5.0 out of 5 stars Very good bulb - but does not fit Ikea GU10 lights
Published on 25 Dec 2010 by KK

1.0 out of 5 stars LET THERE BE LIGHT
Published on 30 Oct 2011 by PEDRO

1.0 out of 5 stars LET THERE BE LIGHT, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: TP24 L1 (GU10) Low Energy 10w Spiral Light Bulb (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased two of these bulbs; one to replace an existing bulb that had lasted only several hours.( approx: 1 1/2 hours) before blowing and the other for a spare. After I replaced the first bulb the new one blew within three hours use. So I then had to use my back up spare. Which appears to be lasting a lot longer. considering the price of these bulbs it is not an option to have to replace them on a regular bases. Also to rub salt into the wound Amazon showed this item in stock but the supplier hadn't got any in stock therefore I had to wait a long time for delivery.
PDC

1.0 out of 5 stars can you rate these zero?, 10 Dec 2012
so what is energy efficient anyway?
how much energy is spent manufacturing these bulbs? i have a new house new wiring all fitted out with TP24 bulbs. in twelve months i have replaced EIGHT!
considering how expensive these are, is this really "green"
i dont think so!
however tip try searching for the connection type GU10 rather than the bulb manufacturer!

1.0 out of 5 stars low life expectancy, 27 Oct 2012
In my experience the lifetime you can expect from these bulbs is vastly overstated. I bought about 30 for spotlights in my kitchen, and about 2/3 of them had failed within about 5 months of summer usage. They are guaranteed for a year, so make sure you keep your receipt - you will be needing it

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in parts, as the curate's egg!, 12 Mar 2012
Rock Ape (St James SE, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
These bulbs have a GU10 base, but with a small hole in the middle of the base that allows them to fit into dedicated low energy GU10 bulb holders. The bulbs will also fit standard GU10 holders, but may well not fit into the luminaire as the bulbs are longer than standard halogen GU10 bulbs.

The Good:

When working, they come up to full brightness fairly quickly and give a reasonable level of light.

They only consume 10W of power.

The Not So Good:

The colour temperature is quoted as 3000K (degrees Kelvin), which is stated as warm white. If these bulbs were true "black bodies" then the colour spectrum at 3000K would indeed appear to present a warm tone to human eyes. The warm tone would be similar to a very bright incandescent bulb (old fashioned tungsten bulb!). In practice these bulbs do not emit a spectrum equivalent to a black body, but do appear a little blueish once they've settled down a few minutes after switch on. Whether this is good or bad depends on your perception of colour and the use to which the lighting is put. In particular it is significantly affected by the colour of any nearby reflecting surfaces. In summary, there is some slight harshness in the colour output, which may not be to everyone's tastes.

The Bad:

I've used them in bathroom downlighters (sealed against moisture, as supplied by tp24, the bulb maker) and in kitchen downlighters (not sealed, also supplied by tp24). In less than one year I've suffered 4 failures in a total of 12 fittings, 6 of which are very little used. This is a very high attrition rate and I'm hoping it is "infant mortality" and that those that have survived this initial period will have a long & prosperous life - only time will tell. In fairness, I've had no trouble getting replacements under warranty. tp24 state that they are not aware of high failure rates, so maybe it's just my bad luck.

At present (March 2012) if you want low energy downlighters there is very little choice and these are the best I've found. Hopefully they'll improve as the market demand increases.

Update (Feb 2013): I'm still disappointed with these bulbs, so now I have replaced most of them with LED bulbs that consume half the power, come on instantly and are far more reliable and long lasting. There are many different LED bulbs available with very similar specifications, but not all perform similarly in terms of light output per W. The SMD (surface mount device) type LEDs provide exceptionally even illumination over a broad area.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling failure rate, 3 Jan 2013
I purchased 8 of these bulbs for my new bathroom. 3 Months later I have 1 bulb that works and 2 bulbs that flicker on an off constantly. The other 5 bulbs are dead.
I will be sending all of the bulbs back under warranty and if I receive continued failures I will be replacing my fittings

1.0 out of 5 stars Flash and Buzz, 1 Nov 2013
I haven't bought this product but they came in every light fitting in our new house. They are slow to reach full brightness, we have a few that buzz noisily and flash and the life seems very short for a supposedly green light bulb. I have replaced some of the fittings completely so that I could fit better quality more easily available and greener bulbs.

Do not be tempted to buy a tp24 light fitting with the L1 bulb base, it is a con as you will have to go back to tp24 for the bulbs, they are the sole manufacturer; although the bulb base looks like a GU10 base it will not accept GU10 bulbs because there is a central plastic pin designed to stop GU10 bulbs being used, the L1 bulbs have a hole for the central pin to fit into.

As I said earlier this company is trying to con you; if you buy one of their fittings you will have agreed to a long term monopoly of having to buy poor quality light bulbs from them and only them, no one else makes this bulb base. As with all monopolies, prices are high and quality is low, avoid if you can!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright, 24 Nov 2011
Well designed with a bright light, just unfortunate that they are quite large and a bit too unwieldy. Definitely fits but I would expect this to look quite out of place in most GU10 socket fittings, so only 3 stars unfortunately!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good bulb - but does not fit Ikea GU10 lights, 25 Dec 2010
These bulbs are really good, bright light and do not need much time to perform at full capacity. I have replaced all my 4 halogen with these in the kitchen, the kitchen seems brighter than before due to the fact that these are not spot lights. The only downside is that they don't fit Ikea GU10 light frames. So i first ordered one to see where in the house it fits and then ordered more later

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay - but don't seem to last very long, 23 May 2014
Honestly, I am not convinced by these low energy light-bulbs.

They promise efficiency, but seem to only deliver higher cost with no real longer life.

I won't be buying these again.

3.0 out of 5 stars light bulbs, 21 July 2013
having moved into a new house I have no choice but to buy these bulbs.I do feel they're pricey and despiet being rated as long life I'm not getting more than 12 months out of them.