Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£11.09

I was really pleased when Murray Gold was asked to compose the music for Doctor Who as I love the way he composes. :-)

This double CD set contains the original music scores from all “The Specials” in the last year of David Tennant being Doctor Who.

Both CD’s in this set are picture discs. :-)

Murrays’ melodies were flowing, lyrical, romantic, haunting, powerful, mournful, plenty of action and darker themes when each episode needed it. I also love the choral work on tracks 1 on disc 1 and on tracks 1, 9, 19, 21, 24, 25 and 26 :-)

I also love how Murray Gold orchestrated these soundtracks.

You get a lovely CD booklet that has still photos from the show as well as articles and info about each track. :-)

This is an excellent double CD set and it also reminds me of “The Specials”.
on 7 November 2010
What a masterpiece!!!

This 2 CD set is amazing! Murray Gold's stirring soundtrack will bring back memories from David Tennant's amazing and heartbreaking final episodes.

The highlight - the 2nd CD, music from The End of the Time. "Vale Decem" the final aria to the 10th Doctor will have you weeping as you remember his time as the keeper of the TARDIS and his regeneration.

Would recommend to all!
on 14 October 2010
The recent specials that wrapped up Tennant's tenure as the Tenth Doctor (I'm sure I can tentatively fit another 'ten' in there somewhere, but I won't) don't appeal to every fan, nor do they feel particularly special, and the music isn't immune to this.

A lot of the tracks on this album are ones I highly doubt I'd choose to listen to without simply playing the entire album through. They are, quite simply, filler material. The other New Who OSTs have them too, but in my opinion, they have fewer of them - and they each have a series worth of music on one disc, not four or five episodes.

That said...I'd say there are tracks on here that blow Gold's previous hits out of the water, and the vast majority are on the second half of the album - the "disc" dedicated entirely to the two-part End of Time. Everybody seems to want to hear Vale Decem, and rightly so - it is beautiful, moving, powerful and subtle at the same time (but mainly powerful, especially if you can remember the imagery and events associated with the music) and I find myself listening to it over and over again.

The Clouds Pass is another equally epic, thumping orchestral action theme, but it too has an emotive core, triumphant, sympathetic and sad all at the same time - or maybe that's just because of the scene it's used in.

The New Doctor is actually even more fun to listen to without the sounds of the TARDIS exploding and the Eleventh Doctor's first words (and anatomical checklist) that becomes dark and desperate - easily one of my favourite tracks.

There are two tracks called Vale, and it's the one at the end of the album that is especially powerful, while being subtle and slightly reminiscent of Doomsday...for the first half. But it's perhaps one of the not so big or pounding tracks that probably takes my top spot, and I'm not entirely sure why - to me, A Special Sort of Bus is simple, effective, emotive and the urgency is palpable, as is the desperation.

This album has a lot of material that perhaps doesn't represent Mr Gold's best work, but I think it's worth it for the gems.
on 30 October 2013
***This is a review about the technicalities of the CD pressing, and NOT the music itself.***

For reasons unbeknown to us mere mortals, the BBC have seen fit to press this CD from lossy masters. Lossy, for those not familiar with the term, basically means that the audio is compressed and data/frequencies are discarded in order to reduce the file size. MP3 is a lossy format. Compact Disc is a lossless format, meaning the audio has full bandwidth (a full frequency response to 22khz) with no loss of data, frequency or subtleties.

In other words, the master recordings for this CD have been pressed to CD from a format like MP3, instead of full quality lossless masters. You can check this by simply extracting one of the tracks from the CD to a format like WAV and examining the audio spectrum in a program like Adobe Audition CS6 (PC). Any areas of black denote the missing audio data, which cannot be recovered. The result is a compressed, slightly muddy sound that lacks depth, sheen and quality.

This is a very disappointing situation, as Mr. Gold's music deserves a lot better treatment. It would be interesting to see how this happened; indeed similar situations befell the CD releases of both G.I. Joe - The Rise Of Cobra and the Lesbian Vampire Killers OST. Whilst Silva Screen were quick to rectify the situation on the latter, the BBC seem to have taken the stance of Varese Sarabande on the former and stood by the "quality" of their aurally inferior product.
on 4 October 2010
Murray Gold's music from the specials was probably the most well-crafted of his soundtracks for Doctor Who. There were many stand-out and powerful tracks - unfortunately, some appear to have been missed.

The album as a soundtrack is superb. The music is well produced and there's a wide range of material. There are cartoonish adventurous pieces (A Bit of a Drag, The Cat Burglar), powerful epic melodies (Final Days, The Clouds Pass), sad and reflective tunes (The Fate of Little Adelaide, Vale) and suspenseful climactic tracks (A Dream of Catastrophe, The Master Suite).

