Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 25 February 2011
Fallout New Vegas is a brillaint RPG. You have the freedom to roam over the Mojave wasteland and play the game how best suits you (sneak, hack, talk or laser your way through). If you want to "blaze" through and pick up the trophies/achievements, try the more stable Fallout 3: Game of the Year edition (I platinumed that on the PS3 in 80 hours, most of the quests result in a trophy - New Vegas trophies are structured in a way to encourage you to roam, not just trophy hunt). However, if you're remotely aware of RPG's and you can look past the bugs in this game (my PS3 slim did start to crash late in the game, even after patch 1.04, especially around Camp Forlorn Hope where there's lots going on) you will find that New Vegas is brilliantly executed. By the time you get to the end you'll know that every action has a consequence and that even the "right thing to do" can leave a bad taste in your mouth. I can't remember ever caring about in-game characters so much. How different is it to FO3? The game engine has been tweaked so there are subtle differences in the gameplay but the real changes are in the way the whole game has been thought out:

- More companions with a bigger role. Be careful who your friends are.
- Reputation with different groups means you can slaughter enemies and have friends.
- Strategic depth: your reputation matters at the end.
- Multi-path and well thought-out endings. Choose your own destiny.

Don't use a guide, you only get a trophy for a few of the not-main quests and you tend to get those whatever the outcome. Many of the trophies involve you playing the game as intended - roaming the wasteland and fighting for and against different groups. Just make sure you play it in hardcore mode; constantly drinking water in-game might seem like a pain but there's nothing quite like finding yourself in the desert and realising you've only got irradiated water to drink!
on 28 April 2011
I read a lot of negative comments and I expected a terrible game, but as a hardcore fallout fan I still bought it in March 2011. After downloading the patch I did not experience any problems for a long time. After more than 50 hours of gameplay I can say it is occasionally freezing, but not much more than Fallout 3 did, still it's good if you save often, just to be on the safe side (before your big decisions/multiple choices too). The game itself is fantastic and after playing so much I'm still very far from finishing it. It is like a mixture of the previous Fallout episodes (1, 2 and 3). The music is similarly fantastic to Fallout 3 and when I switched the radio(s) off I realized I could listen to the mystical background music of the first 2 episodes, which I really loved. You've got a huge amount of quests as well. The only thing that annoyed me was that some of them are not registered in our pipboy, so if you don't do it immediately you might forget it (sometimes some notes are added to our pipboy though). I also liked that completing some quests for somebody, which were essentially not negative, might still turn the other, rival factions against you. This way I had to make a fine balance between the parties, if I didn't want loads of mighty enemies at the beginning. The creatures (we can also have companions; Veronica and Rex were really helpful) and the atmosphere are also outstanding. I also liked the hardcore mode (though usually it did not mean much more, than a slight inconvenience) where I had to eat, drink and sleep and stimpacks, foods needed time to take effect. All in all if you loved the fallout universe or like good RPGs you have to have it.

Spoiler alert! Though you might have so many different endings (depending on your abilities and the story lines), the following PS section might contain some "spoilers".

PS: It took me well over 80 hours to "complete" it (I did the "yes man" version, where I killed Mr. House, defeated the legion by talk and the NCR by talk /using my robots for "power play"/). Nothing really changed, occasional freezing, but nothing major. I wait a bit and complete it with another storyline as well. Thanks for the game. Next time do not release it so fast. The 3 star average rating really hurts me (and with the patch it is really unfair).
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2011
First of all I'm not a english nativ and second I don't know what's happend with this game. I bought it when people said is working and after the patch 1.05. I have over 70 hours in this game and didn't have many issues with it. I say this because some people said is still a broken game after this patch. It's a very good written game, good story and a really big game. I mean, I finished the main quest and do many side quests and still have alot of thing to do. You can create weapons, meds, bullets, you can repair weapons and armor, add a component to a weapon to increase the characteristics of it. You have towns, lights, New Vegas by night, people who talk to, guns, new factions, you still have Brotherhood of Steel, robots and many things to shoot. Many are old but also new to Fallout: New Vegas. I like it more then Fallout 3 GOTY. So... I don't know what is happening to this game but for me is a good game.
A nice day to everyone.
on 25 December 2010
While being at first relucatant to buy the PS3 issue of Fallout Vegas,(as Fallout 3 on PS3 was atrocious compared to the PC or even Xbox 360 Versions) I can safely say that my fears of a Fallout Bethesda game on PS3 have been raised to a new level.
Vegas brings a heap of new problems to the table from screen tearing, broken quests, awful graphic comparision (once again! You'd expect Bethesda would make Vegas on PS3 a good looking game like on the other consoles) and of course the famous problem: Crashing.
A brilliant game (like Fallout 3) if a bit similar at times, with a huge amount of quests, perks, gear, companions and waaay too many endings (well 4 main ones, but think of all the companion endings!).
If i wasnt such a trophy addict, i'll go and pick up Vegas again on PC when its patched up well and possibly GOTY edition in future.
PS3 OWNERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
on 7 January 2011
Having battled through Fallout 3 GOTY edition. I cynically received this game expecting pretty much the same in terms of bugs, freezes and the overall instability of the game. But I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by just how stable this game is. I own the old PS3 60GB, so far I have logged 60+ hours of gaming and have nothing detrimental to report. Gone are all the issues which made Fallout 3 so troublesome for me to play. Granted I received the game for Xmas and there have been patches released before I got my hands on it. So some of the earlier critical reviews were probably spot on at the time. But for me it's everything Fallout 3 promised to be, but technically couldn't deliver. I'd certainly recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a long term gaming investment.
on 21 January 2011
Good:
New companion wheel (and Lily, got to love Lily)
Books vs magazines
hardcore mode
Modding weapons
Cooking stuff

