4.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good
The last B&S album I listened to properly and repeatedly was 'Fold your arms' and I didn't get it. It was too patchy. Prior to this 'If you're feeling sinister' and 'Arab strap' were the most played records of their respective year's in our house.
Published on 27 Nov 2010 by D. R. Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but...
they set the bar mighty high, and Write About Love comes nowhere near reaching the heady heights of either of the their last 2 albums, and those are not even their best.

Write About Love is a perfectly enjoyable, completely worthy Belle and Sebastian album.

First, the stand outs:
I want the world to Stop / I didn't see it coming / The ghost of...
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by J. Nottingham

4.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
However, my wife bought this a few weeks ago and whilst it, too, is patchy, the good bits are UNBELIEVABLY good. There are some really uplifting 'stompers', not dissimilar to 'dirty dream'. Surely this contains two or three of the best pop songs of the last 5 years? Tracks 2, 4 and 6 would make it onto a 'B&S best of' mix tape in this house, even including the early singles. I think I still prefer the slightly more depressing early stuff, but compared to most of the flotsam out there at the minute; this is really rather good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to old friends, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
This is a good B and S album. Okay, it is not "Sinister" (but let's be honest, hoping that B and S are going to return to the sound of that fragile masterpiece is a bit like wishing that Neil Hannon will remake "Promenade" - it's not going to happen, nor should it) but it is certainly an excellent piece of work.

After a few seconds of random noise, "I didn't see it coming" begins and it is a little like opening the front door to an excellent friend that you haven't seen in a while. It is classic B and S and brings a smile to my face.

Elsewhere, the album is strong - "I want the world to stop" is a highlight - although hearing Norah Jones sing lines about "the milkman" is a little too odd for my tastes.

Perhaps they won't win any new fans with this record and perhaps they don't care, but I am really enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly beautiful album, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
After the Bowlie board was dissolved, I checked in with the Anorak forum to see how long standing fans of B&S rated this LP. As usual much was made of this not being vintage B&S, but I don't want a rehash of their 1990's style.

This is my go-to B&S record at the moment, Sarah's singing fits beautifully with Stuart's and the complexity of the music is quite stunning. Of the tracks the only one I skip at times features Norah Jones (something doesn't quite work on this collaboration).

If you don't shuffle your shoulders along with I Want the World to Stop and its' major bassline, then you'd better check your pulse.

5.0 out of 5 stars impressed, relieved, delighted, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
Impressed, relieved, delighted and absolutely needing to write about this (after my first listen). There is a great deal to love here; loadsa fabulous and inventive song structures & styles pinging back through the 60's - 80's (thinking Captain Scarlet theme tune; The Zombies "She's not there"; XTC and Dukes of the Stratosphear - all wonderful) but with plenty of beef to balance it and, of course, pin-sharp lyrics from the undisputed champ of the quirky/innocent point of view. Do agree with other reviewers that its the keyboard choice & sound, but also mint condition musicianship, that makes this a stand-out CD at this point in time. Comparison with past B&S albums is superfluous as that's like comparing your 41 year old (ahem) self to your distant teenage self - it's still you - and even so, like Black Box Recorder said previously: "a heartfelt seduction lasts a lifetime".....

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but..., 11 Oct 2010
J. Nottingham (UK) - See all my reviews

First, the stand outs:
I want the world to Stop / I didn't see it coming / The ghost of rockschool - these three songs alone are worth the price of this album, they do exactly what B&S do best, while seemingly effortlessly adding that special something - A sound that goes beyond just a great tune and a well written song - these songs are the 'event' songs B&S fans have been waiting for since The Life Pursuit, and they are easily the equal of stand out tracks like Another Sunny Day and Act of the Apostle from that record.

Just below the stand outs we have I'm not 'living in the real world', and the lead off single title track - and if all the rest of the tracks on the album could come up to the standard of those 2 tracks then Write About Love would jostle for the position of best ever B&S album.

So where does it go wrong? Unfortunately, the rest of the tracks, while enjoyable, are forgettable, with the exception of Norah Jones duet 'Little Lou...', which is memorable for the wrong reason - namely that Norah Jones sounds so completely out of place here, that the album suffers from the feeling that we have to stop all proceedings to politely pay homage to her voice. Any B&S fan surely thinks at this point: 'wouldn't Sarah Martin make this song so much better?', especially considering that her duets with Stuart Murdoch on the aforementioned standouts are a large part of what makes those tracks so memorable.

