Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: _£300-350 Items|Change

on 26 July 2011
Beware of misleading information given by this company.

They state "The last thing you want when your item breaks down is a cheap refurbished item that is two generations old. If your item breaks and can't be fixed, you will be reimbursed your full item replacement cost". Yet on the key facts PDF document (the small print) they state they may, at their discretion, "Provide a new, rebuilt, or refurbished product of the same or newer model"

They also state that "Reimbursement may be in the form of a cash settlement or a gift card from the merchant from which you bought the insured item." but I was told on the phone the gift card would be from Amazon regardless of where you bought your item from.

Contradictory information here so buyer beware.
3030 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2011
Bought the warranty for a new 51" Samsung D6900 Plasma TV and found that the warranty was by far the cheapest and most comprehensive as well.

You can even claim back 50% of the price back if you do not make a claim and cancel the warranty after 30 months or less.

I called to ask about a few anomolies which had been noticed by other buyers and was reassured that the policy wording was not correct and changes had been made that have not yet been reflected in the fine print. The anomolies were that advertised information on amazon said that no refurbished, rebuilt or second generation products would be given in replacement for unrepairable items but in the policy it says that at the insurers discretion they may offer this. It was confirmed that no rebuilt or refurbished 2nd generation goods would be offered as replacements only repair (if possible) cash settlement or a gift card for Amazon. Also it stated that a cash refund would be given for the full purchase price of the insured item but in the policy it says that the insurer may give a cash settlement or a gift card for a retailer. I was informed that any gift card would be for Amazon otherwise it would be a cash settlement. I am quite happy to buy from Amazon anyway as their return policy and customer service are second to none!

Square Deal answered the phone very quickly, were very responsive to my questions and dealt with setting up my policy with ease. Very pleasant mannered and great customer service. Certainly a refreshing change to some companies I have had to deal with in the past.

This warranty cost me £175.49 for 5 years yet the same warranty from Comet would have cost £479.99. No contest on price and the same level of cover, yet Comet would take my TV away for weeks to repair it if anything goes wrong and no doubt it would get mistreated and bashed around along the way. Square Deal will send an engineer to my home and repair it.

For me I think this warranty is excellent value for money and I am wholly confident that if anything happens to my TV Square Deal will full honour their word and do exactly what they have advertised fix it or give a cash refund or a gift card for Amazon to the value of the TV. Can't ask for any more square of a deal than that and I have peace of mind for the next 5 years!
on 20 November 2011
There is many "at their discretion" in the small print that they know most people will not read, far better to get 5 year warranty direct with the manufacturer of the appliance, i have gone for a 5 year panasonic warranty and this was $10.00 cheaper.
on 29 March 2011
SquareTrade 3-Year TV Warranty Plus Accident Protection (£200-250 Items)
I don't normally purchase this type of insurance cover, as you'll probably find that your not covered! But I looked into the small print for this policy, and I'm surprised what's covered, nearly everything, seems like a good deal so I purchased, works out much cheaper than Argos or the equvalent!
Better safe than sorry, and you can be at these prices.
on 13 January 2011
We have received the warranty promptly by email but also received a phone call to confirm whether we had the documentation and that a hard copy would be received in the post.
I did not expect the purchase of my warranty to be so customer friendly and this makes a refreshing change.
on 9 December 2010
Bought this along with a £315 Samsung TV from Amazon. Its my first personal TV for my bedroom and thought the extended warranty would give me some peace of mind. I did find other warranty companies that were up to about £10 cheaper. But I thought it would be easier and more simple to use square-trade on Amazon as it appeared alongside the TV and just to make things quicker and easier.

Very simply they send you an email the same day with all the terms and conditions (not as long as most other contracts) and then that's it pretty much done. They even call you up the next day to confirm that you've received the email and check that you're happy with everything. One thing they did mention over the phone is to make sure that you keep your receipt (in this case email from Amazon) safe, or you can even send a copy into square-trade via their website for safe keeping.

So far so good, hopefully if there are any problems it should be as easy and simply to solve as square-trade make it out to be.
on 16 June 2011
Absolutely brilliant. That's the only thing I can describe about this Amazon's amazing product. When I was buying the tv one of my friend told me to get the 5 year cover as it is very important and I looked into many websites, banks and companies for option but I was amazed by the price Amazon offer. In fact it is half price as compared to other electronic retailers and far better than banks who are only willing to fill their coffers nothing else. All in all it's a brilliant product to cover for damage and accidents with other faults and you get full peace of mind. Would definitely recommend this to everyone. Another important point "if you want to claim anything there is a 0800 free phone number for that" how great is that.
on 12 January 2012
As my tv was a surprise present I sent the product to a friends house, sadly this then also ment that the warranty was then registered to the delivery address and not the payment address! I rang square trade and they said that the delivery address occupier had to contact them even though I'd paid for it and the email address was mine! so I!! emailed them and luckily they changed it! So I left a review on here and they weren't happy with it! so who did they ring? yes the delivery address owner and left a message on his answerphone! explaining that for security the delivery address is always the registered address with them! so all I can say is keep your debit credit cards safe because if someone gets hold of it and sends themselves a present they can get a lovely warranty and unless the thief is honest enough to contact square trade it wont get cancelled!!! needless to say if the tv gets spladged I wont be using my warranty I'll put it down to experience!!
on 9 June 2011
Buyers beware

Ad says (in bold) - "No refurbished replacements.The last thing you want when your item breaks down is a cheap refurbished item that is two generations old. If your item breaks and can't be fixed, you will be reimbursed your full item replacement cost. Reimbursement may be in the form of a cash settlement or a gift card from the merchant from which you bought the insured item."

---Extract from key terms, (its the terms that you are signing up to, forget the ad!)

"Depending on the item and failure circumstances, at our sole discretion, we will either:
 Repair your insured item, or  Provide a cash settlement or a gift card reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality up to the price paid for the insured item, or  Provide a new, rebuilt, or refurbished product of the same or newer model "

Date reviewed T&C Keyfacts : 9 June 2011
on 23 February 2011
After making an expensive purchase like a television i was keen to make sure it was protected, Squaretrade offered that. I searched the net for similar products and decided Squretrade offered the best with the backing of Which and it is simple to set up as-well