TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 October 2010
Size: 2GB|Colour Name: Pink|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think I saw this on the gardget review on "Something for the Weekend" (Sunday morning show) and I have to admit I was intrigued by it - especially the shaking it to control songs etc.

I managed to fit on 17 CDs which isn't many - BUT a few are the compilations (eg 20 songs per CD) - and it is very easy to remove songs and add different songs. The software was also easy to install.

I agree that it is not as wearable as the iPod shuffle as it is not flat. The clip seems to hold its grip well and I've tried some (gentle) exercise which hasn't made it skip on at all.

The earphones that come with it seem a bit on the small side - and not as comfortable as others I've used, but then you can easily interchange with any other ear-headphones you might have already.

The charge seems to hold well (I'm confident it would last a long-ish haul flight , and all in all it compares very favourably with a Sony "walkman" USB stick style MP3 player I have (with the added bonus of having a clip)

Based on the size/capacity I wouldn't recommend this 2GB model if it was to be your only MP3 player - but for kids (or for sports if you don't want to use an expensive iPod) it is just the ticket.
Size: 4GB|Colour Name: Pink|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whilst this has its plus points, which I will get to presently,the main thing you need to know about the TicToc is that there is no LCD display and it operates only on motion. This is an advantage if you can't read or if you like gimmicks and novelties, but a disadvantage if, like me, you like to scroll playlists and ponder.
You have to learn to use it, as its not straightforward, and you control the volume with shakes, and the tunes with clicks and shakes- which I am still getting wrong.

Downloading was OK, when I figured it out, but I haven't figured out how to make the voice work-yes, you get a verbal playlist instead of a readable one. If you shake this wrong, or the wrong number of times,it can be over sensitive and perform the wrong function. I just didn't feel in control.

Its not all bad news though, here are the plus points as promised:

Its attractive, small and light. You could wesr it around your neck (say, if cycling) or there is a belt clip to attach it to yout clothes/belt. It comes with spare headphone covers, which is a nice touch, and is about the same size as a packet of Rennies (showing my age there). There is a 4GB memory on it, but I was not tempted to fill it when I feel I can't access the right song I want in the first place.

To be honest, I think my 13 year old niece would love the novelty value of this, as I got quite frustrated with the "3 shakes to the left, two clicks, one click, one good shake" palaver. Just give me an LCD screen and a few nore buttons. I can cope with that!
55 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 4GB|Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a tiny fun-looking fun-operating MP3 player. It offers in-ear headphones (spare pads too), USB cradle for charging and a PC porgram for loading/deleting tracks. The management program is held as a loader program in its memory and is offered when plugged into a PC. It uses this program to manage MP3 files. The program works well under Win7 64-bit. Load it with your favourite tracks from your PC and away you go.

There's no visual display of tracks or folders so you have to remember what's on there - make it simple! It is very easy to operate. There is a lady's voice to say when you have gone beyond its parameters.

The supplied headphones are not too good but they are usable. Bass is basically absent. Overall, the sound is okay. Using a pair of decent Sennheisser in-ear phones the sound is better but still lacks in many areas. I have a cheapish Samsung mobile phone which beats this MP3 player by a mile.

This is a kids' MP3 player and as such is not too bassy or loud - those young ears. But it is fun to use and different from others.
on 28 October 2010
A fun little gadget with a rather gimmicky 'unique selling point', as the marketers like to say! This is basically just a normal MP3 player without many features. However, the USP is that you can shake it around to control the music, eg to shuffle or skip songs. It was sort of fun and easy to use (especially the different shuffle modes). However, for me personally this was just not enough to hold my interest.

With no LCD screen, you can't see what song you are listening to. The 2GB size is ideal for popping 15-20 albums (or c. 300 individual tracks) on, so it's a good portable player but you couldn't keep your whole collection on here!

The charge held well and I was pleased with the battery life. The Tic Toc comes with a USB charger, which makes sense as you are likely to be using it with a computer. However, if you were away from home without a laptop then you would have no way of charging this. I'm not sure this is a big problem for most people (it isn't for me) but thought I would mention it as the other MP3 players I own (iPod nano and shuffle) are different so I thought it was worth noting.

The look and feel of the TicToc is relatively appealing, but 'plasticky'. The size and feel make it a good little MP3 player for short gym visits or short-term use - perhaps if you are travelling and don't want to take a super-expensive MP3 player. The clip is useful for securing it in a pocket or putting it on the arm of a t-shirt etc.

I found the earphones comfortable - they are 'in ear' buds. I was impressed that they came with little silicon covers in three different sizes, so you could change the size depending on what was most comfortable for you personally. I have an expensive pair of Sennheiser earbuds that came with this, but I have never come across this option as standard on a less expensive MP3 player so I thought it was a nice touch. The sound quality was not amazing but was decent, for an MP3 player, and made for a pleasant listening experience.

All in all, a fun little MP3 player - perhaps an ideal first MP3 player. It did the job just fine, but it didn't really excite me. It does what it says on the tin - but do you really care? For me, the 'shake to control the music' functionality just left me wondering what was wrong with the usual 'press a button' approach...
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2010
This has to be one of the smallest MP3 players around which is one of the good points. It's also pretty durable and looks quite funky, though seems to be aimed at kids. With that in mind it does the job; it's pretty simple to set up and use, the sound quality is good and the headphones are ok - though don't offer much bass.

Bad points? The one button control is a little fiddly at first. Different functions are accessed by pressing the button once, twice or thrice, or shaking the player, and also different functions can be accessed depending on whether the player is upside down, on its side, or the right way up.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the instructions is that you have to remove the player from its clear plastic case before you charge it.

