5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine so far...
Chose this drive based on manufacturer, storage size and price. Other makes seem to be having more failures, according to reviews. Only had it for a month, but working well as an external back-up for my laptop (Windows Vista 32 bit home premium).

Set-up was just plug in and go - ignoring the "need to install a driver" window that popped up. File access is...
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Jasper

2.0 out of 5 stars Not robust, iffy software
Good points:
* Good data transfer rate
* Compact

Bad points:
* Dropping it just 100mm onto a hard surface can kill the drive!!!
* Bundled backup software will only sync to 1 pc hence useless to move data between several PCs if you have used backup functions
* Backup software also encrypts data - but locked to 1 pc, so if that PC goes...
Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Comical Engineer

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0) (Personal Computers)
i bought the WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive one month ago, it works quite well

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 29 Jan. 2011
A. Smith "smith" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my son and not heard one negative thing from him and knowing how critical teenagers can be must mean it's good. Other good thing as far as teenagers are concerned is the bright red colour makes it much easier to see/find and less likely to get stood on when he does the typical teenager thing of leaving it on the floor!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay!, 28 Jan. 2011
I am sooo glad I bought this hard drive.
My previous one was huge and had its own power supply so having this neat little package is brilliant.
The auto-backup function is excellent, when you plug it in the software starts up automatically and it scans your computer extremely quickly for any new data and then copies it to the hard drive.
It does scuff quite easily but I've put it in one of my Nintendo DS socks and it's been fine since then :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, small and handy, 12 Jan. 2011
Very fast, nice looking, small, light and indeed portable. Costs only a fraction more than USB 2, but was worth paying more - works super fast on USB 3.0.

3.0 out of 5 stars USB 3.0 Micro-B connector, 20 May 2012
What the hell is this thing? I just want a simple 500 GB HD - This cable for USB 3.0 is great I guess...if I had usb 3.0 on my computer (or an adapter). If I lose this cable I'm screwed.

Also all the software that comes with the hard drive is crap - 128 bit encryption WTF? Who am I - Jason Bourne?

Jebus keep it simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to look at.., 7 Feb. 2011
This lovely little hard drive is still in my drawer. I so want to install it, but I've been warned that it re writes the info you download. I want it as extra memory to store my photos. It's been hard for me to install myself. I'm still waiting for an expert to come and do it for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
Okay

4.0 out of 5 stars portable hard drive, 22 Feb. 2011
I purchased this item as a gift for a friend who seems to be pleased with it; so I personally am unable to comment