Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: £175-£200|Change
Price:£30.62 - £919.13

on 5 August 2013
I would give zero star if I could.

My macbook pro stopped working, I called Square Trade and arranged my laptop to be taken for the next day.

My laptop was held for over 5 weeks during which I kept calling Square Trade and asking when they planing to send my laptop back.
Somewhere near the forth week I got a full refund on warranty as an apology for keeping my laptop for so long. All the warranty policy, however stayed in place.

I was happy with this solution until I received my laptop back. I did't work. Front cover was not mine, full of scratches and with few dents. On the receipt It was stated that only the hard drive was changed.

I contacted the SquareTrade and was advised to call Apple Support and take my laptop to iStore if needed, and that SquareTrade would cover any repairs. I took laptop to the local iStore after my call to Apple Support. They opened it and asked if laptop was refurbished showing me that some cables were in places where they should not be. They told me that it was repaired in a really unprofessional way.They tried changing RAM, it didn't help but after few hour computer started working by itself.

I took it home just to notice that my backlit keyboard didn't work, I had also problems with the key 's', and the trackpad was making very funny sounds at times, felt very uncomfortable, and on few occasions it was clicking just upon gentle touch without actual click.

I contacted SquareTrade many times, I told them that some parts of my laptop are not mine, that front cover and keyboard are not mine and that laptop is worse than it was before sending it to their depot. I asked for money back as they failed to provide the service. I kept calling them everyday for few days until finally manager called me. He totally ignored all my arguments. He said I should send a laptop for a rework but I asked how can I send it back if I have no trust in their depot. I asked for my money back but was told I cannot claim refund on laptop as I was already given a refund on the warranty.

I contacted Amazon, and they contacted SquareTrade. After that I received an email from SquareTrade in which they openely lied to me that they had never heard from me since the day when they advised me to call Apple and go to the iStore.

I wrote many more emails complaining about the matter unsuccessfully. Finally I decided to give another chance and I sent my laptop for a rework. I was told that they would aim to repair it within 5 working days as this is their policy. Guess what?
After two weeks of having my laptop taken to the depot, and after some of my further calls, they decided to pay me a full refund on my laptop.

It was an incredible waste of time and a really stressful experience. I spend about 8 weeks without a laptop and few more weeks with a faulty one, plus hours of writing of elaborate emails for which none one will pay me for ...
44 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2011
Customer service is very heplful when you want to discuss policy. Kept waiting on the phone for a long time to make a claim though. Doesn't cover theft or loss of item. Fairly expensive for the little it provides. Insurance is terminated if you make a claim, that seems unusual and unfair. Overall an average 3STARS!
55 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2011
I have been reading thro all the very positive reviews from people who have bought but not used the guarantee. The one person who has used it said the warranty was voided after one claim!!!

How can four plus stars be given to a product that has not been tested in practice - very misleading!!!
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 March 2012
Caveat: Like the majority of other reviewers to date, I've yet to use this insurance/warranty combination in practice.

But it doesn't take long to work out that this is a poor deal for Amazon customers and a great one for 'Square Trade'.

Try looking at it as a bet, based on the one-time warranty/insurance premium paid and the amount insured - it suddenly becomes a "D'oh!" deal.
Something Homer might go for? ;)
Starting with the lowest level of cover - machines from £100 to £125 - Square Deal want £45 for 3 years cover.
OK - if it's a £125 laptop/netbook we divide 125 by 45, and the answer is 2.78.
You might think that these are odds of 2.78 to 1, but a bookie gives you your bet back and insurers are craftier than that.
To calculate a bookies odds, we must subtract the £45 'bet' from the £125 'payback' before dividing.
This time we get odds of 1.78 to 1 - or short enough odds for a sure thing.
It gets worse if we consider the £100 end of the price range - 1.22 to 1 - or pretty near even odds. A 'racing certainty'?
Looked at from an insurance/warranty perspective, if we are generous and use the best-case 2.78 to 1 odds, this means that 1 in 3 - a third of the insured laptops - can be a total loss inside the 3 year period and 'Square Trade' can still make a small profit. How often do insurance claim incidents happen to you?
OK, I can think of one 10-year-old who has a happy tendency to wreck things, but do you want to be paying a premium that supports the accident-prone 10-year-old laptop owners?
Without being dropped, stood on, filled with sticky drinks or otherwise abused it's our experience that laptops go for years and years - we've refurbished (more RAM, new free software, paint job) many ~£30 8-year-old laptops as gifts for the grandkids and such, and these are still working after another 3 years, although some of the batteries are in need of replacement.
So what about the 2-year deal from 'Square Trade'? It's worse!
For our £125 example it'd cost you £39 for two years - one third less time on cover (33% less) for 13% less money.
Well, it's a 20% better deal for them, I suppose, but you'd have to be feeling generous.
The bottom line is that you can get laptop cover for far less on your household insurance. Check it out.
As an example, look at the Square Trade cost for a £2000 laptop - £500 for 3 years.
That's more than a year's total house & contents insurance on many hundreds of thousands of pounds.
You may already be covered for laptop theft and accidental damage on your household policy. We are.
Warranty?
There are firms that offer an excellent 2-year warranty for free with new laptops.
One of them is "Never knowingly undersold", too.
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2013
I was looking for a laptop warranty and when looking through google I noticed they were selling policies through multiple websites.

