5.0 out of 5 stars red microwave
absolutely perfect has the same capacity of other microwaves, but takes up a fraction of the space as it fits in to the corner, vary impressed with the steamer facility my veg has never tasted so good
Published on 20 Jan. 2013 by Carol Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Break down for second time
Published 7 months ago by iancook

5.0 out of 5 stars red microwave, 20 Jan. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 26 Oct. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
We recently updated our kitchen from an old 1950s look to bring it right up to the 21st century. As soon as we finished we knew we needed a microwave, the old silver sanyo had served us well but it looked old, and took up too much space.

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great and feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

In terms of performance it is also very good, the only reason it loses a star is I'm not too fond of the controls. They are touch controls, but you seem to have to plant your thumb on them to get it to work. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad, just a little frustrating at first. So it loses a star for that, although the instructions are good enough and you should be using it right out of the box.

One thing that is very useful is the steamer bowl that comes with it. Used it first time I used the microwave and worked just as I hoped. When you steam things there is a pretty good process, you enter what it is you are steaming, then the weight of the food, and the microwave works out the time you need, simples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool looking microwave!, 16 Dec. 2012
I've always been a bit wary of microwave ovens and never really wanted one but when the kids started liking Oats so simple I realised it would be easier in a microwave. This is not a very powerful oven but it does what I want and doesn't take up too much space (I only have a small kitchen).
The only problem I have with it is it is not very tall inside so packets of microwave rice won't stand up in it or soup sachets. Not a major problem for me but it could be for some people. Very efficient at defrosting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space-saving but flawed, 19 May 2013
This fits a narrow space (50cm) with enough airflow around the edges AND still fits a 29cm plate.
Replaces an older microwave which probably overheated due to lack of airflow at the sides and a shelf sheet against the top of the microwave.

Positives:
1. Fits a 29cm plate
2. Defrost and steam functions work very well.
3. Steamer kit which comes with it works very well.
4. Safety lock - after 2mins the unit locks up unless you open the door. Good for preventing toddlers using it, etc.
5. Curved back means it fits into a corner.
6. Narrow so fits a 50cm width with ample space at the sides for airflow.

Negatives:
1. Only 700w - most microwaves are now 800/850/900/950. This is annoying when calculating timings.
2. Low space inside - despite the impression the picture might convey the actual available height inside is low compared to others). E.g. it only just fits a Sainsburys plastic ready soup container in. Check the Whirlpool website for the specs.
3. No numerical keypad. You can press the start button repeatedly to increment the time in 30s intervals, or use the + and - buttons to up by 5s intervals, or use a preset programme. But this is very annoying.
4. The unit is very tall as the control panel is underneath.
5. Whirlpool offer only a 1 year guarantee in the UK, but a 2 year one in Ireland (nice huh!). So buy through a retailer who offer their own warranty (e.g. John Lewis if they sell it) or you could try to complain through the EU 2 year warranty rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Function and style, 9 July 2012
M. Smith "Squiffee" (UK) - See all my reviews
Lovely item. I had a more powerful model before but decided to try this expecting slower cooking times
Not noticed this. Only complaint is that cable is very short so you need to have space very close to
A socket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 10 Nov. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I'm not aware of another model that is designed like this, with a curved back, and the controls underneath, but I can say it works. It's the only one we could find that would sit in the corner at a 45 degree angle from the wall, so we were hoping it looked it good. I wasn't disappointed, it looks great. It also feels well made with glossy paint over a metal body. The slick black front also looks good, we've even had people commenting on how good it looks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Microwave, 25 Aug. 2011
Just as it describes. Functional. Space saving and good steamer too. For my Father who needed a compact microwave oven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great space saving microwave, 11 Nov. 2011
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Whirlpool Max Microwave with Steam Function - Black (Kitchen & Home)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally fabulous!, 24 Nov. 2011
I bought this for my new flat and it is stunning. Fits into the corner perfectly, is easy to use, looks like a posh computer. Best microwave I've ever bought, truly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Break down for second time, 18 Sept. 2014
This is a replacement that Amazon sent when the first broke down. Unfortunately the replacement is now broken, and like some other reviewers of this microwave, we experienced sparks, a burning smell and a loud noise. If we had not been in the kitchen the microwave may well have caught fire. Like the previous microwave the clock stopped working very soon after we bought it so all in all not a great experience. The microwave itself looks good and fits in a corner well and worked fine until the problem but as we have now had two breakdowns I don't think we are keen to have another.
Thumbs up to Amazon in that they replaced the first one without question even though it was 21 months old however second time around they referred us to Whirlpool. I am currently waiting for a Whirlpool engineer to visit although I cannot imagine it is repairable.
Update

The engineer took the microwave to bits and eventually worked out that it was a food splash on the plastic like sheet that covers the element on the left side of the microwave (as you look at the microwave)that had caused the trouble. He replaced the sheet and everything now works well. Dead simple when you are in the know.