4.0 out of 5 stars A good low-price crime thriller
The first few chapters of this book are a superbly executed description of a man being arrested and processed for alleged rape, which should serve as a salutary warning to any man thinking that casual sex with a stranger is a good idea. The rest of the book doesn't quite maintain the standard, although it is well-written and a good, pacy read.

With the rape...
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by P. Stephens

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many typos
Published on 26 Feb 2012 by janieb

4.0 out of 5 stars A good low-price crime thriller, 15 Aug 2011
P. Stephens (Bath, B&NES United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Fatal Intervention (DCI Tom Caton Manchester Murder Mysteries Book 4) (Kindle Edition)

With the rape allegation withdrawn the central character, a young Manchester-based barrister, is off the hook, but instead becomes hooked on the tragic back-story of the woman who (falsely) accused him. He follows her to London, where he has a series of encounters with nasty people, none of which really go anywhere (the nasty people don't appear again). He also starts to receive some sinister rhyming text messages, accompanied by the murders of people connected with his professional life. Back in Manchester, he eventually discovers who's committing the murders, in a reveal that just (and only just) stays short of the "you didn't guess who the murderer was, reader, because we didn't tell you they even existed until page 436' school of crime writing. Meanwhile (and rather frustratingly), the central mystery the lawyer has been trying to solve remains, basically, unsolved.

Despite that there are still plenty of things to enjoy, including the portrayal of the cagey (and shifting) relationship between the lawyer and the police, and solid detail on police and legal procedure. There are even some nicely handled hints of romance. There's also, however, just a hint of this book being assembled from a series of pre-fabricated modules (perhaps using creative writing software designed to help you assemble novels from pre-fabricated modules), rather than written as a single whole in which characters and story flow continuously. I was also a bit surprised to find that it's part of a 'DCI Tom Caton' series, since DCI Caton is a minor character and the entire book is written from the lawyer's point of view.

Books like this should be judged in the context of their price. At 'full' price I'd expect better, but at bargain price (which it is) it's a good few hours of honest, enjoyable entertainment. I'll definitely be reading more by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a Tom Caton Mystery, 19 Jan 2013
Ms. K. Johnson "Big Reader" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
It actually makes me feel quite sad that I've given this book just 2 stars but I feel altogether duped by it and as such cannot rate it any higher. Before I go on to review A Fatal Intervention as a story I would like to point out that, although I spotted the odd punctuation mistake, I did not experience the level of errors that many reviewers have highlighted. I purchased my Kindle copy of this book on 1st January 2013 so it would appear that the vast majority of the mistakes have been corrected.

Anyway, on to the review... I bought this book, as I suspect most people will, because it is billed by Amazon as well as by the authors own website as the 4th DCI Tom Caton story. IT IS NOT. My progress recorder on my Kindle told me I was 62% of the way through the story before Tom is even mentioned and from that point onwards he appears as an extremely peripheral character, present in very few scenes, with minimal lines of dialogue. DI Gordon Holmes is in the story from the start and appears at various points throughout but for me this is not enough for this to be counted as one of the series.

The story is told from the point of view of Rob Thornton, a barrister who, as the product description says, is wrongly accused of rape before being dragged into spiral of even dirtier deeds. I found the character of Rob thoroughly bizarre. Here we have an educated and supposedly rational individual who, because of his career, is well aware of the procedures and workings of the police and yet his choices and actions throughout the story wouldn't be out of place in a dodgy crime storyline on any of the TV soap operas whose residents seem so determined to mistrust and misuse the police and their associates. Having said that I allowed myself to be swept along with the story and, once I managed to successfully suspend my disbelief at much of what we are expected to accept in the final chapters, I confess I did actually enjoy the book... as a standalone novel. I would very much rather have come to A Fatal Intervention once I have finished the real DCI Caton stories currently available on Amazon. As well as enjoying the mysteries and intrigues of the previous 3 books, I have been increasingly drawn in by the more intricate details of Toms personal life, specifically his relationship with Kate, as well as the interactions of the whole team, Gordon, Jo, Sarah, Ged, Duggie, Nick etc. Reading this book now has really stunted this development for me and, having already started the 5th (4th?) Tom Caton story, Bluebell Hollow, I am finding it difficult to get back into it, particularly as Tom and Kate's relationship seems to have moved on rather a lot since we left them at the hotel in Yorkshire at the end of The Tiger's Cave.

