5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Convenient
I purchased a Squartrade warranty policy upon purchase of a new phone. Shortly after purchase I received a phone call from Squaretrade, confirming my details and asking if I had any questions. This left me with a good impression from the start.

Published on 19 July 2011 by A. Kane

There are many reviews for SquareTrade, all very positive. Unfortunately the vast majority appear to be from people who have set up their warranty quickly & easily online and haven't had to deal with SquareTrade's customer service or make a claim.

Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Please read before taking out this warranty as the advert and policy documents are incorrect., 23 Feb 2014

There are multiple online retailers selling SquareTrade warranties, Amazon being one of the main ones. You can go to Amazon and purchase a SquareTrade warranty considerably cheaper then on the SquareTrade website (it appears). The Amazon listings are created and maintained by SquareTrade and the warranty comes from them directly.

I purchased a new SquareTrade warranty from Amazon having meticulously read the terms and conditions to ensure my new device was fully covered. Everything matched up with what I wanted and I was happy with the terms and conditions, especially the fact that the device didn't have to come from Amazon (which it didn't, I'd bought it from another reputable retailer 2 days prior). This was made especially clear by the bullet point statement "Available for items purchased on or outside of Amazon".

Shortly after setting up my warranty I noticed on the 'My Warranties' page that the insured device was described as having been purchased from Amazon. I contacted customer services to ask if this could be changed to where I actually bought the device from as I didn't want it to affect any possible claims.

Some hours later I received a phone call from a SquareTrade representative informing me that not only did my warranty not cover the type of device I'd purchased but it also didn't cover items that WEREN'T purchased directly from Amazon. I thought "how strange" since my device is an electrical item within the price range described and it says on the site that it doesn't have to come from Amazon. I calmly confronted the representative about this new information and explained that I'd read the key facts document, the T&C's document and the Amazon listing thoroughly (as I'm generally cautious when it comes to insurance) and not only did such information not exist but the site explains that the device does not need to be bought from Amazon.

The now bewildered support rep just kept repeating 'I'll have to take this up with head office'. At this point I requested to speak to a manager. I was assured that a manager would ring me back shortly.... No phone call.

In the meanwhile I forwarded an email with images detailing the misinformation on the website..... still no phone call. After several hours I rang SquareTrade and requested to speak to a manager again as the call I'd been promised hadn't happened. I explained that due to pending travel I would like to know that my warranty/accidental damage is in place...... Excuses followed by "a manager will definitely contact you in the next hour" .....still no phone call.

I've since contacted Amazon and reported the issue. Amazon have contacted SquareTrade requesting that they amend any incorrect information on their listing and work towards resolving the issue. I've still had no phone call.

The alarming thing is, when you look at the glowing reviews on Amazon for SquareTrade please take a moment to ACTUALLY READ THEM. A massive percentage of them are from customers who've purchased their Amazon listed SquareTrade warranty for similar devices, from different retailers and are happy with their purchase but have never claimed or spoke to SquareTrade. If the information SquareTrade have given me is true then THESE PEOPLE'S PRODUCTS ARE NOT COVERED! If you have one of these warranties I'd recommend you contact SquareTrade and ensure your warranty actually covers your item. This creates an interesting stalemate. If the information presented is incorrect will SquareTrade amend/update it? If so, are they going to contact the hundreds of people giving them glowing reviews on Amazon and tell them that their products are not covered? Are they going to refund them? Maybe they'll honour the warranties although I doubt this as they' were arguing mine when what I've paid for is in black and white and I'm not even making a claim.

I'm not entirely sure how any of this has come about but I'm pretty sure it's illegal. You can't base a policy around what your policy documentation DOESN'T SAY whilst simultaneously making excuses in an attempt convince customers that they're wrong about what the retail site DOES SAY.

If you can trust a company who can create new terms and conditions on the fly that aren't mentioned in any of their documentation and blatantly dispute features of your product which are written in plain English on re-seller websites, then enjoy your warranty and good luck if you ever have to use it. Otherwise I'd recommend taking out an extended warranty from the manufacturer of your product or checking the features of your home insurance/credit cards as these can sometimes cover electrical products etc. Had I not contacted SquareTrade to query a tiny error on the policy I would have been paying for a warranty that would NEVER have covered my device and only found out when it was too late.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 29 Jun 2012
Beware of this clause hidden in the Warranty Document - It means that you do not get three years repair cover , you ONLY GET cover for three years up to a the value of the product. IE if the product is valued at Two Hundred, and your first repair cost eighty pounds, you have only one hundred and twenty pounds worth of repairs left....

