5.0 out of 5 stars red microwave
absolutely perfect has the same capacity of other microwaves, but takes up a fraction of the space as it fits in to the corner, vary impressed with the steamer facility my veg has never tasted so good
Published on 20 Jan. 2013 by Carol Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Break down for second time
Published 9 months ago by iancook

5.0 out of 5 stars red microwave, 20 Jan. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 26 Oct. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
We recently updated our kitchen from an old 1950s look to bring it right up to the 21st century. As soon as we finished we knew we needed a microwave, the old silver sanyo had served us well but it looked old, and took up too much space.

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great and feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

In terms of performance it is also very good, the only reason it loses a star is I'm not too fond of the controls. They are touch controls, but you seem to have to plant your thumb on them to get it to work. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad, just a little frustrating at first. So it loses a star for that, although the instructions are good enough and you should be using it right out of the box.

One thing that is very useful is the steamer bowl that comes with it. Used it first time I used the microwave and worked just as I hoped. When you steam things there is a pretty good process, you enter what it is you are steaming, then the weight of the food, and the microwave works out the time you need, simples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking microwave!, 16 Dec. 2012
I've always been a bit wary of microwave ovens and never really wanted one but when the kids started liking Oats so simple I realised it would be easier in a microwave. This is not a very powerful oven but it does what I want and doesn't take up too much space (I only have a small kitchen).
The only problem I have with it is it is not very tall inside so packets of microwave rice won't stand up in it or soup sachets. Not a major problem for me but it could be for some people. Very efficient at defrosting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Function and style, 9 July 2012
M. Smith "Squiffee" (UK) - See all my reviews
Lovely item. I had a more powerful model before but decided to try this expecting slower cooking times
Not noticed this. Only complaint is that cable is very short so you need to have space very close to
A socket.

1.0 out of 5 stars Break down for second time, 18 Sept. 2014
This is a replacement that Amazon sent when the first broke down. Unfortunately the replacement is now broken, and like some other reviewers of this microwave, we experienced sparks, a burning smell and a loud noise. If we had not been in the kitchen the microwave may well have caught fire. Like the previous microwave the clock stopped working very soon after we bought it so all in all not a great experience. The microwave itself looks good and fits in a corner well and worked fine until the problem but as we have now had two breakdowns I don't think we are keen to have another.
Thumbs up to Amazon in that they replaced the first one without question even though it was 21 months old however second time around they referred us to Whirlpool. I am currently waiting for a Whirlpool engineer to visit although I cannot imagine it is repairable.
Update

The engineer took the microwave to bits and eventually worked out that it was a food splash on the plastic like sheet that covers the element on the left side of the microwave (as you look at the microwave)that had caused the trouble. He replaced the sheet and everything now works well. Dead simple when you are in the know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Microwave, 25 Aug. 2011
Just as it describes. Functional. Space saving and good steamer too. For my Father who needed a compact microwave oven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 11 Nov. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Whirlpool Max Microwave with Steam Function - Black (Kitchen & Home)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 10 Nov. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great. It also feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

All in all, very pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cooking quality but fiddly digital controls and restricted height are amongst my frustrations, 21 Sept. 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I purchased this microwave 3 months ago on the back of all the positive reviews, combined with the fact that this microwave fits well into a corner space which seemed ideal for our particular requirement.

I find microwaves extremely useful for their defrost function and for how quick they are to reheat food, so when our 9 year old, relatively cheap LG microwave broke I was looking forwards to a significant upgrade, but this sadly falls short of my expectations in some respects… however let’s start with the good:

- The microwave does sit nicely in the corner of our utility room, making it easy to open the door and gain access for our space requirements (note we do have a unit above the microwave – the manual advises you have a gap of at least 30 cm above the appliance... worth noting).
- The cooking and defrost functions work very well with food being cooked or defrosted evenly

So the main reason we bought it (position in corner) and the performance of this microwave are both good… however the following issues I still find a little frustrating 3 months on; at first I was hoping I would get used to them or learn to live with them but I have not… yet.

The issues for me are:

- The touch control functions are still temperamental for me compared to my old microwave that also had touch controls, this is made worse by the timer controls (my next issue!), but I end up putting way too much time on because the buttons are over sensitive, or jabbing my thumb against controls to switch the thing on or add time…
- The timer’s buttons are just a plus or minus to add or remove time. On our old microwave you had a 10 min button, 1 min, or 10 secs, and these were preferable and quicker. I don’t think the plus or minus would be as much of an issue if the touch controls weren’t so temperamental
- The microwave is fairly height restricted (measures 14.5cm from top of turntable to very top of microwave). We sometimes have microwave rice pouches which scrapes the ceiling of the microwave as do some of the taller soup cartons we have.
- Once the microwave has finished it continues to stay on with the turntable moving and the light on making a noise, I find this unnecessary and as I’m often busy doing other things in the kitchen and hope to open the microwave when I next get chance.
- My final issue is the jet defrost function, you set the weight of your frozen item, and the microwave pauses defrosting half way through and will not continue to defrost until you have turned the food (i.e. opened the door and reclosed and then hit start again). Whilst I appreciate this is best practice, there are times when I am just defrosting two slices of bread, so don’t want or need to do this, then hate that I have to go back over to the microwave after the first ten seconds (which in fairness to me we keep in our utility room so I’m not that lazy but still fairly lazy I guess). I would prefer if it did what our old LG microwave did which was beep to signal half way through the defrost program so you have the option to go and turn the food should you wish.

I sincerely appreciate that some will see my issues as actual positives, but as with all my reviews I want to state what is personal to me and I hope that you will find my comments useful and informative whatever your final decision may be. So the main cooking functions on this microwave are good, I just wish I didn’t have such little niggles when I feel like I tried to buy a good make and model of microwave and so spent a bit more than I would have liked compared to my cheap LG microwave I bought 9 years ago which ultimately I preferred.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space-saving but flawed, 19 May 2013
This fits a narrow space (50cm) with enough airflow around the edges AND still fits a 29cm plate.
Replaces an older microwave which probably overheated due to lack of airflow at the sides and a shelf sheet against the top of the microwave.

Positives:
1. Fits a 29cm plate
2. Defrost and steam functions work very well.
3. Steamer kit which comes with it works very well.
4. Safety lock - after 2mins the unit locks up unless you open the door. Good for preventing toddlers using it, etc.
5. Curved back means it fits into a corner.
6. Narrow so fits a 50cm width with ample space at the sides for airflow.

Negatives:
1. Only 700w - most microwaves are now 800/850/900/950. This is annoying when calculating timings.
2. Low space inside - despite the impression the picture might convey the actual available height inside is low compared to others). E.g. it only just fits a Sainsburys plastic ready soup container in. Check the Whirlpool website for the specs.
3. No numerical keypad. You can press the start button repeatedly to increment the time in 30s intervals, or use the + and - buttons to up by 5s intervals, or use a preset programme. But this is very annoying.
4. The unit is very tall as the control panel is underneath.
5. Whirlpool offer only a 1 year guarantee in the UK, but a 2 year one in Ireland (nice huh!). So buy through a retailer who offer their own warranty (e.g. John Lewis if they sell it) or you could try to complain through the EU 2 year warranty rule.