on 8 April 2012
I bought this book to help when I am needing inspiration to write and it is packed full of ideas. Highly recommended. The ideas are sorted into different topics, such as holiday, halloween etc and I have found it very useful.
on 19 December 2013
I bought the paperback edition of this book in 2011 and have been using it randomly ever since. The prompts contain enough variety of ideas to meet every writer's needs some of the time. For my purposes, I find that certain of the themed prompts work better for me than others - comedy makes me go even more blank; the weird (go figure!) seem stir my imagination vigorously!

Do not expect a book that tells you how to write - this is more a book that tries to stimulate your imagination enough to get your writing under your own steam. Nor is it a book you can sit & read through at one sitting - it's a book you dip into when you need help for a stale writing brain.

But it is an excellent book to have on hand when you're too tired to think of fresh ideas for yourself but want to keep your writing arm well oiled by doing some writing - any writing! - every day.

An interesting side effect of the prompts is that often I'd start writing on topic and then suddenly the story would veer off into a completely different direction. And there's nothing better than that feeling of the words flowing freely! :)
on 8 December 2012
Cohen's range and depth of ideas make you think. They cover all manner of occassions and could just power kick your creative juices to flow. I would recommend it to anybody either in a rut or creative off period to get back on the proverbial horse.
on 16 July 2013
By the time I'd read half-way through the first list, I was ready to chuck the Kindle through the nearest window. Don't know if it gets better, but the only celebration my household holds on 4 July is my husband's birthday, and no I don't feel 'a strong American pull'. In fact, I feel quite the opposite.........
on 10 October 2014
Hands up, I'm not a creative fiction writer.

I'm a news journalist but run my own personal blog alongside the main site.
On occasions I can hit a mental brick wall with regards to the days subject.

I purchased 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts on a whim, hoping I might find just one or two 'golden nuggets' for those days when I was a little stumped.
I found dozens upon dozens of ideas, and many more prompts that I could re-position to suit my own interests and that of my audience.

In fact I was so impressed I started to wonder just how many of the 1,000 ideas I could use - enough to warrant a weekly column that could comfortably run for a couple of years.

I would comfortably recommend this to any writer / blogger, if only for the excellent variety of subjects and suggestions that can be individually adapted to suit the reader.
on 28 July 2012
This was a very helpful book. Very useful for dipping in and out of when getting stuck. It certainly needs to be on every writer's bookshelf.
on 2 January 2012
I am in a middle of writng my own book but got really stuck and this book is already giving me more ideas of what to include. cheers :D
on 8 November 2012
Like other books of a similar ilk it does offer excellent advice. What writer cannot be inspired to dig into this book and maybe hit on that one idea that kicks off a brilliant text. My first title Laurence & Sophie & Colin: Going with the flow owes its life to one such book.
on 30 March 2014
I received this book from Story Cartel in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is the second book by Bryan Cohen that I have and I'm glad to say that he has not disappointed. This book is well written with interesting and creative prompts for most situations. But more than that for me was the advice and tips given at the start of the book. For example "write, just write". Sounds simple enough but when you've got your inner voice shrieking at you to forget it, sometimes you need to read it from someone else before you can start. I loved this book and have already put some of the tips to work and no doubt will be using more in the future. Remember, it takes just 30 days for form a habit :)
on 5 August 2015