5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Emotional and Brutally Honest
Published on 16 Dec 2010 by CJW.

3.0 out of 5 stars Driven
Published 22 months ago by Dyspeptic Spirit

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Emotional and Brutally Honest, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
Joan Rivers is a living comedy legend! I'm 16 and I think she's 10x funnier than half of the 'modern day' comediennes, and whilst we see her bravado on tv, her humour and jokes made of herself as well as her brutal opinions and public roastings from others we never see whats behind the curtain..this is without a doubt one of the best documentaries I have ever seen! Joan has seen some real trauma in life and still struggles to go on in life with her career, the camera is almost non stop rolling sometimes you forget you're watching it on dvd and feel more like you're watching it first person. It offers in sight into how Joan feels about things, how she deals with them and how she goes on in life despite everything thats happened. This dvd allows you to see a true celebrity in her true form, and we see just how talented she is, in every aspect. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god, she's still alive!!, 8 Jan 2011
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
What I really enjoyed about this documentary was the honesty. Besides the fact that she's hilarious the main topic is always what show business really is like and the importantance of having contacts and a loyal team around you, of course. Joan is facing some issues at some point of the movie and everybody is completely opened about it. Sadness is for sure part of this but also success and the ability of standing up again and with that reinventing yourself.
The music and the editing are wonderful although I would have liked to see what her friends are like, when she's around.
After having watched the movie for five times I'll say that the directors and Joan created a wonderful mirror.

5 Stars, because it's a 'must see'!!

And here comes a little spoiler:
Joan is discussing the carson-tragedy and with that Edgars passing which made her deal with interesting consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and a must-see documentary, 31 Dec 2010
Lois Levett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
Love or hate Joan Rivers, this is a totally must-see film. It shows her vulnerability, her difficult life but, above that, her surprisingly true work ethic and truly great spirit.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues With This 'USA-ONLY' Title..., 18 Mar 2014
Mark Barry (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Most of the reviews are for the 'DVD'. But if you want to buy this on BLU RAY and you live in the UK or Europe - there's a problem...

This American Only IFC Films BLU RAY is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Another title denied us by the crap of Region Coding. Joan would be rightly outraged...

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw. Honest. Funny, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
I love Joan Rivers' comedy. Super humour. This documentary, however, showed a completely different side to Joan. It is so raw and honest that you get to see a little bit more of Joan herself. Definitely a must watch for anyone who enjoys great comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking and hilarious, 3 Dec 2012
R. Kruger "deutschlad" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
a year in the life of Joan Rivers - what a trooper - and is that house for REAL ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside The Life Of An Icon, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
A delightful and honest peek into the current life of one of the planet's funniest people.

An absolute must for all Joan Rivers fans.

I recently met her in real life and can honestly say she is what she is. Funny, clever, gracious and incredibly hard working. She treats her fans like gold, which is good. Because we think she is a diamond !

The DVD also has lots of extra scenes which is a real bonus.

Super.

3.0 out of 5 stars Driven, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
This film is simple in concept. The makers followed Joan Rivers for a year, filming her every move as they went and these edited highlights give us a window into her life. It's far from being the most interesting doumentary I have ever seen but it left me with two strong memories. Firstly how driven Ms Rivers is and secondly finding out that this woman who works ceaselessly, who craves popularity and success, who to my eyes looks pretty good if a little like a "real doll" is 75 years old. If I have half her energy when I am that old I will be a happy man! It's absolutely astonishing to see a woman of that age depressed unless her diary is anything less than packed out (we are talking multiple appointments every day) at a time of her life when she should be taking it easy. Part of me admires her spirit, the other half of me feels that she should get some perspective. But ultimately if she gives people pleasure and enjoys what she is doing, who am I to comment.

Worth a watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a show!, 3 Jun 2012
I give it only 3 stars.

My mistake, really. I was expecting a show, but this DVD is a documentary about Joan's life (a year in the life of). Quie well done, but not what I was expecting.

It does contain a few snippets of her shows, but very little.

5.0 out of 5 stars joan rivers a piece of work, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] (DVD)
Brill documentary everyone sIhould watch this !!! Gives u a great inside to her as a person too enjoy and see her on tour while u can this Oct as it could be the last

ARRAY(0xb1fcd174)

Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD]
Joan Rivers - A Piece Of Work [DVD] by Annie Sundberg (DVD - 2010)
9.99