5.0 out of 5 stars The best Davina yet!
Published on 12 Dec. 2010 by wenga

3.0 out of 5 stars Jump!
It is a good workout, but if you, like me, is not keen on jumping, don't get this one because both workouts are mainly a jumping feast and there is no alternative way of doing them. I won't be using this DVD much.
Published on 8 Dec. 2011 by KB

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Davina yet!, 12 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
Body Buff is definitely the best Davina yet. Like other reviewers, I quite liked Davina Fit but found there was something missing - it just wasn't challenging enough. This is not the case here. All over body toning, with a particular focus on the core, is integrated throughout this dvd. Old moves are given a refreshing & exciting new twist and new moves are introduced. I've tried all the Davina workouts (except the prenatal) along with upward of 50 fitness dvds in the last 2 years: Jillian Michaels, Jeanette Jenkins, Cathe Friedrich, The Firm, Ellen Barrett, Rodney Yee, Shiva Rea, to name just a few. Yet I started off with Davina and I always seem to come back to her, Superbody and High Energy Five being my favourites before this dvd. I would highly recommend this dvd, for beginners, intermediate exercisers and Davina fans alike. For those who find her annoying, there are virtually no annoying bits in Body Buff, although there are quite a few funny moments and Mark is HILARIOUS!

This breakdown will hopefully complete the dvd info for Body Buff:
Warm up - nearly 10 minutes long, seems shorter: the moves are NOT repeated over and over (unlike High Energy Five, same length, yet seemed longer). Integrates the core.

Boxing - led by Jackie. Leaves you satisfied that you've worked your whole body and got your heart rate up. Flows very well and the routine isn't repeated, you're not left thinking "oh, I've got to do all that over again now", like in the Superfit routine of Superbody. Jackie's cueing starts off brilliantly, but could be better towards the middle and end, where she doesn't always introduce the move before you do it, or repeat her usual "punch, punch, kick, kick, etc". You march between each set, but you could run if you wanted a higher intensity workout. To make it tougher, you could also use light handweights (1-1.5kg) or weighted gloves to work the arms, back and core even more. The abs work at the end of the boxing would make even Jillian Michaels jealous. It is very short but extremely effective, some traditional crunches are given a new twist. Works the transverse really well, along with the more superficial abdominal muscles.

Cardio - led by Jackie gets your heart pumping in interval style sets. The intervals are high intensity, although the sets in between are not necessarily low intensity. There is a bit of marching (or rather standing around in the case of Davina!) between each set. The last five minutes of the cardio (20 minutes in) repeat some of the moves done at the beginning, and there is a quite funny minute of freestyle at the end where you can dance, run, fling your arms around and do whatever you like. Moves integrate back kicks, squats and lunges to work the whole body. Some dancy moves too. Sometimes easier options aren't shown, but Davina fans will know how to do this from previous dvds.

Legs & Core - led by Mark with cardio intervals. Jackie shows the low intensity cardio for most but not all of the intervals. Extremely effective, no over the top repetition (Mark admits the 200 pliés in Davina fit was a bit too much and I can only agree). A mix of leg & bum work with core, you'll do a side lunge swinging your arms above your head & balancing on one leg as you come up. Some good plyometric moves, but without a lower intensity option, which could put a few beginners off (3 rep lunge then jump & change; ski squat jumping).

Arms - no intervals here, but some low intensity cardio is mixed into the arm moves (marching or stepping back). You'll find some of the old style moves at the beginning, with balance and core moves mixed in after this. Legs & bum are also worked in some squat moves. Mark leads us with HIS right, which is OUR left(again!) , but if you're used to this it's not a problem. Definitely gets you sweating.

Abs - pilates inspired and I loved it. Although I liked super sixpack from the Superbody workout, that was nothing compared to this. The moves are again designed to work all the core muscles and especialy the tranverse, and so flatten your tummy, rather than build bulk. This would be made even better if beginner advice was given - keep the legs higher off the ground rather than lowering them all the way down (for some pilates style moves), or perhaps tips for the more advanced (head & shoulders off the floor for the single straight leg stretch).

Stretch - the 1st five minutes is the usual standing stretches, followed by a deep yoga inspired stretch starting on the knees. No sun salutations or yoga breath here. Yoga fans will find crescent-moon pose, child pose, a warrior style pose, down dog & up dog as well as some twists. No yoga terminology used. It's just a really deep and effective all over body stretch and is particularly nice on the back. Beware Mark's right is our left! (could complicate the sitting twist at the end!)

Nutrition - extremely refreshing attitude from Davina, it's not about being skinny but about feeling good & being healthy, so different to many fitness dvds where the emphasis is mainly on fitting into a size 10 pair of jeans. Davina goes to visit Meg Mathews and shows you around her house (you'll either love or hate her style). Not sure whether Meg Mathews represents the typical working mother, there's definitely a lot of botox & lip work going on there, but her nutritionist looks healthy and beautiful, and not stick thin. The advice is DO NOT DIET, just eat healthily and don't skip meals. All foods are superfoods and you need a bit of everything in your diet. Very refreshing.

