5.0 out of 5 stars Flat as a pancake
Nice light, prime, wide angle lens which I use with my g1 and gf2. Great for landscapes as well as large groups of people and works well in low light.
Published 22 months ago by Alan Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Good center, poor edges.
A very small, light and well made lens but unfortunately the pay off is in rather poor edge and corner performance although the center is very sharp.
If you are prepared to put up with this for portability then it's fine, but for ultimate quality I can't really recommend it. It is also rather expensive.
I reluctantly returned mine.
Published on 28 April 2011 by Flixington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Flat as a pancake, 12 Sep 2012
Alan Ross - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic H-H014E Lumix G Pancake Lens (14 mm, F2.5 Wide-Angle) (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite lens, 3 April 2011
Teardust (Elgin, Moray, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I got the chance to pick a gift as part of a long service award and eventually opted for a lens for my Lumix G2. This lens is now on my camera nearly all the time and I love it. I'm still learning about photography but find it takes excellent pictures indoors and out and is very wide. The camera is much more portable with the lens on too. I'm glad I opted fot it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good performance at the price, 15 Jun 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Equivalent to a 28mm on 35mm format, this can easily be classified as a budget, fast wide-angle for use on m43 cameras. I currently use an Olympus E-PL1 and the lens makes a good match and is better value than Oly's almost equivalent 12mm offering which costs about 3 times as much.

I have used roughly comparable lenses in the past for other cameras, including the Olympus OM1/OM2 from the 70s, and others from Nikon and Canon for various of their film cameras and paid much higher prices for much slower lenses back in the day. For Panasonic to achieve an aperture of f2.5 in a lens this compact is quite an achievement and is partly due to the use of modern glass and lens formulations. It is probable that performance may suffer a little in comparison to that of a more complex design, but its performance is pretty good once stopped down to around f5.6-f8. Few true wide-angles will perform at an outstanding level when wide open and this is no different. If you want to pay the price for a Leica-branded design, you may get a higher level of performance and, if you were to use the lens professionally or extensively, you may be able to justify that price.

I had read reviews for this lens before purchase and most were very complimentary, if not glowing. None was very critical overall, although there were occasional negative comments about one aspect or another within some. Performance was usually rated as very good and value generally as high. I have not used it extensively as it is partly duplicated by the kit lens, which it actually outperforms at the wider apertures and is a full stop faster. Consequently, I use it most when I need its speed or when its size and weight provides a benefit.

If you do not want the kit lens, this plus the 20mm (or possibly the 25mm Leica) with the mid-range zoom (40-150/45-200) would make a good basic system.

POSTSCRIPT
After several uses, although not quite as fast as Panasonic's 20mm f1.7 which I also own, this is a lens which is quite usable indoors for interiors or even when photographing small groups in tight spaces. It works very well in such situations as it is about a full stop faster than the kit lens. If you use a Panasonic body (I don't currently) the omission of IOS within the lens will not be missed if there is a suitable, flat and level surface on which to rest the camera and you do not own the kit lens.

With a very compact design and a slightly exposed and unprotected front element, there is no natural sheilding for the lens. As with the 20mm, you need to be a little careful when shooting into the sun but the use of a lens hood limits its tendency towards flare - the two lenses share a common lens hood.

Satisfying performance for a modest outlay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick quiet focussing, small size, 25 Nov 2011
Bought this lens a while back.

Firstly the lens is smaller than you expect. Even though you know its going to be small the actual size amazes you. Focussing is very quick and silent.

Love this lens for video work - The 28mm equivalent view is perfect.

It is softer in the corners but don't let this stop you buying it. The reports of softness are overdone on the forums.

It is the best of the current pancake lenses (20mm, 17mm and 14mm), if you want one then I can recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lens, 8 Aug 2013
I bought my panasonic g3 a couple of months ago and liked the camera right away, but the kit lens that came with it wasnt really right for the type of photos I wanted to take. This lens however is spectacular it has really changed the way i use my camera I now take it everywhere with me as this lens is great for street work aswell as landscape/macro work

5.0 out of 5 stars Super small fact lens, 29 Oct 2012
M. Griffiths - See all my reviews
This is a very lightweight lens, a solid metal mount but the body is ? polycarbonate. This is not important as the lens is so small and sits well on my GH2. It means it is not at all obtrusive.
Focussing in video is very fast and silent and the f2.5 is really helpful in low light. Colour rendition is similar to other Panny lenses I have ( 14-140 and 100-300)
I now have a system with low light capacity and up to around 1500mm long focus in video, a great set up. This lens is a real bargain if you can pick it up for less than 200 (UK fun fun have it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but..., 27 Jan 2013
The lens works just as it should - bright, crisp and so on - but it arrived in bubble-wrap, in a white anonymous box, without instructions, warranty information and the like. It doesn't operate or look like a counterfeit, but it does make me wonder.

4.0 out of 5 stars All good, 25 Jan 2013
So far all pics taken with this have been very good. Is much better at indoor work than teh standard zoom lens that comes with the camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat lens, 19 Dec 2012
Firstly I must say I am approaching this from the perspective of someone who has used DSLRs for some years and wanted a quality backup camera that was highly portable. I decided on a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1EB-K 16MP Compact System Camera Body Only - Black and being most often a landscape photographer decided this lens would be a good option to usually use on this body (which I have also reviewed).

I've used the lens for around 3 weeks now and taken around 150 images so I feel I'm at a point where I can review this however I'll add to the review if I find anything interesting in the future. This is the equivalent to a 28mm lens in 35mm camera terms so it really only just a wide angle lens however it is a very compact lens which keeps the weight/size down.

I've found little that makes me regret the purchase so far. There seems little chromatic aberration which is good news and in the "usual" aperture range (say f8-f13) the quality is just fine which is probably all I would expect for a lens at around this sort of price. With the aperture wide open the quality is ok basically. Worth noting maybe - this lens does not offer image stabilisation. The lens is not as fast as I thought it might be. I have a Nikon prime lens for my D7000 which is amazing fast and sharp (& cost less than this...) so I'll give it four stars. It certainly helps make the Gx1 a good little camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent lens, but shop around., 11 May 2014
Compact, light, quick focussing lens that is often all I need... making my G1 much easier to carry.
There is some pincushion distortion, but nothing more than typical for a moderate wide angle lens, and slight shading in the corners at full aperture, though usually this isn't enough to be obtrusive.
Price is the only thing that bugs me about Micro Four Thirds lenses. I bought my H-H014 new, split from a kit of lenses so it came in a plain box and bubble-wrap with nothing apart from front and rear caps for 132. That seems like a more justifiable price for such a small amount of glass with no O.I.S. A niche market means that Panasonic and Olympus pretty much have the field to themselves and lenses that should be cheaper to produce than those that have to make allowances for a mirror cell are instead priced for a very healthy profit. The Panasonic 45mm macro lens remains way outside my budget!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›