5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent!
What an excellent book. It has lots of really good recipes, all layed out very nicely and portions that make sense from the start e.g. for 1 or 2 people then double up as required.

Published on 6 Mar 2008 by All things Amazon ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically informative
Published 3 months ago by D. O'Donnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent!, 6 Mar 2008

What sets this book apart from the others i've purchased is it's scope. It's not just a list of ingredients, there lots of really good advice, tips and info that just make all the difference. You're given lots of smart tips throughout the the book on each recipe. The author describes each dish as well which is really nice as alot of the time with other books the names themselves mean nothing to me. Another thing i like as well is the layout, each dish is set out on a single page and is very easy to follow.

Big thumbs up from me, a slowcooker novice :)

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 24 Mar 2011
we've just received this book today, and we've had a browse through it. i've already marked off 17 recipes and i still haven't done the dessert section yet......

leek & potato soup

turkey meatballs with rice

lentil & veg casserole
butter bean bake
veg crumble

it seems like it's going to be a good cookbook, and well worth it's purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars To be taken with a large pinch of salt, 6 Sep 2009
Lacrimosa "Lacrimosa" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As a slow cooking novice, I recently bought this book along with a 1.5L sized slow cooker from Amazon. I'm enjoying the experience thus far, having tried three very tasty recipes, but wanted to give a word of warning about the "ready when you walk through the door" message which is one of the key selling points of this book. (The blurb on the back of the book, in particular, pushes this idea.)

Firstly, I've been surprised to see that the majority of these recipes have cooking times of well under 8 hours, which might be considered a minimum working day for most. None of the chicken dishes, for example, will take longer than 5 hours to cook - and that's if you've got a particularly sloooooow slow cooker. Similar story with the fish... indeed a cooking time of 2-5 hours seems to be about average throughout, with one vegetarian recipe needing just 30 minutes! Also a good many of the recipes need to have extra ingredients added part-way through cooking, which isn't going to be convenient if you're out. Similarly, some recipes require the temperature to be reduced from high to low after the first hour of cooking, which has to be done manually if (like mine) your cooker doesn't have an auto-adjust facility. Finally, while the recipes are easy to follow, I'm finding that it's not unusual for me to be spending half an hour or more measuring and chopping and browning ingredients before adding them to the slow cooker.... no problem when I've got the time, but not something I fancy squeezing in before a weekday commute into London.

And before someone suggests it, yes, some slow cookers do come with timers (mine doesn't, as it happens) but I'm not sure whether leaving a pot of meat or fish sitting at room temperature for hours is a good idea anyway?

As I say, I'm new to slow cooking, so imagine that this is not a fault of the recipes at all. If that's how long these dishes take to cook by this method, then all well and good, and the end result is certainly delicious. But "minimal effort" and "no fuss" and "you can now return to a ready-made, flavour-packed meal of your choice" and so on? Er, I don't think so! That's just a nifty bit of selling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem amounst slow cook books!!, 4 Sep 2008
LYNN POSTLETHWAITE (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a slow cooker for my daughter to take to uni with her. Then I began the hunt for a quick and easy to follow cook book with lots of delicious and interesting recipes. After trawling through a lot of books, and I mean a lot, I came accross Catherine Atkinson's 'Slow cooking for yourself'. Bought it, and was delighted with an excellent mixture of recipes to match all tastes (even vegetarian). All in all, if you follow this book you will end up eating extrememly decent food. The friendly cooking advice, tips and even suggestions to what to do with left overs are a welcome added extra. All recipes are for 1 or 2 people but ingrediants can be doubled up for a family. I was so pleased with this book I am about to order another for myself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Slow, Quick Quick Slow, 25 May 2008
I don't buy many cookery books but I bought this one at the same time I bought my slow cooker from Amazon.

Living on your own? Then this book is perfect. It's one of the few books I've found which gives you great, tasty recipes designed for one person. All the other books I've bought assume that you'll have a family of four or, at least, you'll be cooking for four. This book is different and although the recipes do give you a fair amount of food, it's just enough to save for tomorrow or throw in the freezer - as the book suggests.

There are some nice recipes in here and they're fairly easy to prepare. Then, just wait 9 hours and you're ready to eat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooking for me and him, 12 Jan 2010
I was surprised at how easy it was to convert some of these recipes for a few extra people, or with the weather as it has been, for the the freezer. They are really good and as the book title states restaurant quality. I bought this book for my neighbour as well and she finds that the recipes are easy to follow. I have another book too and that does get used when we have family to stay but really this little book "slow cooking for yourself" is all that I need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, xmas puds are fab, 18 Dec 2009
I have now purchased three of these books for friends, I used the xmas pudding receipe and I can say I will never buy a shop bought one again. Obviously have used other receipes from the book, and everything has come out fab. Go on treat yourself and get slow cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking for one, 29 Nov 2009
C. Mcfadyen - See all my reviews
Very useful recipes for just one person. Have tried some recipes and have all turned out well. Looking forward to trying more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically informative, 15 Jun 2014
D. O'Donnell (Hythe, Kent) - See all my reviews
One thing that this book has done for me is to confirm that there's not much point in owning a slow cooker unless one is planning to be out all day and doesn't mind chopping, slicing and frying early in the morning, since many of the recipes in the book are just as labour intensive as they would be if cooked in a normal oven. That said, the recipes are reasonably tasty & uncomplicated in terms of ingredients needed. The layout of each is comprehensible and the hints concerning reheating and freezing are useful. I agree with the writer who wasn't overjoyed with the perfect binding which prevents the book from being laid out flat. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a small colour section. Even four pages would have helped whet the appetite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Great Price, 25 July 2011
Purchased this slow cook recipe book it is a great recipe book, you dont have to go out and purchase different ingrediants . You already have them in your store cupboard. The recipes are easy to prepare and the end result terrific. Would recommend this book time and time again.