'Maximum Coverage - Subject to approval, this insurance allows for multiple replacements of
your insured item. The maximum liability under this policy shall be the original purchase
price of the insured item, excluding delivery charges.
When you have received repairs or replacements up to the value of
the original purchase price of the insured item or a cash settlement for
the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality,
your policy will immediately end.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Convenient, 19 July 2011
A. Kane - See all my reviews

Unfortunately, I had to make a claim against my warranty when my phone had an unexpected encounter with a bathtub full of soapy water. The claims process couldn't be simpler.

Step 1: I phoned the Squaretrade helpline and quoted my policy number. After a quick chat with one of their helpful agents, I was advised that they would need to inspect my phone in order to process my claim. The conversation took no longer than 20 minutes.

Step 2: I received an email with a free-post address label. I printed the label, packaged up my phone, and sent it to Squaretrade by recorded delivery (for piece of mind). Sending the phone by recorded delivery only cost me an extra 77 pence.

Step 3: Within a week I had received emails to confirm receipt of the phone and to advise that it had passed inspection. Furthermore, I was to receive an Amazon Gift Card for the full value of the cover!

The phone cost me 350 new and was only 6 months old. The full value of the cover was 400. I was delighted, as this enabled me to purchase a new replacement phone, case, AND new Squaretrade warranty.

Sqauretrade are brilliant. I recommend them to anyone with an expensive phone, especially if you have a clumsy streak!

EDIT (2013):

Since I wrote the above review (in 2011), it would appear that Squaretrade have slightly changed the way they operate.

Firstly, they now use UPS for the receipt of damaged/faulty goods. Make of this what you will. Personally, I always prefer to deal with Royal Mail on the basis that I work during the week, which makes it difficult for me to deal with couriers.

Secondly, and most importantly, they now charge a 50 excess for all new mobile phone policies. This may be a deal-breaker for you, depending on how valuable the item is you wish to insure.

5.0 out of 5 stars square trade warranty, 28 Feb 2011
I bought a Canon camera from Amazon.co.uk and I was offered a 3 year warranty to cover any breakages including drops and spills for only [] which i think is a great deal! I received a confirmation email straight away and even a phone call welcoming me to make sure I was happy with everything. The lady on the phone seemed very helpful and answered any questions that I had. Definately recommend this product as anything can happen in 3 years!

4.0 out of 5 stars square trade warranty, 12 July 2011
SquareTrade 3-Year Warranty Plus Accident Protection (Below 50 Items)
Purchased this warranty to go with my multi function printer. It appears to be a good buy. Had problems though submitting the Amazon receipt. Followed instructions, from the letter I received in the post, including adding a hash and brackets to the warranty policy number, but it returned 'error' each time I tried to submit it by email. I finally went on the website, and followed the instructions there, and put in the warranty number without the hash and brackets, and it was accepted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware ! No Excess?....read the small print !!, 19 Oct 2013
Mr. D. Wilson "Dave Wilson" (England. UK) - See all my reviews
AT the top of this page they loudly boast "NO EXCESS". I don't know how they can legally say that, as its not 100% true.

if you read carefully the above "key facts pdf". you will see the clause...

"Your insured item is not covered for the following: For iPhones and Cell Phones only, the first 50 of each claim"

Note they say iPhone but also add "cell phones" which basically means any mobile phone. Looking at the list above, "customers who bough this item also bought..." I note that many many people have bought this insurance for mobile phones - Hence my post. So despite insuring your phone for the full purchase price, you will never actually get that, as you would only ever get 50 less. Eg you insure your phone at the rate for 300 you can only ever receive a maximum of 250, yet you still have to pay for a 300 policy.

Consider too if it needed a repair, costing say 75, you would only receive a mere 25 and have to stump up the extra 50 yourself.

