5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent back-up choice
The Usb 3.0 version of WD My Passport Essential is a winner. It's very compact and light (more than what the images you see online suggest) and is also good looking. The plastic case is glossy & can pick up fingerprints but it still looks good. The usb 3.0 cable provided fits tightly at both ends. It's fully compatible with Usb 2.0. I got double the speeds with Usb 3.0...
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Sagar

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy
Bought this drive for my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, which is one of the "compatible" systems for the drive. Loading the software and reformatting the drive is a complete fiddle. Much worse however is that once the process was complete the drive kept ejecting every few minutes. Returned it to Amazon assuming it was faulty. Exactly the same thing happened with...
Published 23 months ago by jimbop

5.0 out of 5 stars very easy to use and transfer files, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Pacific Blue Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0) (Electronics)
quite happy with it, can't complain so far. small, and easy to handle, easy to transfer files.
would recommend it to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont buy a WD Passport hard drive, 5 Mar 2014
Because you cannot see what it is backing up. And you run the risk of what happened to me. Despite religiously backing up my laptop every weekend from the moment I got my laptop, when its hard drive crashed 18 months later I discovered that neither of the two WD passports I had been backing up my laptop to had a complete backup of my laptop. And I have just had to pay 350 to have a "deep" data recovery specialist recover the past year or so worth of family photos.

If you are not an IT expert buy a plain hard drive instead so you can manually drag folders onto the hard drive!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 18 Feb 2013
Sometimes it works and sometimes not. It's very small and handy but I am not sure why it's not always at its optimum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wd passport 500gb, 7 Feb 2013
Lice little product with USB 3.0 I bought this and added this to my smart tv it worked out well to record all my tv program's
Eugene

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 18 Jan 2013
Mrs. C. L. Littlejohn (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I use this to back up my home computer and daughters laptop. Easy to use and good price, quite like the bright blue colour too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and fast, 31 Oct 2012
I've had this hard drive for a few months now and have had no problems. USB 3 is very fast, so backing up my computer is done in no time at all. It's extremely portable too - very light. Very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, 2 Sep 2012
I've bough this hard drive about one year ago, or I should say, I've bought one but I had to change it due to a manifaturer ploblem with the disk, I've got it changed in no time and now I'm really satisfied with it, I use it to store my documents, and it's really fast with its 3.0 usb port while copying files from my pc.

I usually connect it to my TV in order to show holidays photos and videos I store on it to my family and I've never had a single problem of compatibility, the price is fair enough for the really amazing product it is, it's really small and the colour is beautiful, so no problems at all thanks to the prompt assistance you can receive from WD!

4.0 out of 5 stars WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Pacific Blue Portable Hard Drive, 16 July 2012
The product arrived quickly. It's really easy to set up on Windows. However, in Mac environment is slow and many times unplugged itself. If you are going to use this hard drive in Mac you should reformat it before putting anything valuable on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Storage, 26 Jun 2012
Mr. Richard H. Newsam "ronnewsam" (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
What's to say other than products from Western Digital do just as it says on the box-no fuss-no extras to buy-just plug it in and away you go, everything backed up without any assistance. Were it not for the small blue light in the casing I wouldn't know whether or not it is working. Hope it's as efficient at restoring files as it is at backing up, mind you I might never find out. Thanks WD for yet another great product. Oh yes, better mention the excellent service from Amazon, and delivered on the day stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passport 500, 4 May 2012
M. A. Godfrey - See all my reviews
The unit was purchased for automatic backups of my system, Ubuntu, first with ver: 11.10 now with 12.04. It works without trouble on both. The internally loaded Microsoft .exe files were a waste of space and removed, nothing more was needed other than the back-up program I've utilized, in this case Deja-Dup but other Linux freeware also worked properly. If you run your system with Linux Ubuntu you can't go wrong with this unit. As it would be the Linux kernel that sees the unit it should be fine for any Linux system.

The unit is connected via a USB 3.0 port and is incredibly fast on each backup.WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Pacific Blue Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

ARRAY(0xa66daa14)