I haven't yet heard the 3 bonus tracks across the formats - often B&S save some of their strongest tracks for B Sides. With the death of the Bside since they last released an album, my hope is that these bonus tracks reveal themselves as a saviour for the Wrote About Love era. With Dear Catastrophe Waitress we got Your Cover's Blown as an extra track from those sessions, and The Life Pursuit era gave us the amazing Heaven in the afternoon, Meat and Potatoes, The Life Pursuit, Long Black Scarf... all these in addition to albums on which it's hard to find a forgettable track.

That's why, after a four year hiatus, I have to be slightly disappointed with the Write About Love era so far. Here's hoping those bonus tracks are as wonderful as 'I Want The World To Stop', and here's also hoping for an EP follow up of other leftover tracks in the near future.

Stuart Murdoch remains the best British songwriter around today, with the greatest band behind him - as I said before, they set the bar so so high... and Write About Love would be a five star album from any other band - but these three stars reflect its place in the Belle and Sebastian back catalogue to date.... (it's still a hundred times better than God Help The Girl!)

4.0 out of 5 stars very good album, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
Finally B&S releases a new album. I'm very happy about it. As someone wrote here, it's like opening the door to an old friend. That's exactly how this album feels to me.

While BBC reviewer here can't spell the name of indie darling CaRey Mulligan correctly, he seems to over praise Norah Jones's questionable illuminating honeyed voice qualities. Her presence in this album is simply odd.

Is it just me or anyone else here has goosepimples when Sarah Martin tells us what she sees in "I can see your future"?

This album is really good! Anyone who buys it won't regret. All you have to do is set the player to skip track 05

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since Catastrophe, 10 Nov 2010
Simon Crutchley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
This record has hardly been off my player since I bought it, and the same goes for my mates. Strange then that some have rated it only three stars. That's what you get for not being predictable, I suppose. If you like Snow Patrol, Interpol or Razorlight you probably won't appreciate this - it's much richer, more complex music, but sounding fresher and less in your face than most of what's around at the moment.

I saw them at Santander mid 2009, with the Dandy Warhols, one of their first gigs for years. The Dandys were my main reason to be there and I walked out on them with about half the audience. B&S stole the festival, the enthusiastic crowd singing along (in heavy Spanish accents...) but what impressed was they worked as a band, swapping instruments (at least three of them played bass, but Mick was best) and voices (Stuart taking a backseat), and added horns and strings themselves instead of using session players - it's this rich mix that makes the album work.

The single 'I want the world to stop' is an out and out winner, made by its bassline - it shares a lot with Hard-Fi's 'Wound up too tight' in construction with a high jangly guitar over a subtle driving bass. The much derided Norah Jones duet is also a high point, and if she dominates proceedings that's all well and good - Belle and Sebastian have always been a band pulling in lots of directions at once, and never afraid to get pulled out of their regular groove.

The keyboards make this album though - the first real B&S album that's keyboard led, with a retro organ and Wurlitzer piano sound complimented with some atmospheric 80s synth sounds. And there are some big 'orchestral' arrangements, that complement but never dominate the songs. The usual range of bookish angst illuminates the lyrics, as well as a sense of belonging in that 'grey adorable city by the docks'.

In short, this is my favourite of all the albums, just a bit ahead of Catastrophe Waitress.

5.0 out of 5 stars super fast! great conditions! beautiful music! great deal!, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
The order arrived in just a few days. The price was just fine. The package was good! The music is wonderful! The provided a great deal! congratulations!

3.0 out of 5 stars Belle and Sebastian - Play it safe, 11 Oct 2010
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
Come on what were you were you expecting, Belle and Sebastian sing death metal? This new album by B & S "Write about love" is largely about continuity despite a four year absence since 2006's "The Life Pursuit" and of course is full of charming, quirky and wryly observed indie pop songs with what John Peel used to describe as dangerous hints of melody. A friend once asked me to burn a "Best of" compilation of Belle and Sebastian songs, and sadly she is still waiting for it. The trouble of course is that the songs of this wonderful Scottish band more than just soundtrack your life they sometimes define it. Thus picking out favourites involves all kinds of agonies. "Expectations" and "We rule the school" from their debut Tiger Milk defines the period of formal education for many people. "Step into my office baby" is a salutary warning to every person embarking on a office fling while the whole of the wonderful "If your feeling sinister" is an album which has sound tracked more than its fair share of bedsit angst and broken romance.