Amazon is listing particular one I wanted for approx £169 including AD. Another website listed the EXACT same policy for £133 and it gave me the option to purchase it.

I contacted Squaretrade to find out what was going on to be told 'That policy is exclusive to products bought on that site' despite all the T&C's and info NOT saying that what so ever (I mean it has the option to add the indivudual policy to your basket and completely pay for it/arrange delivery!). I asked if they could match the price as it seemed a bit unfair to pay £40+ for the same thing?

They went away for approx a day or so to look into and came back to say 'Nope, you have to go to the other site and buy the more expensive one', I was informed if I didn't despite the policies being identical in wording/coverage when I came to claim they'd reject it and just refund my money (but wouldnt do this UNTIL I needed to claim).

It seems like they've got a pretty decent scam going on here, setting multiple prices for various websites but forcing you to always buy from the most expensive one otherwise they invalidate your cover. If this is how the company operates i'm quite glad I never took cover out with them... I expected more considering all these 'glowing reports'.

All in all a let down, instead of doing the right thing and merely going 'Yes we'll match it' they dug their heels in, wasted my time and theirs and lost a customer. I was more than happy to buy the policy but why should I pay £40 extra for the same thing, they even tried to make out the policies were different and there was 'less coverage' which is simply not the case. Someone is telling fibs and I don't think they have a clue what they're doing....
on 19 April 2013
The laptop was received next day from Amazon, and the laptop and the service received from Amazon was great. But then I looked up the warranty dates on the Lenovo website and it said the warranty had started 4 months before I bought the laptop. I checked with Amazon and they and I thought maybe the laptop had been registered by someone else. So they sent another laptop, but that had the same problem. The problem is that Lenovo start the warranty from when they ship stock to their resellers, not from when it is purchased by actual consumer.

But I contacted Lenovo support and after several attempts, they changed the warranty start date so that was good. Then I thought I'd take out the extended warranty from the Lenovo site (a lot cheaper (1/3) than the SquareTrade protection plan). But when it came to the check out, Lenovo added £15 for "Shipping". For a warranty extension?

So overall, laptop is good. Amazon service is faultless. But the Lenovo website/Lenovo after sales experience seems naff. Surely I am not the first to have these same problems. I will think twice or thrice before buying Lenovo again because of this. Not that the problems were major. Just it gives a bad user experience/lack of confidence in them.
on 27 January 2015
Fixed my laptop than it broke down. I guess it was dard drive problem because they changed it, just instead of samsung hard drive I got toshiba. And I been having a lot of problems with it - kept chrasing. i had to reinstal windows every 4-5 months. Than I called them, they said its software problem and they wont fix it. so I couldnt do anything and jus kept paying for reinstaling. Anyway now this protection plan is over, but finaly I was told its my hard drive has black holes ant thats why keeps chrashing. Instead of doing proper job they just put cheapest what they had (maybe it wasnt even new) and didint admit their fault. It was waste of money.
on 14 September 2015
Have just had to use this for a cracked screen.
Easy and straightforward. The staff I spoke to were courteous and the laptop was collected from my home. I did not even have to pack it up, the courier came with a special padded box that it was securing sealed in. I had regular email updates and it was returned in perfect working order.
on 1 November 2013
Square Trade offer a superb product - peace of mind - at a reasonable premium. For 2 or three years you can be assured that accidental damage to your item, whether it be a washing machine or a laptop, will be repaired or that the item wil be replaced. There is no fancy talk to disguise exceptions to the cover and there is generally no quibble over holding up their end of the bargain. For example, I had to wait no more than 5 minutes while it was checked if damage to my Kindle caused by my growing puppy deciding to get his teeth into a good book was covered.
Different levels (values) of cover are catered for so you do not feel you are overpaying to insure something, and the price is appropriate.
It is worth noting that this is not a fully comprehensive cover as loss/theft are not covered, but this is understandable in that a faulty/broken item must be returned as part of the replacement, and so SquareTrade keep their costs to a minimum by reducing the scope for spurious or bogus claims.
All in all, a great product and service.
SquareTrade 2-Year Laptop Warranty Plus Accident Protection (£175-200 Items)
on 14 February 2012
.....If that is the case I fail to see how lots of people give it multiple stars. I almost purchased this but not under those terms, sorry.