5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent after the patch is downloaded

1.0 out of 5 stars SORRY BUT IT JUST FREEZES ALL THE TIME
Published on 17 Dec 2010 by M. A. O'mahoney

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent after the patch is downloaded, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
I read a lot of negative comments and I expected a terrible game, but as a hardcore fallout fan I still bought it in March 2011. After downloading the patch I did not experience any problems for a long time. After more than 50 hours of gameplay I can say it is occasionally freezing, but not much more than Fallout 3 did, still it's good if you save often, just to be on the safe side (before your big decisions/multiple choices too). The game itself is fantastic and after playing so much I'm still very far from finishing it. It is like a mixture of the previous Fallout episodes (1, 2 and 3). The music is similarly fantastic to Fallout 3 and when I switched the radio(s) off I realized I could listen to the mystical background music of the first 2 episodes, which I really loved. You've got a huge amount of quests as well. The only thing that annoyed me was that some of them are not registered in our pipboy, so if you don't do it immediately you might forget it (sometimes some notes are added to our pipboy though). I also liked that completing some quests for somebody, which were essentially not negative, might still turn the other, rival factions against you. This way I had to make a fine balance between the parties, if I didn't want loads of mighty enemies at the beginning. The creatures (we can also have companions; Veronica and Rex were really helpful) and the atmosphere are also outstanding. I also liked the hardcore mode (though usually it did not mean much more, than a slight inconvenience) where I had to eat, drink and sleep and stimpacks, foods needed time to take effect. All in all if you loved the fallout universe or like good RPGs you have to have it.

Spoiler alert! Though you might have so many different endings (depending on your abilities and the story lines), the following PS section might contain some "spoilers".

PS: It took me well over 80 hours to "complete" it (I did the "yes man" version, where I killed Mr. House, defeated the legion by talk and the NCR by talk /using my robots for "power play"/). Nothing really changed, occasional freezing, but nothing major. I wait a bit and complete it with another storyline as well. Thanks for the game. Next time do not release it so fast. The 3 star average rating really hurts me (and with the patch it is really unfair).

4.0 out of 5 stars know when to walk away, know when to run, 30 Oct 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
Having loved previous Fall-Out titles I was eager to get my hands on this. Like many previous reviewers have stated it is buggy, and while it should be unacceptable for a new release, it's not all that bad. People have also said that it's like one big DLC but I have to disagree. Sure it has much in common with Fall-Out 3 but it is still in the Fall-Out world so there's bound to be many similarities. However there are plenty of differences, like modding weapons, reputation, the use of ingrediants around camp-fires, a hardcore mode and companion perks. They have put a bit more enphasis on the RPG side which is good.
My main gripe is with the lack of evolution within the game's engine. This is essentially the same as used in Oblivion which is over four years old now. Not a lots changed. While you can't compare this to games like Uncharted 2 graphically I think it could be more closely comparable to Red Dead Redemption and it looks four years old. The loading times can get really annoying. I spent fifteen minutes opening a door, fast travelling, opening another door, walked a little bit, opened another door, talked to somebody then had to do it all again going the other way. The game design and map design doesn't help with all of this.
I still really like this game but it's faults keep nagging so I can't cleanly say I love it. However in a year when the games I've bought, while great, have been over really quickly and rely on multiplayer for replay value this will have hours and hours of playing time.
If you loved Fallout 3 you'll probably buy this. If you haven't I'd recommend buying that instead, and by the time you've completed it this will have come down in price.

1.0 out of 5 stars SORRY BUT IT JUST FREEZES ALL THE TIME, 17 Dec 2010
M. A. O'mahoney (Middlesex, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
I completed the game finally today, but the amount of times I had to reset the system to do so was ridiculous. I reset the system 10 times in one hour alone. Such a shame because the game itsef without glitches and bugs would be a massive hit. Were the testers on some sort of acid drugs? I say this as the credits list testing took place but very hard to believe. I just hope when the same company releases Oblivian V later next year they make sure it's working properly first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fallout New Vegas, 27 Oct 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
My game arrived on the day of release and I had to rush home early to start playing it. I'd been looking forward to this game since I finished Fallout 3 (for the 5th time).

It's basically a big expansion pack of Fallout 3 with a different story line and time frame. Not a bad thing as FO3 was superb.

The downside is that the game glitches and freezes and there are loads of bugs, you'd have thought the developer would have ironed this out before release, there were endless bugs in its predessor. I've been playing now (on my brand new slim PS3) for 10 hours and have had to switch off and re-start the machine 13 times. Not impressed and very frustrated. Let's hope there is a patch for this soon. I don't underatand why the game was released like this.