Regrettably, some brilliant harmonic pieces have not been released, most notably from The Waters Of Mars and The End Of Time Part 1. Those brilliantly powerful tracks which you would assume would be a must for inclusion on the album are never heard, which comes as a disappointment to some who have been waiting for such a long time.

But there are some phenomenal pieces to enjoy. Of course, there is a faithful (if rather quiet) performance of Vale Decem and a fantastic unused cue which follows in the track Vale. Both tracks are huge successes which are difficult to stop listening to.

Overall, if you're a fan of Murray Gold and generally enjoy his music, this is probably the best purchase you could make. But if you're looking for particular cues used in the episodes, don't expect them all to be included.
on 24 January 2013
Once again Murray Gold delivers with his powerful scores of music which always make me feel the emotions of the characters that the music is relating to. To describe Murray Gold's music in one word: beautiful.
on 12 October 2010
First and foremost, the music is simply fantastic. And for 2 CDs at the same price as one, it is a real bargain. The first disk comprises tracks from the first three specials, and the 2nd contains selected tracks from The End of Time. The music on the first disk is slightly variable, but does nonetheless contain a lot of enjoyable tracks. I particularly liked the ones from the Christmas special The Next Doctor. The 2nd disk is where it picks up, feeling more cinematic and epic in scope. Do not be fooled into thinking every cue from the End of Time is present, it isn't. People should stop complaining about what cues were missing and focus on the outstanding tracks which were delivered.

Secondly, the sound quality is amazing, the mixing guys should give themselves a pat on the back. Very crisp indeed. If you enjoyed any of the previous CDs then definitely buy this, it is the perfect end to Tennant's era on the show.
on 1 September 2010
It was inevitable. With so many changes to the production crew, logo, opening titles, theme music, even the TARDIS, they'd never release the specials soundtrack on the same CD as series 5 (or 1). And they haven't let us down - including (to quote DWM) "55 minutes from the End of Time part 2" - that's more or less the whole thing!

The specials have an incredible soundtrack (one of Doctor Who's best so far, only to be superceded by "I am the Doctor" from series 5).

And with pieces such as "Vale Decem", "The Timelords' last stand" and "Four Knocks", who wouldn't want this? There's even "Wilf's Wiggle" for those who like the more cheeky cues.

A great buy, without a doubt.

Murray Gold: "I wonder if anyone will listen to it all the way through..."
Me: "Oh yeah!"

BS
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2010
Disc one = meh, Disc Two = hell YES

I found most of Disc One pretty forgettable. But Disc Two makes up for it. There's a couple more average tracks, but most of it is glorious. There's some brilliant themes in there that I'd love Murray Gold to revisit in future Doctor Who music (there is definitely one great, if brief, theme that we hear in the first minutes of Series 5 when Matt Smith's Doctor is hanging out of the TARDIS, and according to the CD booklet the track "A Special Sort Of Bus" contains music which is used in Series 5...though I just can't work out where, so I'll just have to wait till the Series 5 soundtrack is out). Exemplary tracks are ones such as "The End Draws Near" and "Final Days". "Vale Decem" is of course lovely. And the penultimate track "The New Doctor" brings always a grin to my face when I hear it - not exactly the 'profound' stuff I've become accustomed to with Doctor Who music but it's just so darn fun, you can't help but love it. The perfect accompaniment to Matt Smith's first appearance as the Doctor. I don't know how I'm going to survive till the next soundtrack is out.

One final thing - several reviewers before me have been miffed because they feel a lot of the music used in the Specials has been left out/remixed too much. Maybe I just didn't listen hard enough to the music when I was watching the program, but I didn't feel that way. All the great stuff is on the CD, for me.
on 3 September 2010
I've been waiting all year for this soundtrack! Murray Gold's haunting scores have helped make Doctor Who the television powerhouse it is today. His work on Series 5 (Season 31 or 32, I think) has taken an entirely different tack to suit the new cast and production team, and it's kind of repetitive, but still good. I'm looking forward to that as well.

Now, having heard the beautiful track on YouTube and in the specials, I can tell you my favorites: when the Master saves the Doctor (spoilers!) and when the Doctor finally regenerates into his eleventh form. The scene in which the Master returns the favor done him by his old adversary is second only to the following pieces. The Master's rage at Rassilon for creating him, and his final act of defiance, are pulled off splendidly by actor John Simm with help from Murray Gold's epic music. The piece called "Vale Decem", combined with then-head writer and producer Russel T. Davies' outstanding writing for the regeneration scene, make me break down crying every time I experience it. I am not at all ashamed to say that, either. The music and the scene itself are that powerful.

All in all, if you love incredible and epic music, this soundtrack is for you. It would be a crime to pass up the chance to own this masterpiece.