"Write about love" continues many of these themes and is a very nice and pleasant album which could be its problem. In one sense its Belle and Sebastian "go mainstream" without the extremes of terrible frustrated heartache, minus the outright wistful melancholy and with lyrics not quite as witty and clever as they once were. They still produce great titles and in "Calculating bimbo" they have a song which is probably closet to their roots with the trademark Murdoch and Martin vocal interplay. Similarly there are excellent pop songs like the lovely five minute plus "Didn't see it coming" sung by Sarah Martin while actress Carey Mulligan star of the excellent British film "An Education", guests on the sunshine filled title track, an almost a Motown sounding pure pop gem which will need a priest to exorcise the melody from your brain. Finally in the "The Ghost of Rockschool" they have produced a song which stands up to some of their best.

A further big name guest namely Norah Jones can be found on a duet with Stuart Murdoch entitled "Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John". Ms Jones demonstrates her usual smokey trademark vocals but frankly the song would have struggled to get on "Come away with me". Ironically "Sunday's pretty icons" does sound like a Sundays song and ambles along nicely while "I want the world to stop" reminds your reviewer of one of those ever present Frou Frou songs that seem to comprise the bedrock of the OC soundtrack. There is of course nothing wrong with good pop songs but this is the band that wrote "Stars of Track and Field", "Like Dylan in the movies" and "The state I'm in" and you just want them to be on par with that level of exquisite songcraft whose strength was often the ability to unsettle as opposed to merely charm. Anyone new to B & S will probably love this set of warm harmony filled pop and undoubtedly it will grow over time. Consequently while "Write about love" is no classic its great to have them back.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 11 Oct 2010
Mr. M. J. Mccleary "Martin James" (Berwick, Northumberland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Write About Love (Audio CD)
I pre ordered this album and it arrived today. Normally I need a few listens to get into a new B&S record but "Write About Love" immediately moved me to write a review. The reviews in the music press have been mixed - lazy journalists labelling the band twee and I approached the record with trepidation as I really wanted it to be amazing. It has been a long four years since "Life Pursuit" (another album that had mixed reviews but I loved) - and I couldn't wait to hear this.

I wasn't disappointed; "Write About Love" is everything I dreamed it would be. Murdoch's voice is in fine form and this record encapsulates everything I love about B&S.
Opener, "I Didn't See It coming" has been previewed on their site and is the best B&S album opener since "Stars Of Track & Field" - Sarah Martin showing how talented a songwriter she is. Swirling Hammond keyboard and Murdoch's refrain of "Take me on a train, cause I'm not flying" heighten the atmosphere of this already firm live favourite.

"Calculating Bimbo" is glorious, none more so than when Murdoch and Martin sing with a minimal musical accompaniment at the songs climax. "I pause for an effect, You calculating bimbo I wish you'd let the past go"
"I Want The World To Stop" has also been aired on the B&S site and has a wonderful string arrangement. An absolute belter of a song. "Little Lou..." features Norah Jones but she does sound a little out of place on the song, I would love to hear them do it with Sarah. Nonetheless it is a beautiful sentimental track but perhaps the weakest on show.

The title track is straight out of the 60's and features Carrie Mulligan. The call and response of the track works well and is sure to be a mainstay in their live set for years to come. "I'm Not Living In The Real World" is a Stevie Jackson penned classic, like a cross between the Beach Boys and The Monkees it is probably the most upbeat song the band have ever recorded. The lyrics on this song are awesome, detailing Jackson's life from youth through to adulthood "A Pint of Special Brew, won't do that again".

"Ghost Of Rockschool" seems to be picking up the most favourable comments in the press and rightly so. Stuart Murdoch gives the track an almost gospel feel towards the end and it truly gave me goose bumps I have had this song on repeat most of today and can't wait to hear it live. "Read The Blessed Pages" may or may not be an ode to Isobel Campbell and is certainly more loving than the last one Stuart wrote about her (Waking Up To Us was rumoured to be). He muses "Love and pain and sorrow, Keep the band together, She was like my soul mate, Whispered in my ear, Love was playing music It was all we wanted, Making plastic records of our history." It is a gorgeous song with a simple acoustic backing.

The closing two numbers keep the standard up. "I Can See Your Future" is another Martin penned belter with trumpets. I love Sarah's voice and she has really come in to her own with her contributions on this record. "Sunday's Pretty Icons" wraps things up and Murdoch and Martin's vocals pair up again. Murdoch sings in a quite low key which gives the track an interesting feel.

I have enjoyed every B&S album thus far but they have all, in my opinion contained some filler, this record is very strong on every track and is a great progression for a band who refuse to conform to what people expect. There will be some crying out for another "Sinister" but there should be more who think themselves lucky that we still have a band as good as Belle and Sebastian capable of producing fresh new music like this.

Write About Love