Finally note that it says the first 50 of "EACH" claim, not just the first one. THEY WILL KNOCK 50 OF EVERY CLAIM YOU MAKE ON YOUR PHONE. So for example if you made two claims for such repairs, then you have to stump up 100 of your own cash. On top of your insurance premium! and you'd have received just 50 back. So if your phone needs a couple of repairs then you could quickly find yourself out of pocket.

No excess??? ....read the small print !

5.0 out of 5 stars An insurance company that actually pay out !, 14 Nov 2012
Andre (TURRIFF, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I generally refuse to buy extended warrenties after a few very bad experiences with high street retailers that LOVE, and I mean LOVE to see you extended warrenties, but HATE, and I mean HATE to payout if you ever have a requirement to claim on them. Any excuse not to pay out and generally poor customer service.

However when I bought some expensive headphones about 18 months ago and Amazon offered SquareTrade I thought I'd take it based on the reviews and I am SOOOO glad I did.

A few weeks back the right speaker stopped working and no amount of wiggling the wires would fix it.

So, I called SquareTrade. A very helpful UK based lady took all the details and started my claim - at NO point did she do anything except help me - I thought it was just too good to be true. But , a few days later I was emailed a freepost label to return the item. Then a week or so after doing that I recieved an email saying - yep, it's broken, we'll send you an amazon voucher for what you paid (you can choose a bank transfer btw). Then a few days after that I got my amazon voucer via email.

This is one of the very , very few good experiences I have ever had with an insurance company and I would not hesitate to use them again next time I buy a costly electrical appliance which actually will be soon as I need to replace my headphones :).

It's definitely a 5 star product but I feel obliged to point out the negatives :-

Once they've paid out, that's it - the warranty does not extend to cover the new piece of electrical equipment you buy. You need to buy a new warranty.

They don't send an email to say they have received your item - just when they have finished testing it.

If the item you bought has increased in price, as mine has, you'll have to cover the difference yourself - you only get what you paid back.

I have to say though, these are minor niggles on what has been a very positive and still 5 star experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Claim for damaged phone dealt with ease!!! Excellent service!, 5 Dec 2011
I bought my SquareTrade warranty (3 years including spills and water damage) from Amazon when I bought my new smartphone. It was an expensive phone (almost 500 pounds) so was keen to have it insured. There were not many helpful reviews online because I couldn't find many for people who had actually made claims! Now I have gone through the whole process from purchase, to lodging receipts, to making a claim and receiving payment I can tell you that these guys are legit, friendly and very very helpful. In my case, my phone got damaged from full water immersion. I called the Square Trade a few days after when my phone was clearly not coming back to life. They got someone to email me to organise a courier pick up for my phone and they came on the day I nominated. A few days passed and I hadn't heard anything, so sent a quick email which they responded to quickly that they would follow up for me. The result was my phone could not be repaired at an efficient cost (not surprised), so they would refund me the cost of my phone. Payment received 2 days later. AWESOME SERVICE! No funny business, no trying to jam you with T&Cs or crazy conditions. It is what is says on the box. WIll use them again for insuring expensive electronic items. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very worthwhile, 24 Feb 2011
Let's face it, a lot of the 'extended guarantee' stuff on the high street is a con, as usually items are covered either by the manufacturer's own warranty or your home insurance (and in fact it's how a lot of the big electrical retailer's profits are made) In the case of home insurance of course there may well be an excess - typically the first 50 pounds - and some exclusions as well. But having bought a nifty internet tablet, likely to be taken out and about a lot I felt that extended peace of mind was a real option, especially as it is of a size to be easily dropped, or stolen, dropped in my bath & etc. This product is the obvious solution, and appears to have very few exclusions. At about 16 a year its the sort of price I see as being sensible. Service so far has been professional and prompt. I'm not sure I'd take it out for a big TV etc, but for more 'at risk' handheld devices it seems just the job. (Note that the period of cover here includes the first year of ownership, so that there is some overlap, although the lack of exclusions means extra security to other, more regular guarantees.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera lens warranty, 3 Feb 2011
Setting up the extended warranty is dead easy and the product gives some peace of mind. I would have liked to know however that registering this product requires you to have kept electronic copies of your purchase details from amazon. I have got printouts which I can use in case of a claim. But the offer to retain my details if I merely sent an electronic copy, which would have been very welcome, came to late; afterall you don't want your e-mail folders full of past transactions! If you learn from my mistake this will be an even better product for you.