5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine so far...
Chose this drive based on manufacturer, storage size and price. Other makes seem to be having more failures, according to reviews. Only had it for a month, but working well as an external back-up for my laptop (Windows Vista 32 bit home premium).

Set-up was just plug in and go - ignoring the "need to install a driver" window that popped up. File access is...
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Jasper

2.0 out of 5 stars Not robust, iffy software
Good points:
* Good data transfer rate
* Compact

Bad points:
* Dropping it just 100mm onto a hard surface can kill the drive!!!
* Bundled backup software will only sync to 1 pc hence useless to move data between several PCs if you have used backup functions
* Backup software also encrypts data - but locked to 1 pc, so if that PC goes...
Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by Comical Engineer

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive, 28 July 2011
This review is from: WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0) (Personal Computers)
This Hard Drive is simply for storing for security my stock of photographs, apart from any other "back ups". It does this. I can't make any other comments about it.

It came more quickly than the time stated, which was good.

Val Hatton

4.0 out of 5 stars External drive, 9 Oct. 2011
Mr "Mike J-J" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I have several external hard drives and they are really convenient and easy to use. This one was slightly larger but still good and it's storage capacity is fantastic. The ideal way to store stuff safely outside the laptop - e.g. photographs.

3.0 out of 5 stars USB 3.0 Micro-B connector, 20 May 2012
What the hell is this thing? I just want a simple 500 GB HD - This cable for USB 3.0 is great I guess...if I had usb 3.0 on my computer (or an adapter). If I lose this cable I'm screwed.

Also all the software that comes with the hard drive is crap - 128 bit encryption WTF? Who am I - Jason Bourne?

Jebus keep it simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, small and handy, 12 Jan. 2011
Very fast, nice looking, small, light and indeed portable. Costs only a fraction more than USB 2, but was worth paying more - works super fast on USB 3.0.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to look at.., 7 Feb. 2011
This lovely little hard drive is still in my drawer. I so want to install it, but I've been warned that it re writes the info you download. I want it as extra memory to store my photos. It's been hard for me to install myself. I'm still waiting for an expert to come and do it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 30 Jan. 2011
i bought the WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive one month ago, it works quite well

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
Okay

4.0 out of 5 stars portable hard drive, 22 Feb. 2011
I purchased this item as a gift for a friend who seems to be pleased with it; so I personally am unable to comment