5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Home Kit
Published 12 months ago by Hamish

I'm a huge Makita fan, but this acquisition has caused lots of hassle.
Published 20 months ago by Winko

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Home Kit, 30 April 2014
This review is from: MAKITA 8391DWPE-TK 18V Combi Drill With 2x 1.3Ah Ni-Cad Batteries (+101 Pieces Set) (DIY & Tools)
A good and useful home kit,contains most accessories needed for day to day jobs around the house. I have found the batteries 1.3ah are not particularly long lasting before needing to be recharged, although charge time is fairly quick, 20-30 mins.Having 2 batteries in the set has overcome most problems. Drill seems to be fine and I have since purchased another 'bare drill' to save constant bit changing in middle of work. Probably my next move will be to buy extra and larger capacity batteries as when working away from mains supply for recharging, they will be needed. All in all a fine little set and would recommend at the Amazon price, having seen many variations of price elsewhere of £100 to £150 more. Make sure warranty is registered within 30 days with Makita to gain a extra 2 years, if over 30 days online registration is not accepted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected problems...and Makita Customer Care needs to be addressed!!!!, 25 Sept. 2013
I'm a huge Makita fan, but this acquisition has caused lots of hassle.
First impressions were very good. This is a comprehensive kit and the inclusion of 2 batteries promised ease of use. However, the very first time I used the drill - to insert a screw into pre-drilled hardwood - the plastic around the grip cracked clean through. Result? A completely useless drill.
When I contacted Makita they told me to return the drill to the supplier - but my Amazon purchase didn't specify who'd supplied the drill. I then agreed with Makita that I'd send the drill back at my expense for them to look at it. This I duly did.
Having heard nothing for a couple of weeks I emailed Makita and got a cursory email back saying normal turnaround time was 5 days. Perhaps it was my chasing, but the drill was returned next day.
Opening the package I was really surprised to see that inside was an apparently used drill, complete with paint and other marks on the casing. As I had returned what was a virtually brand new (albeit broken) drill to them, I wasn't impressed. I then checked the serial number and saw that Makita had peeled off my serial number sticker and had stuck it onto the replacement.
Having set out my dissatisfaction to Makita in an email, I received a reply within hours to say that the drill internals were mine, but a used case had been fitted as a temporary measure as they hadn't new parts in stock. The email went on to say that once new parts had been received they planned to advise me and get the drill back to fit a new casing at their expense.
I replied with thanks - but suggested that next time they tell the customer what was planned and why a used case was fitted! I didn't get a reply...
Makita - you need to get your act together! Close, but no cigar!
P.S. 20 minutes with a little turps and cleaner and the drill came up like new. Just as well, as I've not heard anything further from Makita...

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, it does the job, it's got all the bits a casual user would ever need but..., 21 July 2014
D. Lloyd - See all my reviews
Ok it arrived, top area where all the bits are were all jingling about, so I'm guessing it took quite a knock in delivery or packaging to dislodge the plastic shield from it's 4 clips in the lid. Had a big old scratch on the plastic shield also, but I didn't buy the thing to admire how the case looks so I moved on without a care.

I first put some holes in some wood 1/2 inch thick, I wanted to run some cables through some things, while drilling a few times I thought if I push too hard I would lock the thing up. But it done the job, so am pleased there.

On the 8th and final hole I had to drill, I could quite clearly feel a difference from how the battery was fresh from charge to then, so I think that could be an issue at some point.

Other quirk is that the shaft is not straight, I read a few other reviews and they said the same, however it didn't effect me drilling the holes.

All in all, it does what it's supposed to, definitely for light use, which suits me fine.
Comes with all the bits I would ever use and need. And if the battery doesn't have enough juice there are two of them, which charge quite quick, all in all 6.9/10.

However I did expect a bit more oomph, comparing it to one I borrowed recently for drilling a few holes with, that one (cant remember make) would have spun me around on my head before slowing down under pressure.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 20 Nov. 2011
I'm so pleased with this box set I would recommend it to everyone who likes doing little jobs around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st class Cordless Drill, 1 Aug. 2012
I picked up mine on deal from Wickes for just over £100 but the price on here is still fantastic value. Drill itself is nice and sturdy and feels like it will survive the inevitable drops and bumps from DIY work. Batteries are brilliant, charged in just over an hour and lasted a full day of work.

Nice selection of accessories, enough to keep the DIY enthusiast happy, Pro's will probably want some extra's, or more likely already own them.

If I had to criticize the product it would be that the case is bulky and quite heavy, but that reflects the quality and number of items you get with this, the accessory set alone is probably worth around £60.

In short, if you need a reliable, powerful cordless drill with all the mod cons, you cant go wrong here. This would be good value if you just got the drill and one battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars only 1.3 amp hour, 23 Feb. 2011
This is worth every penny a good tool for DIY and on site .
well make hard working drill

5.0 out of 5 stars don't skimp, spend the extra on quality......., 8 May 2013
This is a quality tool for the domestic market, Its easily good enough for the semi-pro or small scale tradesmen. The quality and functionality is superb and it will take the punishment that "real" tools should. BUY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact all-in-one drill set, 24 Aug. 2013
I purchased this because of its ability to drill brickwork as well as metal and wood, and have used this on a couple of occasions since purchase, one was fixing a latch to a solid wooden garden gate. The drill is powerful enough to put a 19mm hole through 2 inches of wood, but I'm not sure how it would fare on masonry.

As has been mentioned in a previous review the chuck on mine is slightly off centre, noticeable if you are using a long bit. However this proved to be no problem when drilling, with no vibration detected. Having 2 batteries is useful, with quick charge, but the batteries need a bit of wrestling to remove from the drill.

All in all a good purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just arrived! !, 24 July 2013
I have just finished installing decking using this drill\driver and wos more than up to the job, it drove 10cm screws threw pressure treated 6×4inch timer into pressure treated posts without any problem, this is a great buy for the diy'er. People buying this must note makita do make trade tools but this is a diy version of there trade drivers but it has more than ample power for most jobs, if you have problems try bringing the scew back out then drive all the wah in, if that doesn't work pre drill a smaller diameter hole than the screw being uzed and driver will do the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 2 Aug. 2013
James R. Adler (Cote d'azur, France) - See all my reviews
My last battery power/hammer drill didn't last much more than a year - the high speed gear lost some teeth, so I could only use the low speed function.
It seems that Makita is the make that is frequently seen in the hands of professionals, so with this promotional price, together with all the accessories which are handily available in the toolbox, even though they duplicate many that I already have, makes this a pretty good replacement that I hope will last the rest of my retirement.