I was a bit disappointed at first that there was no matrix option to choose & play the routine you wanted, but find now that it's better like this - you come back to the workout menu after every workout and then choose what you want to do next. So instead of being over/under ambitious, you choose what you want to do next depending on how you're feeling AFTER each part. There is a mostly music option, so you don't have to listen to the chit chat.

The set worried me at first, with the light sabres and screens (similar to Power of three set). Yet the lighting is perfect and the set fits well with the selected (quite dancy) music. I wasn't too keen on some of the songs before, but found they worked extremely well with the workout and got you motivated. The theme song of the dvd is Taio Cruz Break your heart (Paul Thomas Remix), which is also used for the warm up. The other songs are:

Cardio:
- Sao Paulo, Morcheeba
- The Ballad of Paul & John, Torch Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Build your way to a better - and buff - body!, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
Davina, Jackie, Mark AND the skipping story are back!!

As great as Davina Fit was I, and some other reviewers, felt there just wasn't quite enough there for a top-notch workout.
Not so with Davina Body Buff. You really are spoiled for choice. If you want to do a whole hour of intense cardio you can do, want to do 40 mins of super toning? It's right there. Pushed for time? You can just do the warm-up and one shorter section. Basically, you can mix and match the five workout sections (plus warm up and cool down of course!!) however you like!! Genius!!

The product info give a good enough breakdown of the different sections so I won't repeat them here. But I will say that although this is the SIXTH Davina dvd (not counting the pregnancy one) there is still LOADS of new - and super fun - stuff in here. The Buff Legs and Core is an absolute killer with zillions of lunges but I can really feel the effect after just one go! And pretty much all of the exercises are great for your core which, for me, definitely beats having to do loads of crunches every day!

As always with Davina dvds there are options (with Jackie) to take the intensity down a level so if you are struggling you can switch intensity while you get your breath back...it's always nice to have the choice.

Some of the in jokes will perhaps go over the heads of those new to Davina fitness dvds but that's really just a great excuse to go out and buy all the others too :)

This is a great addition for anyone who is serious about getting and staying fit. Because of the great format beginners can build up slowly - while those more used to exercise can mix up several sections straight away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great workout from Davina and the guys, 7 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is a great addition to the collection of Davina workout DVD I own already. The DVDs she has done seem to be getting harder and harder and I love it!
The cardio part is really good and gets you puffed and there are some really good new moves in there too as well as a great little abs section at the end! The boxing section is really good for your core and requires quite a lot of balancing..but it gets easier with practice. The leg section is crueling as usual and I love the new arms section, there are no intervals in this arms section which i think is good! I think the abs section could have been longer along with the basic strech down section, I always feel i need more of a stretch so move on to the deeper stretch section.
Keep them coming Davina!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
It has long been tradition that I get a new Davina DVD every year for Christmas. Since graduating to Nell McAndrew, Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper etc in the last few years I generally tend to now think of Davina as the "I can't really be bothered to work out but I must do something so I'll do something easy like Davina" option. Please don't take this as a put down, Davina is the person responsible for me working out at all, but compared to Bob Harper's latest cardio DVD, she is, well, a lot easier.

Superbody surprised me by being just a little tougher than the usual offerrings, and now so has this. The cardio section had me gasping a few times, an it was GREAT! Even the boxing is no cake walk, and it is terrificly good for getting the frustarions of a bus journey to work and back out of my system. I hate finishing a dvd and feeling like I now have to go for a run because I haven't worked out yet. Hate it! If you work out, you have to sweat and at least feel tired enough to not be ready for a 10 mile run. This DVD delivers. You can make it quick, by just doing one section, a little longer, by combining 2 or 3 sections, or very long an kickass by going mad and doing everything! Up to you, based on the time available and also your fitness level.

The best thing about this is that you have a few workouts to mix up, so you won't get to the end of January and be bored with it, unlike some of the usual celeb discs that pop up this time of year. You also have options so you don't immediately fel put off by scart looking weights or multi limbed aerobics with freaky dance moves. Davina has also maintained a healthy, fit body for a few years now and she looks good consistently, so you know she's not just in it for a quick buck and some exposure only to gain it all back by June.

For anybody who want to make get fit in 2011 a resolution and MEAN it, get this. It's fun, it'll get you up and moving which is the hardest part, and next year this time you will want the new Davina for Christmas :)

5.0 out of 5 stars As fab as ever, 16 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
I waited impatiently for the arrival of my new Davina workout and I was not disappointed. Since I received it 10 days ago, I have done 4 workouts and have loved them all. I especially like the fact that I am forced into doing more than the 30 minute workout I was doing with Davina Fit.
I especially enjoyed the new arms, abs and core sections !! In fact, I have just finished them this minute! Off for a shower!

