She suddenly finds herself attracted to Roman, and not in a friendly way, but in an obsessive can't-live-without-him way. Ever carries this 'burden' alone, refusing to tell anyone, including Damen. She even turns to Summerland just to feel normal again, as normal as an Immortal can feel, but finds only more questions.

In an unlikely place, Ever is able to turn to Jude. She also finds herself soon questioning Ava and her motives. Throughout the book Ever finds her self in desperate situations and making desperate choices. While trying to protect herself she also tries to protect those she loves, but finds she can no longer do it alone.

While this installment of The Immortals was good it was not as good as the previous books. I was continuously frustrated with Ever and the choices she made. I was at times screaming at the book yelling at her to tell Damen what is going on. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't just talk to Damen or anyone else for that matter. It started to become a little annoying, reading her inner thoughts without action. Whether this was done on purpose, I will have to wait for the next installment, Night Star.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars more because of the plot line. While Alyson Noel did an amazing job at the writing style, there were too many time where the plot itself seemed to drag on. I feel like the book itself could have been compressed and made much shorter if some of the unnecessary plot points were taken out, as it just seemed to repeat itself. I do hope that in the next installment Ever's character become more adult and more plot is developed.
on 27 March 2011
In the last book Ever was left with a choice of letting her friend Haven die or turn her into an immortal-did she make the right decision? She also realised her connection to Jude as she found out that he was a reincarnation of a love interest of hers in previous lives.

Dark Flame flowed on well from Shadowland, so much so that after reading both, I felt that the two books merged into one. It was like Noel wrote Dark Flame and Shadowland was an extension added before, so in a way not separate books in their own right. This is because there was not really anthing new to the storyline-still mainly the antidote and most recently magick. I think that Noel should have just done one book for Shadowland and Dark Flame as Shadowland could have been shortened and just been added to the beginning of Dark Flame. Much, much more seemed to happen in Dark Flame so this is not a dig towards this book but to Shadowland.

I enjoyed the fight scenes which I also did from the end of Evermore too and the dark magick which is a BIG part of the story now as Ever accidentally binds herself to Roman (OMG)!!! I was so engrossed at the end-what a shock ending!!!

The only really negative is the story of the antidote as it starts to get a bit old and I thought Noel would have tied-up that storyline by now and added a new plot. Even with this I think that this is my favourite of all-but let's see what Night Star brings!
on 13 May 2012
I did not buy this fourth book originally since I wanted to see how books two and three developed. I saw it in the supermarket for £3 so thought, why not! Well, for £3 it was value for money and I did read it quickly to find out what was going to happen. But,in the end it was a story of no real substance. Damon came across lame, Ever desperate if at times stupid (which I guess was the point), and the story just well...could have been better. Probably good enough for young teens!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 August 2011
I felt the first two thirds of this book dragged, there was not much of a spark to keep me wanting to read, just determination to see how The Immortals end was my focus point. I felt the story jumped around a little bit and actions were taken with not much of an explanation. I put this down to the book being written in the first person, who would not necessarily know what was going on with the other characters. This at times I found annoying.

With that said, the final third of the book saved it. The momentum picked up and although we were back to the usual teenager trying to make decisions and not listening to other's advice, there was enough there to make it worth while reading Dark Flame.

I'm hoping that the next instalment has more meat to it and is not another filler book waiting for the ultimate ending.
on 23 October 2011