5.0 out of 5 stars Philips H7 X-treme Vision +100%
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Matt B

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light
These are brighter than the original lights I had, though probably not 100% as says on the tin.

Recommended but not with high honours...
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by J. Sanz

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips H7 X-treme Vision +100%, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Philips 12972-XVS2 H7 X-Treme Vision 100% Kit (2 Bulbs) (Automotive)
I contemplated upgrading to HID lights on my 2008 Passat CC after having made the decision to buy a car without Xenon lights, having the luxury of Xenon for the previous 3 years. Stupid idea! Going back to basic halogen lights was a mistake with the amount of night driving I do. I read both good and bad reports about HID but I couldn't find a reliable provider at a realistic price. I opted for the Philip X-treme Vision H7 as a halfway house. They are clearly no comparison to full Xenon, don't get me wrong. However, they are a great compromise as they do live up to their name, almost! The increase in brightness is huge, around 80% if I'm honest. The biggest benefit is the whiteness of the light compared to the dull yellowish glow of standard bulbs which make driving at night so much more pleasant. Distance visibility is increased but not to the extent quoted - I'd say 60%. I would recommend these bulbs to others and I will also purchase another set myself for full beams, for those nervous drives down country roads.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best legal headlamp bulbs I have ever used, 8 Jun 2011
Mr. JD Brown "Mr JD Brown" (Midlands) - See all my reviews
I have been in the motor trade for 25 years and I have witnessed the development of headlamp bulbs throughout those years. I recently got my wife a newish BMW 320d without HID headlamps, thinking that the normal Halogen couldn't be that bad, well the first time my wife drove it at night, I needn't say anymore. I immediately considered an HID conversion, but as it was for the wife's car thought that keeping it legal would be the safer option. I looked for a legal upgrade and eventually after reading several reviews and forums decided on these, and I all I am going to say is 'why don't BMW fit them as standard', if they continue to make HID an optional extra.
It is scientifically impossible for replacement bulbs to actually significantly increase the length of beam from a headlamp as the reflector and lens control that, but they can increase the brightness/whiteness of light produced enabling the beam to be adjusted (within legal limits) to achieve the maximum visible beam pattern and these bulbs certainly do that.
I have just fitted some to my Mk 6 Fiesta and they have really improved those as well. (Please note that the fitment of bulb may not be the same for a BMW and a Fiesta, I meant that I had fitted this make of bulb to my Fiesta as well.)
If you have candles and want to stay legal, give these ago, they do not perform miracles, but you will not want to go back to standard Halogen bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inceased night vision, 9 Feb 2011
I have used other increased night vision bulbs previously but only a marginal increase, these Extreme vision made a good difference on my Volvo XC, also bought a set for the Mini, where I did notice the difference at least 80 - 100% improvement well worth the extra few .

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light, 27 Sep 2011

Recommended but not with high honours...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, noticeable difference., 26 Jan 2014
I clearly noticed the difference using these bulbs compared to standard ones. For the price I think they are well worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short lifespan - no where near 100% improvement, 18 May 2014
Bought my car brand new only 2 years ago, had 1 factory fit bulb blow after about 1.8 years.

Decided I'd like to be able to see a little further ahead as I drive to and from work in pitch black, for half the year, down fast country lanes.

When I put these in I changed both so didn't have a direct comparison with my previous factory fit bulbs.

The first one blew after approximately 2 months in the car, I estimate it probably got about 100 hours burn time, nowhere near the B3/Tc value Phillips claim of 200/400 hours.

For those that don't know car headlight bulb lifetime is measured as such. 97% of the bulbs should last till the B3 value, by the time we've reached the Tc value, 63% should have failed.

At this point I put in a generic brand I picked up from a Shell garage, as I had a long drive ahead and can't abide not having both headlights working. It was here that I noticed that whilst the remaining X-Treme Vision bulb was brighter, it didn't actually light up much further ahead on the road than the generic bulb, I'd estimate maybe 10%.

When the first one went I thought it was just bad luck, bulbs blow, it's not an exact science calculating when they will, but then about a month later the 2nd one also went, again, still nowhere near the B3 value. Looking through some of the reviews here, failing within a few months seems normal for these bulbs, though obviously it's difficult to judge how close many are to Philips' B3 value as people are judging them based on how long they've been in the car rather than how many hours they have been lit for.

Looking to the future I may try another brand of longer distance bulb assuming I can find a pair either cheap enough or with a long enough B3/Tc value to be affordable. If I can't find anything like this then a long life bulb may just have to do. Incidentally Philips' LongLife's have a B3/Tc value of 1000/1500 hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars X-tremely mediocre, 2 April 2013
Poor lighting, light seems to be concentrated in three beams.

Dissapointed as I drive at night often and was looking for a good clear light to give me the best view of the road.

Not a patch on the Bosch bulbs that they have replaced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 4 months, 5 Feb 2014
Bought in September 2013, first bulb failed in January 2014. Also not noticeably brighter or whiter than the cheap bulbs they replaced. Won't be buying these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant white, 21 Dec 2013
Super bit of kit. Illuminate everything, makes night driving a pleasure. Would definitely recommend over the OE bulbs. Top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, 15 Feb 2013
R. M. Day (England) - See all my reviews
Excellent bulbs - very white for a "normal" bulb with a good, consistent beam; considerably less expensive than some alternatives that might sometimes be marginally better. Reasonable lifetime - somewhere between 1 & 2 years for me. As with any bulb, always make sure you don't touch the glass at any time when fitting them!