Big thanks to Jackie, Mark and Davina!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
To start with, I need to mention that i'm not actually overweight. I'm a healthy size 8 and ive never struggled to stay that way. I bought this DVD because I want to tone up, and it's brilliant! A lot of the other reviews focus on weight loss, but i'll focus on toning for those of you that are just looking to get fit.
The cardio workout (30 mins) works all your muscles for just the right amount of time. It's hard work but really fun to do, Davina always makes me laugh even after watching it over 10 times! The boxing is really fun too, I find it somewhat harder, especially on my shoulders, but over time as they get stronger it should be more manageable. After the 30 minute work out theres a 20 minute legs and core workout which is KILLER. Again, really fun, you can feel everything working. Next is the arms, I started on 1kg weights and although it was hard by the end, I wasn't achey afterwards so i've upped them to 1.5kg. Small I know, but that little bit extra makes a big difference, by the last set on the workout my arms feel like they're gonna drop off, but I can see it working now. So I do advise to up your weights just a little bit for that extra effect. Abs workout is faultless, 10 minutes of toning on the stomach, really good to do if you're rushed for time. I do all the workouts back to back 3 times a week (once you get going it goes pretty quick!) and I do the abs every day, with 100 squats daily as well.
I've been doing this for 3 weeks now and already notice a big difference. My bum is rounder and firmer, my legs feel stronger and my shoulders are definitely getting stronger.
I'd highly recommend doing either legs/arms or abs after your cardio or boxing, time flies and it really makes a difference doing it whilst your heart rate is still increased.
Great dvd, i'd recommend it to anyone. I've bought the 2012 ultimate target dvd because of the toning sections and have complete confidence that it'll be just as good.
Much better than going to the gym!
Oh, and eat healthier too ;) that helps! everything in moderation. I still eat cake and chocolate, but I limit how often I have it. The first few days are the toughest. after that it just becomes habit :)
good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant work out DVD, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
As with all of her DVD's, this workout really will make you fitter as long as you are consistent with doing it.

It is split into five sections two main workouts and three targeted areas:

(i) cardio of about 25 mins which is absolutely exhausting but Davina, Jackie and Mark make it bearable. Some of the exercises are similar to the other DVDs but, they've kept it fresh with new combinations and making you work harder. It is high energy interval training, with the intervals much closer together than in the other workout DVDs and the exercises inbetween more challenging. Just when you think you can't go anymore, there is five minutes of abs tacked on at the end - you'll be grateful for being able to lie down!

(ii) Boxing - another exhausting workout (but I find it less so than the cardio) with lots ot punches and squats and it's quite fun too. Again, five mins of abs at the end.

(iii) 15 -20 mins legs workout
(iv) 15-20 mins arms
(v) 15-20mins extra abs. This is split into about 10 mins of "easier" exercises and ten mins of a more intense blast if you want to do it.

I find it really useful splitting these last three sections up - so you can choose which extra bit you want to target, mix n match and keep the workout dvd interesting.

The dvd finished with a cool down section. I really like how they've split the cool down as well - with a five min basic stretch and cool down which is good enough if that's all you want to do, or there is the option of continuing for an extra ten mins to do a kind of yoga-style stretch. This section feels like an added bonus.

Davina's DVDs are all brilliant and I almost have the entire collection. Sticking to the workouts three to four times a week has made a big difference to me - I've lost a stone and a half over one year. Which may sound like a long time, but I wasn't that big to start with (10.5 stone) and I feel like losing just a couple of lbs a month is a really healthy way to lose weight for me.

Like in the other DVDs, Davina, Jackie and Mark are all encouraging and sympathetic at the same time. My only criticism is they don't remind you often enough to drink water and I find it is hard to find space to do so without interupting the workout - it would be good if it had been worked into the routine e.g. marching for 10 secs whilst taking a swig.

There is one extra on the dvd - Davina meets Meg Matthews. This seemed like a bit of a strange encounter but the conversation they had with the nutritionist is useful.