Overall, if you're looking for well-priced stylish little MP3 player with basic functionality - this will do the job nicely. If you're looking for a manly, geek-pleasing gadget, this won't fit the bill.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 October 2010
As long as you don`t make the same mis-steps I did with installation, I think you will find Samsung have made a very viable and attractive alternative to anything Apple have produced.

Simple things first - the 4gb capacity is enough to hold best part of 1000 songs. I also think it looks great - small, rectangular and pretty. I`m turning into a bit of a fan of Samsung (whereas in the past only Sony would do), as their products are good looking and they work properly too.

With regards to the installation, as long as you install "Kies" - the equivalent of itunes - and rip your songs to that, it`s pretty straightforward. You can move songs over one-by-one or by folder and the screens are all clear and there is help/tutorial available. I made some silly errors at this crucial first stage and tried to drag things over from Windows Media Player but that didn`t work - resulting in one of those horrible error messages, in this case "file not supported". A quick, reluctant consulting of the manual and things were up and running as they should be.

All operations such as skip, volume +/-, go back to last track etc., are done by the big and only button, the trick being getting used to where to hold it - horizontally for skip, "+" skyward for volume increase, "-" up for quieter...I think I`ll get used to it...it isn`t complicated, just a new way for me to operate an MP3 player. I like the bud-type earphones too, they`re almost like earplugs in that they really do block out surrounding noise - but magical ones that music comes out of ;)

All in all, another good Samsung product. The only downside would be that the controls have a bit of hit and miss feel about them, but time will probably cure that. As Larry David would say, "pretty, pretty good".
on 9 September 2011
It is an excellent player, the quality of the sound is very good and is light and extremely portable. I suggest it for running or just to go on the train. Sometimes it is a bit annoying to use the shuffle options, else, it is perfect.
on 22 November 2010
The Samsung TicToc is a stylish little MP3 player, about the size of an ipod shuffle (and with some of the same features - it makes up for its lack of display by telling you the names of the tracks and battery life left). My old style shuffle had packed up, so I thought I'd give this a go.

I use it for the gym (having a smartphone that provides me with music at other times), so I've not used it with the included headphones (I can't run and keep headphones in, so have some clip round the ear ones). The sound quality is fine in this context - it goes loud enough and with decent enough bass to keep music pumping along. Moving tracks onto the TicToc was fine - Samsung have sensibly avoided trying to make an iTunes beater, and just go for a simple interface, which got the job done - it took me about an hour or so to fill it with selected tracks from a variety of albums.

So far, so good. Now, the controls... I just can't help thinking of the end a sci-fi B-movie where they reflect on the terrible creature they've created and unleashed on the world "We spent so long working out whether we could, we never bothered to work out whether we should." In my opinion this applies here. My old ipod shuffle was, if anything, smaller than the TicToc. It had an on/off switch, play/pause, forward and back and volume control. It also, make note, had a "lock" function. Not tricky to pick up and use. The TicToc has, frankly, daft controls. Hold it this way and press the one button, volume up, the other way, volume down (this sort of made sense). Shake it once, skip a track; shake it three times, skip mode. What!? There's nothing intuitive in that. I know it's not difficult to get accustomed to, but I just can't understand why I'd want to. I've never thought "this player has too many buttons, I wish it had only one, but I had to wave it around like a deranged traffic cop to control it". /rant

However, by far the most annoying feature for someone who uses this in the gym is the lack of a lock function (that I can find, although maybe shaken five times whilst repeating "Candyman"...). Clipped to my shorts, it frequently blurts out the title of a track, or skips to the next one, as I move around.

So, in summary, a decent knock about MP3 player, let down by a pointless control system.
on 4 September 2012
I absolutely love my samsung tictoc. The sound quality is amazing, and the battery lasts a good 8 hours+ between recharges. After nearly four months I'm still using the original headphones. It's incredibly easy to load music - either with the samsung program or just by dragging and dropping files to the player's folder.

The best thing for me (as a partially sighted user) about this mp3 player is that you never have to see it to work it. When you do a long press of the 1 button (at the end) to turn it on it tells you what battery capacity it has left. When you hold it so the button is at the top and press it it gets louder, at the bottom and it gets quieter. Hold it so the button is on one side and it skips forward, the other side skips back. When you shake it, it changes to either shuffle mode on or off - and tells you! When you drop it/make a sharp downward motion it announces what it's playing (artist and track title). When it doesn't have enough battery to continue it says so and tells you it's shutting down. When you turn it off by holding the button it plays a shutdown sound. I'm sure other people with visual problems must be looking for a similar mp3 player and I wanted to share how awesome this one is!!
First impressions are how small it is, it is tiny.

The MP3 comes with all you need to get going, charger which the MP3 sits in, USB for connecting to PC and headphones.
The MP3 also has a small carry case that it drops in to so you can connect it to you belt.

As far as a gadget goes the Samsung is amazing, it has one button to control all, you turn it up a click once for volume up, turn it upside down and click to turn it down, similar for track selection.

The sound is very good, I have a Sony MP3 similar to Sony NWZE444B E Series 8GB MP3 Walkman with Voice Recording Function - Black, the Samsung sound as good.

The down side is no display for knowing what Album you are on or which track, also without any buttons Its hard to tell which mode you are in, shake it and you are in shuffle mode, not sure If that would happen If you were jogging with it.

My MP3 is the blue Model, it was supposed to be pink, which my wife was looking forward to, but I obviously prefer the blue, even If it does look like a ladies thing when it is in its carry case.

I like it, I don't love it, for the reasons of no display.
It is an amazing gadget which has to be admired for the engineering.