My recommendation to Bill Rogers (for what it is worth) is that this book would be much better served if it were advertised as a standalone novel - point out that it contains some characters from the Caton series by all means but do not try to draw people in under false pretences.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many typos, 26 Feb 2012
There are far too many typos and continuity errors in the Kindle edition. Are these in the printed version or simply transcription errors? It really affected the experience of reading the book. Mis-spellings, apostrophes in plurals - a pet peeve of mine and very annoying. During the description of the online counselling session, the therapist's name keeps changing every few lines. Does no-one proof read these things? Or is that why they are so cheap? I noticed errors in the other books I have read in this series but this title was particularly bad. I have one left to read and hope the same problem does not recur. I have in general enjoyed the books, but the errors are infuriating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 19 Feb 2012
I was unable to enjoy this book as the repeated grammatical mistakes and misspelling if characters names was so irritating.I t is very unprofessional and I won't be reading anything by this author in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 30 Nov 2011
I had high hopes for this book after reading the first few chapters and the positive reviews here. However, I have given up in frustration at the number of mis-spellings, typos and word-processing mistakes. Whole chapters are actually mistake-free, and I found myself lulled into a false sense of security, then it appeared as if chunks had escaped proof-reading, and it was like reading the instant sub-titles on Sky news - full of basic mistakes which a simple spelling and grammar check would have picked up. Among them, and these are only a few examples-

- commas at the end of sentences instead of full-stops, and lots of .............. instead of commas (or when the typist did not know how to punctuate?)
- words split into two in the middle of lines (flash backs, baby sat)
- a dialogue in which the names of one of the people involved had been changed, but not all the way through, making for total confusion (April becomes Moira - but only twice, then reverts to April)
- speling mistakes (Coco cola)
-typos where dialogues had been changed but not checked ('he could see her willing it all end' - 'he was still was trying to decide'
-in a dialogue about the Smiths, the lead singer's name was written as ' Mossey'

I'm only a third of the way in, but I've had enough. I know it didn't cost much. But I think I'm entitled to expect more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 4 Oct 2011
I like storylines which are credible and fast moving. This fits the bill.
Taking the cost-price, yes this was good value for money; and the geography worked out too (it's an area I do know). I don't think we could ever portray Manchester as being as full of action, excitement and romance as, say New York, Beverly Hills or such like, but there's something relaxing and warming in reading about goings-on somewhere I once called Home. This may have been a work of fiction, but a close encounter of a story for one man I used to know.
So, an altogether credible setting, interesting and informed (hopefully not too much so for the author's sake)and well worth following this author. I read quite a bit of Cornwell, Higgins, Dick Francis, Cussler and of course Jeffrey (Archer) so I do like various levels of credibility and style and this line fits in very nicely.
Thanks.
Keith Dixon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reads, 20 April 2014
I always enjoy the Bill Rodgers books and I have read a few.They are always good and Because I live in Manchester the books are more realistic because I know the areas he writes about.I would recommend this book and his others to Mancunians and everyone else that likes a good thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant rogers, 4 April 2014
another great book from bill rogers just gets better all the timebrilliant storyline from start to finish hope next book is as good

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read again, 26 Mar 2014
Was a bit disappointed that the story had a different main character in this series of Tom Caton books. Took a while to accept this new angle and therefore didn't enjoy it as much as others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Rogers has done it again, 11 Feb 2014
Great story , great read , I recommend the Tom Caton series to everyone, can't wait for the next one