5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer
I bought this printer after carefully looking at reviews for similar laser printers. For a network ready printer with a print speed of over 20 pages per minute and with an auto duplexer, there was nothing else that came close in the price range.

Published on 22 Feb 2012 by Will

3.0 out of 5 stars The main problem is the Toner Cardridge supplied
This gets 3 stars because Brother is at it again and the Toner Cartridge starts at 360 copies giving a warning every time you print and trying to force you to buy a new Toner Cartridge. A Cartridge should last as a minimum for at least 2000 copies not have a Brother game start to force you to buy more cartridges.
The machine needs you to set it up for duplex and that...
Published 8 months ago by Dave1948

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Brother HL-2250DN Compact Network Mono Laser Printer with Auto Duplex (Personal Computers)

Installation of the printer was very simple. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem setting it up on the network. In fact it was as simple as connecting the network cable to my router and installing the driver software on my laptop. The software proceeded to find the printer, and a few minutes later I was printing fine. I have added the printer on two Windows 7 laptops and a Windows XP PC, and all are able to print over the network with no problems. There are also Linux and Mac drivers on the Brother website, although I have not tried these. Just to be very clear, this printer only supports wired networks as it does not have built in wifi. However you could, for instance, connect it to a powerline network using the appropriate powerline product.

As others have noted, the printer is fairly noisy when printing, although not particularly louder than other laser printers I have used, and certainly not something that I find to be a problem. When printing, the printer uses up to around 500W of power, but after a few minutes it goes to sleep. In sleep mode, it uses less than 1W of power (0.6W according to my power meter) and is completely silent. As soon as someone prints over the network, it automatically wakes up from sleep mode and begins printing.

The "starter" toner cartridge that the printer is supplied with has enough toner for 700 sheets according to the manual (I can't verify this as mine hasn't run out yet). There are two replacement cartridges available - TN 2210 has enough toner for 1,200 sheets and TN 2220 has enough for 2,600 sheets. The latter high yield cartridge is available online for around 50, so cartridges are not the cheapest of any laser printer, but also far from the most expensive. There is a separate drum which apparently has to be changed after around 12,000 pages and costs about 60 online. As with nearly all printers, it is not supplied with a cable, so you will need to buy either a USB or LAN cable, depending on how you intend to use it.

Finally, it's worth noting that at the time of writing there is a free three year warranty promotion on Brother's website, which is valid until the end of March 2012. It is worth checking the latest promotions on the Brother website to see what promotions are available and to obtain the promotion code you will need when registering the product.

All in all, I am very happy with this printer, which was a bargain for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother make good printers!, 4 Feb 2012
I've had this printer for over a year now after having had Brother lasers before which have lasted for years.

For one thing, I like that Brother consumables are fairly cheap compared to other printer makes - this is because you don't have to buy a whole drum and toner unit every time, as with most HPs I've used, but you just have to replace the toner cartridge, and a new drum much less frequently. I have also used compatible toner and the brand I used works well too.

The printer software is also great - many options for duplex (which works very well), or printing 2 (or more) pages to a single sheet of paper etc.

I've been so impressed with this printer (and Brother over the years), that I also bought this printer for a friend, replacing their Canon inkjet, and they love it too, especially the duplex, the printing two sheets to one sheet (for booklets) and also the speed.

Another great Brother printer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly impressed, 12 July 2012
I spent a lot of time searching for a reasonably priced duplex laser printer for my small business and came across this - It's a neat and unobtrusive unit which fits well in my small office. Connectivity and setup on my network was a very easy process and My Mac Pro installed all necessary drivers on the fly.

Overall, I would highly recommend this printer, it's an absolute bargain at this price!

Pros -
Easy Setup Mac & PC
Neat and Unobtrusive
Duplex, Ethernet & USB

Cons -
Curls 80g paper a little
Quite Noisy (even for a for a short while after a print run)
Half toner cartridge supplied

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 31 Mar 2011
Gary J. Walker "gjw1992" (Milton Keynes, Bucks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Good quality, ethernet connection and duplex for a decent price. Didn't have any problem installing it - the PC discovered it over the network. And another PC connected directly to usb2 was no problem either.

I suspect any problem might be more of a dhcp issue than a printer problem. The printer isn't silent in use, but if when it's not been used for a few minutes it drops into sleep so no continual 'noise'.

Well pleased. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best printer I have ever bought!, 19 Aug 2011
Connectivity is easy and fast. Printing is also fast when working over the LAN connection or the USB connection. Ideal printer for a home with many computers that do lots of printing and you don't want the fuss or messing about connecting USB cables all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for home/small office use., 3 May 2012
Donal O'Dwyer - See all my reviews
I've owned this printer for a few weeks now so I think it's about time I did a review.