Fallout New Vegas is an excellent RPG and well worth buying, but be prepared for the freezing.

3.0 out of 5 stars too many glitches!, 30 Jan 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
This could have been good! Granted the story needs a bit of work but i could deal with that. The thing that kills it are the bugs, glitches and freezieng. I could not finish this game. It crashed so much i just couldnt enjoy it anymore. The characters are fun - Its good to be able to play a female character that is not all cleavage and nothing else. The companions and characters you meet a long the way will keep you entertained. The problem with the story as far as I see it is that you dont want to side with any of the factions! And Mr house - well, he just isnt as interesting as you would like him to be. However, in saying all of that I would have kept on playing if it werent for the freezing and crashing! Bethesda (and Bioware mass effect 2) really need to quality test the games they are selling. People pay a lot of money for a game - if you purchase something you expect it to work. Gaming is big business quality is expected! Fix the bugs you have a good product.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same with free added bugs, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
New Vegas is very similar to Fallout 3, the only additions being a companion wheel wheel for fast easy interaction with a companion and a whole lot more bugs. Fallout 3 had it's share of bugs, delays, jerky screens and freezes but unfortunately New Vegas tops it. Fallout 3 was, in my opinion, forgiveable as it was a 'new' experience, it held the interest and remained playable. New Vegas on the other hand doesn't have the same charm and is continually freezing, so much so that after four or more attempts per hour the tv is left on for New Vegas to be played when enough enthusiasm returns. This is sad because New Vegas should be as good a game as Fallout 3. Due to the bugs though it's not. A real shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Fallout 3, 17 Jan 2013
M. Collis (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
Loved Fallout 3, but I've got about halfway through this one and to be honest, I can't be bothered to complete it. The "strip" is a bit disappointing and the characters seem to get on my nerves. I don't really care about their particular stories. Worth paying a fiver or so to try it out though I suppose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 stars, if not for the glitches!, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
I've just finished this game, and I feel like I've just finished another epic 'Fallout' journey. I did the last few quests non-stop, and they ended up taking me well over 12 hours of solid game play to complete them! The game was great fun, but it was a little spoiled by the large number of bugs/glitches present. I can't believe Bethesda would actually put a game onto the market with this many glitches. Still, having said that, it was still a great, very fun game. It's just that it could have done with quite a bit more polishing, before being released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please stand by, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
First of all I'm not a english nativ and second I don't know what's happend with this game. I bought it when people said is working and after the patch 1.05. I have over 70 hours in this game and didn't have many issues with it. I say this because some people said is still a broken game after this patch. It's a very good written game, good story and a really big game. I mean, I finished the main quest and do many side quests and still have alot of thing to do. You can create weapons, meds, bullets, you can repair weapons and armor, add a component to a weapon to increase the characteristics of it. You have towns, lights, New Vegas by night, people who talk to, guns, new factions, you still have Brotherhood of Steel, robots and many things to shoot. Many are old but also new to Fallout: New Vegas. I like it more then Fallout 3 GOTY. So... I don't know what is happening to this game but for me is a good game.
A nice day to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars 60 hours in so far - brilliant but technically flawed, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
Fallout New Vegas is a brillaint RPG. You have the freedom to roam over the Mojave wasteland and play the game how best suits you (sneak, hack, talk or laser your way through). If you want to "blaze" through and pick up the trophies/achievements, try the more stable Fallout 3: Game of the Year edition (I platinumed that on the PS3 in 80 hours, most of the quests result in a trophy - New Vegas trophies are structured in a way to encourage you to roam, not just trophy hunt). However, if you're remotely aware of RPG's and you can look past the bugs in this game (my PS3 slim did start to crash late in the game, even after patch 1.04, especially around Camp Forlorn Hope where there's lots going on) you will find that New Vegas is brilliantly executed. By the time you get to the end you'll know that every action has a consequence and that even the "right thing to do" can leave a bad taste in your mouth. I can't remember ever caring about in-game characters so much. How different is it to FO3? The game engine has been tweaked so there are subtle differences in the gameplay but the real changes are in the way the whole game has been thought out:

- More companions with a bigger role. Be careful who your friends are.
- Reputation with different groups means you can slaughter enemies and have friends.
- Strategic depth: your reputation matters at the end.
- Multi-path and well thought-out endings. Choose your own destiny.

Don't use a guide, you only get a trophy for a few of the not-main quests and you tend to get those whatever the outcome. Many of the trophies involve you playing the game as intended - roaming the wasteland and fighting for and against different groups. Just make sure you play it in hardcore mode; constantly drinking water in-game might seem like a pain but there's nothing quite like finding yourself in the desert and realising you've only got irradiated water to drink!

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)