Bad:
Has lost some of the originality, as I really enjoyed the feel of Fallout 3 (wastelands ravaged by nuclear war, the enclave, the brotherhood it was great), and this feels different, just not quite the same universe.
I agree with what a lot of people have already said about the freezing. You absolutely positively HAVE to save it every 5 mins, as the thing locks up all the time it's really frustrating

Lets face it it's more fallout, and Fallout 3 was just great.
So you try to convince yourself that the bad points aren't that bad, because at the end of the day...it's still good fun.
on 5 February 2011
Picked this up on a great deal from amazon. The game is massive, detailed and very immersive. I have played a few times for over 3 hours and not realised it!

A game this size and rich in quality for anything less than £20 is a bargain!

NB:

For those of you that have played fallout 3 and believe this to just be a re-skin etc.

Well, your not really far off, however the addition of "vegas" really spices things up. Some tweaks to gameplay, and a fresh story to follow all add to the "new" experience.

I loved fallout 3 and am really enjoying this. To think that smaller games on PSN/XBLA are around the same price as this and last a few hours...this will go way into the 40 hour mark and still satisfy!
on 23 November 2010
this is one of the most buggy games ive ever seen, not only are the people in it - floating above there beds/half buried in dirt/facing corners, dogs standing on its masters head while she slept, man standing on back of chair, land mines that cant be seen killing you, map telling you your facing the wrong way when you can see ya not, the hills are mostly unclimbable, quests un completable- zombie needs to be killed, but hes in a house with no doors to enter it, dept collector quest freezes game on completion.
not to mention all the times this game freezes, im currently stuck in casino 38, every time i try to leave it freezes. as ive already re started this game cos it kept freezing, it can bloody well go back to shop.
did i mention their customer service is poo, "sorry nothing we can do to help" you will have to re start the game...
sod off
on 20 February 2014
I played Fallout 3. Oblivion: Elder scrolls and Skyrim so I thought I would try this. Usually with these RPG Bethesda games you can expect a crash, freeze or glitch now and again as they are huge games. But honestly with this game - which I completed - it must of crashed, froze or glitched well over 40 times! Which considering I played it for around 20 hours is pretty terrible (and don't mentioned the console as it doesn't ever have problems) lets say for a minute that these problems didn't occur then I'd probably give it a 4 star review.

It's a good game - too big to be honest! There is too much to do when really there is no need to do probably 1/3rd of the games missions - obviously you want side missions and extras, but first of all if it jepodizes the game itself or just becomes ridiculously big then there really isn't much point (others will disagree as it's the norm with todays games - e.g. GTA 5 and it's to be expected) and I wasn't too keen on the actual storyline itself. But the gameplay was different enough from Fallout 3 and it was still a cool follow on from that with the old vaults scattered about everywhere. I do really enjoy the Bethesda games they are usually fantastic, this was probably the worst of the lot (because of the problems) but the gameplay is decent and longetivity is excellent, graphics aren't too bad - same as the others. I enjoy the targeting system which was first introduced for Fallout 3 and glad they kept this in the game, there were some great features added too. I'd recommend this game but only if it works.
on 1 January 2014
I really enjoyed Fallout 3, New Vegas' predecessor, and so got very excited when I saw this for the `amazing' price of £25.

At the time, to be fair, it probably was an amazing price. If I'd known I wouldn't get round to playing it 'til now, I would have waited. But that's the general point of the Bargain Games Club.

Fallout New Vegas follows much the same mechanics as Fallout 3. You are a character who has cause to explore the wasteland, with a series of main quests to follow, alongside a load of side quests you can pick up. Combat can be up close and personal, or ranged with a variety of weapons to suit either style. The V.A.T.S. targeting system is still used, and the levelling system of points and perks is much unchanged.

What makes New Vegas different is the introduction of factions to the wasteland. Now, instead of just having an overall `karma' score, tallying good and bad deeds, your popularity with several different - opposing - factions is tracked.

This adds an interesting element of decision making to the quests. Before, it was blanket `good' or `evil' choices, but now things are more complicated, with multiple points of view to consider before actions are committed to.

I'm undecided about this, even after completing the game. On the one hand, it does add a bit of variety to proceedings, but on the other - as a stickler for finishing everything and doing as many of the missions as I can, it was annoying to have pathways cut off for me before I even realised what I was doing. Also, I hate the thought of playing through such an enormous game a second time just to have the option to do some of the things I missed. New Vegas is a massive, sprawling time-suck, which isn't necessarily a problem the first time round, but I'm not voluntarily going back in there again, especially given how buggy it was, and how often it crashed my Playstation, necessitating a manual restart.

New Vegas also offers Hardcore Survival Mode, where your character has to eat/drink/sleep etc to survive. But I turned that off. I don't play games (unless it's The Sims) to eat and sleep, thanks.

New Vegas retains much of the spectacle and beauty of Fallout 3, with expansive areas to explore, loads of really varied weapons and modifications to help you create the character you envision, and a detailed storyline. It's just a shame it's so bug ridden - even with Playstation updates automatically downloaded on installation - as that, as well as the massive amount of hours needed to play through, makes me reluctant to fully explore the world from the multiple perspectives intended.

Which is, I guess, why it's going for so cheap these days!

See one answered question