DVD HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great exercise DVD for someone with loads!, 26 May 2011
Mr. M. Cooper (Witney, Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD on the recommendation from my sister. I am a mum of 2 young children (4 and 2) and find it very difficult fitting in worthwhile exercise around school/nursery and the day to day life of being a mum. By the time it's their bedtime I'm too tired to think of exercise. As every mum out there knows, having babies leaves you with unwanted saggy skin and problem areas. For me this is my thighs and the saggy skin on my belly. According to Wii fit, I am underweight for my height but I am seriously unfit and am desperate to tone my abs and legs. My sister is single and a gym bunny but as a nurse doesn't always find the time for the gym so she bought this to fit in around her shifts. She is fit but after 30mins of the cardio routine she was sweating and gasping for breath so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

What can I say! It's fab. I've decided to start with 2 routines a week and it's great that you can pick separate sections depending on how pushed for time you are. I haven't always got the time or the energy for a full 30 min cardio routine but as there are separate abs and legs sections that aren't as long I can just do one of those but still feel the effects afterwards. And boy can you feel the effects. After just 2 weeks of doing this DVD - so only 4 sessions where I have done 2 x warm up, cardio and abs section and then 2 x warm up, boxing and legs/core, I can already see some definition in my abs and they are rock solid. OK, my skin is still saggy and a bit flabby but there is definately something happening. My legs ache for days afterwards but as yet I haven't noticed any toning but I am sure that will happen if I keep it up. So far I am motivated to keep going especially as I know I could just pop the DVD in for 30 mins and still benefit and the defined abs are definately a good motivator! Never thought I'd see them again after 2 children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to a new year, 6 Jan. 2011
Miss M. Dornan (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
I have never owned any fitness DVDs before.
My old flatmate used to always do Davina workouts and always had positive things to say. I joined a slimming club just before christmas and have managed to lose 11lbs so far. After NY I seen an add for this new DVD and though I'd give it a go as i really like and have always been a fan of Davina in anything else I've seen her in.

So far I am very pleased. I received it yesterday and last night when I got home from work I did the warm-up, cardio and stretch sections.

Although I haven't done all sections of the DVD yet I already know that this is probably the best purchase I've made in a long time.

I've haven't done regular exercise for years. I've had the odd trip to classes at local gyms and attempts to stick with all the machines. However, I've never felt comfortable at classes with lots of people or using all the equipment.

I already can't wait to do all the other sections - and I'm even looking forward to doing a full on session on saturday morning (if I can manage it all!)

The steps are easy to follow. However, on my first go i would miss the first repetition cos I'd have to watch what they're doing before i try to join in.

I guess they hark back to previous DVDs when naming the moves coming up, but as I've never owned any of the DVDs before I had no idea what "spotty dog" or "box jumps" were. But it was very easy to catch on after watching them do it just once - then I could join in.

I like that I could either follow Davina and Mark for the higher intensity stuff or follow Jackie for a lower impact version. I found myself doing a mixture of both - I found some of the moves a ,ot easier than others. Or I would start by following Davina, then when I got too wobbly or our of breath and would take it down a notch to follow Jackie.

I really liked the rapport between Davina, Jackie and Mark. It's funnt and i did laugh out loud a few times at Davina (and Mark hoping off screen!). It's nice to know that Davina gets the burn at the same point or feels the pull in the same places as me (maybe she doesn't cos she's so much fitter than me...but I guess that's what makes her a great presenter on these - she knows her audience.)

Well... for not even having done the full DVD yet, I have waffled quite a lot.

But really, to anyone who had never bought a fitness DVD before I think this is a great place to start. you don't need much room - I am 5'11 so usually need a lot of space - but I am able to do this in my average size bedroom with no bother.

Thanks Davina and the team!

You've now found a new convert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Buff by far the best!, 4 Jan. 2011
Ms. L. Fayemi (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
I was introduced to Davina last Christmas and since then I now own all her dvds except for the pregnancy ones. (which I full intend to rectify when I am pregnant!)

Firstly I really like the idea of a digital copy and I have downloaded it onto my laptop and my ipod which essentially means I can do it anywhere now!!

I would say without hesitation that this dvd is my favourite of hers. Now I must admit I am only basing this on what I have done so far which is cardio, boxing, abs and the short and longer stretching. But I have faith that the rest of the sections will be equally brilliant.

Now I love Davina dvds I love the length and the intensity of variety of the different dvds. But this one has really stepped it up a level. The cardio is just what I have been looking for in a dvd it's high intensity, fun and introduces some moves not seen on previous Davina dvds plus the length is just right. Like her other dvds it is a interval based workout but unlike her other dvds there doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between the intervals apart from when they say it. It all felt like high impact to me but was still great! It ends with freestyle which is fun and then abs and the choice of a shorter or longer stretch depending on what you feel like. I got the dvd on christmas eve and have done it twice since then and prefer to do the longer stretch as it goes that bit deeper but the short one is good too if your pushed for time.

The boxing is good too and whilst it doesn't feel as energetic as perhaps the cardio the foucs is alot on the core and this is the case too when it comes to the floorwork. And boy can you feel it working. It seems to be pilates inspired which I really do feel will strenghten my core and flatten my abs!

I look forward to trying the arms and leg workouts and once I have will update you all!

Davina - Body Buff [DVD]
Davina - Body Buff [DVD] by Davina McCall (DVD - 2010)