4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer, but some catches
Published on 22 Sep 2011 by ian

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent mid range printer
The printer is a breeze to set up and had it talking to my network of PC's and Mac's in next to no time.

The scanner software is great, and the general functionality of the machine is easy to use and operate

Published on 4 Feb 2011 by Not so PC Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer, but some catches, 22 Sep 2011
ian "ian" (Albi, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother MFC9460CDN High Speed Network Colour Laser Multifunction Printer With Automatic Duplex & Fax (Personal Computers)
I had an Epson CX11 for 3 years which performed perfectly throughout. However, it doesn't do double sided printing and this would be very useful to me so, after much research, I bought the Brother MFC9460CDN when the Epson finally died. I year in, I am posting this for anyone who is looking at laser printers because there isn't a lot of info available for users on these machines. I work form home and use this as my office printer, with a high volume of scanning & printing.
First thing to say, is that the Brother is a well built printer, easy to use and change cartridges and it has been 100% reliable. Double sided printing is perfect. However, there are a few points it is worth knowing about before you commit:
1. It has separate colour toner cartridges, but you have to replace all 3 at the same time. This has happened twice to me so far, so it can't be a coincidence that they ran out at the same time. The cartridges are seriously expensive (100 each for high capacity ones), so over 300 each time you need to replace them. The Epson allows each one to be replaced separately, saving a lot of money, and they are a fair bit cheaper.
2. The Brother document feeder is seriously flimsy. The out tray has a plastic extension which would be very easy to knock off and the documents end up all over the floor without this piece of plastic. The Epson has a proper document feeder with full size out tray.
3. The Brother scanner is decent, but just not as good quality as the Epson. I had to fiddle with the default settings quite a lot to get a decent quality.

In summary, if you really want double sided copying, then I would definitely recommend this printer for its quality of construction and ease of use. It just feels well built (like buying a German car).
If you don't need double sided copying, then I would strongly recommend the Epson CX11 (or CX 21 the new model) - although it costs a bit more, it will save you a lot of money over its life and produce a better quality of output.

UPDATE NB see comments attached for more details re reducing operating costs - they will save you a lot of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent mid range printer, 4 Feb 2011

Print speed and quality is perfectly adequate for this price, coupled with separate cartridges for separate colours should help reduce replacement toner costs which is a boost.

My only gripe (and the reason it only gets a 3 from me) is that photo quality prints are poor even on the best settings and using the finest print media, if you're using this printer for a lot of fine print or printing of pictures I would maybe look at other options first, however if you're looking for a general purpose all in one office laser this could be the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Office Printer, 13 Jan 2014
Robust printer for office environment - refills are a lower price that some of the rivals - printing is quick and true

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful printer, 20 Aug 2013
I bought this printer for my business and am very pleased with it. It is easy to set up and very quick clear printing.
It is an added bonus that it is also a scanner, copier and fax

4.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy but first impressions are good, 11 Mar 2014
I've always used Lexmark ink jet printers before but with my work from home charity expanding, I needed something with a bit more clout. Faced with a mind-bogglingly large selection of printers to choose from, it took some hours to narrow it down to a Brother and then eventually to this model. I based my decision on the good reviews on this site and the fact that although it was tall, it was the same width and weight as my Lexmark. Unfortunately, the little snippet of information stating the item weight to be 8kg was incorrect! The printer in fact weighs some 26kg and is much too heavy to go on the shelf above my monitor where I had hoped it would live. The packaging gave us a bit of a shock when it was delivered too, both myself and my husband could have squeezed into the box it came in! The printer was surrounded by some hefty polystyrene though, so not quite as large as our first impression.

I'm disappointed that I didn't spot that it's not wireless; there were so many other things to consider, I missed that. And being quite bulky, it can't go next to my computer, so I need to buy a 3m USB cable. Other than that, first impressions are good; it was easy to install, quite noisy on start-up but goes into a silent stand-by mode. Seems quite fast at printing; colour and photo definition is almost comparable to my Lexmark - not quite as sharp but good enough. I may update with more views as I get used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Quick service, 20 Sep 2013
Excelent product, the instalation was easy and the printer quality is beyond what was expected for the paid pric. On the other hand the packaging was clean and well handelled plus the product price is very good.