Firstly I'm going to tackle the biggest negative people seem to have with this printer - the noise it makes during printing. Honestly it's not that loud. It's about as loud as any printer I've ever used. It's definitely not whisper quiet, but it's not ear-shatteringly loud either. There is an extra set of cogs and gears on this model because of the duplexer, and maybe that's why others are complaining about the noise but take it from me, as printers go it's fine.

For what this printer does it's an absolute bargain. I use it solely over a wired network connection. (There is also a USB option which I haven't used - but no wireless. This model is available with wireless if you're looking for it - just replace the 'N' at the end with a 'W' and do a search.) I'm not a technophobe, but nor am I a networking guru. I plugged it into my router and ran the supplied installation software of every computer I wanted to print from. From thereon in it just worked. I've printer a few hundred pages hassle free. I usually hate software supplied with printers because it always tries to install much more junk that you don't need and pop up with reminders to only buy ink/toner from the manufacturer. While this is also present on the Brother CD supplied with this printer, it's not mandatory to install it. In actual fact it's very easy to just install the drivers, something I was impressed with. It easily installed the drivers for 64-bit Windows 7 machines all the way down to 32-bit XP machines. Apparently Linux drivers are available too.

The key feature I bought this for was the duplexer. So far duplex printing has been flawless - if not a bit slow. Printing speed are very good when printing one-sided (the pages just flow out of the printer), the duplexer requires one side to be printed and then the page to be sucked back in, flipped over and printed on again. Most of the bigger industrial printers you might have seen effectively have two printers inside them so both sides of the page are printer on simultaneously. This is a small printer and doesn't do that. Personally I don't mind if 2-sided printing is a bit slow as long as it works well, which it seems to. It's incredibly handy and saves loads of paper.

Another feature that is worth mentioning is the web-interface. This printer has a HTTP interface meaning you can connect to the printer via your browser. (When you connect the printer to your router it requests an IP address of 192.168.0.2 OR 192.168.1.2 depending on your router. If you're trying to connect to the printer web interface try typing these addresses into your address bar first. If these addresses were unavailable your router may assign it a different address.) This web interface shows you the current printer status and if you're the printer admin there are lots of useful options (you can force duplex printing, include a watermark automatically, or not print any blank pages which are sent to the printer) which are all really useful options.

This printer comes with some toner (I've printer a few hundred pages and not come close to running out yet) but no interface leads - just the power cable. Overall though, if you're looking for a compact b&w printer for home or home office I would thoroughly recommend this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The main problem is the Toner Cardridge supplied, 7 Jan 2014
The machine needs you to set it up for duplex and that also includes all programs which print onto it. It's default is mono which wastes paper and you end up in the end having to check every print program to stop it sending mono.
I consider Brother Printers to be very good and reliable, I just get sick of their antics at trying to force people to buy cartridges.
The Printer is good but let down by Brother's Cartridge antics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to refill with no gear or chips, acceptable quality., 17 July 2013
Acceptable quality mono print, ethernet connection and a duplexer. This printer has an interesting party trick - you can go into the HTML interface by typing the printer's IP address into a browser address bar and there's a setting to instruct the printer to keep printing regardless of the toner level. This means you can refill the toner cartridge for 13 a bottle and just slot it back in and on it goes. No fiddling with gears or replacing chips etc. I get less than half a penny per sheet cost and I've been doing this for two years with the same cartridge - so far 15000 sheets. Only thing I'd change is better linux driver support. It's a pain installing it on 64bit linux systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but had issues..., 21 July 2014
This is a good printer, and I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Unfortunately, it has some issues regarding errors, and it took me forever to figure out that I had a paper jam in the duplex unit, and how to fix it. I had to head to the internet to get a solution for that - even though once I figured it out, I did facepalm! However, it does seem that this is a common problem.

I have had another issue, however, and this is that I had to reset the toner indicator following replacing the toner, because the printer refused to register that I had replaced the toner. Another trip to the internet resolved this for me, and the soltuon is below for those who have the same issue.

This is a good printer, but hardly intuitive for the novice who hasn't had experience with laser printers before. The toner replacement issue is annoying, and the fact that there is a FAQ on the internet implies that is a common issue. the same goes for the paper jam in the duplex unit. As such, I cannot rate it at 5 stars, even though the quality of the printer itself is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 19 Jun 2014
UK Customer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The reason to choose this Brother is that third party toner cartridges are available. This makes the cost per page much cheaper than other alternatives.
It prints like any other office monochrome network laser printer- no better or worse (think HP Laserjet).The duplex (double sided printing) feature is a welcome bonus at this price. It is well suited to a home office.You just plug it into your router and install some drivers on the client PCs.
This 2250DN has to be physically connected to your router (or you could probably connect it with some powerline adapters), but you can still print to it from PCs that are on your wireless network.
After 9 months of fairly light use, there have been no problems at all. The original cartridge lasted only 400 pages before claiming to be empty. A change of software settings caused it to carry on printing for another 500 pages until it was really empty. The replacement cartridge from Cyber Direct installed without issues and is currently working fine.