on 4 December 2011
I didn't expect it to come with ink cartridges, so finding one tri-colour and one black cartridge as I unpacked the box was a nice surprise. The printer is lightweight and mightn't feel sturdy to some standards, plus it's rather noisy in my opinion, but for my university student needs (printing around 50 pages a week) it works fine. There's a handy function to check how much ink is left and I recommend getting the 301XL each time to make that extra little saving in the long run, especially as I feel this printer will last me a while.

The set up was easy, but finding out midway that a USB cable was not supplied (and the instructions sounded as if you would find one in the box) annoyed me very much. There was no mention of needing to buy the cable separately, so take note.
66 comments|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2011
Bought this for my daughter at University as her last printer (my old one) finally collapsed under the strain of University life. I already have a Deskjet 3050 all-in-one which is superb value for money and additionally HP provide Linux drivers (which I use) so stayed with the brand.
Printer arrived on time and was easy to set up (on my daughter's Windows Vista laptop). It's black shiny plastic so not rock-solid but for the price it seems good value. She has been using it for about 4 weeks now and it chugs along nicely.
This is a good bargain printer for a student - does what it's supposed to do in a reasonable time. Haven't printed photos but colours are good in documents and I can't tell the difference between documents printed on my 3050 and this one.
It's footprint is relatively small (important for a student's bedsit) and has two cartridges (Black and tri-colour). Currently the cartridges (HP) can be got from Amazon for around £9 (black) and £10 (colour) but I've noticed that compatible cartridges are just starting to appear on the market for half that price.
If you want a basic printer that's good value then this one will not disappoint.
0Comment|360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2011
I Purchased this printer for my daughter who does a lot of crafting etc... And when it arrived it did seem a little bit plastic but as they say never judge a book by its cover . Its been brilliant she loves it and uses it daily and the ink she got with it is still going and the quality of prints are great aswell . I would say to anyone if your looking for printer this is the one to go for.It also isnt a huge printer which was great for her too as she keeps it on her desk with laptop plugged into it.
0Comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2011
I bought this because it was very cheap and could be used as a reserve printer. It installed easily with good visual instructions and the test print was quick, quiet and looked really good on fast draft mode. I have only done B&W so far.

It even comes with a carry bag with handles to cart it about!

I have always found HP printers to be good to use, reliable and cheap to run.
on 8 October 2011
If all you want is a basic Printer with no bells or whistles this fits the bill perfectly.I use mine for printing the odd document or Email and it does this with the minimum of fuss.If you want to print photos then maybe it would be worth spending a little more.It took 4 minutes from loading the set up disc to the Printer being ready to use and that was it.I use an Acer Windows 7 64 bit Laptop and encountered no problems at all during installation.Windows went online to update the Drivers during set up and it all went very smoothly.So for a good basic printer with no frills this for me is perfect.
on 23 August 2011
I bought this to replace my Epson Photo printer. These days every printer seems to come packaged with a scanner/ copier...I just wanted a damn printer!

Printers have come along way in the last decade and this does one (surprisingly) does not disappoint. Like many buyers I was hesitant on spending so little on an electronic item: my worries were unfounded. I'm happy to say this printer works extremely well. It has one job to do -print- and it does so speedily and to a high quality. The graphic print-outs have no banding and are sharp. The text print outs are extremely quick and even the draft quality is impressive. The quality is superior to my old Epson machine and that cost about 9 time the price, six years ago!

Even though the price was great though I suspected the machine would be a bit flimsy: I didn't expect too much in the way of flashy lights, features or fancy buttons. I'm pleased to say the design, though simple is straightforward and robust. Even the pull out paper tray shows a nice flair for design. A wifi option would be brilliant but for the price its on offer at you can't really grumble.

I have a mac. I didn't bother installing the bloated stock drivers it came with as Apple's work fine and install automatically on connection. The ink from HP is expensive. Far better to order a DIY refill kit from eBay and save a lot of money refilling the cartridges yourself. If you do that you may just have the biggest bargain in your hands. order now!
on 17 September 2011
An absolutely idiot proof printer for the price which was excellent value. Prints out perfect every time and refills for cartridges are cheap to get so thats a bonus.
Gotta love it!!!! Sheila Clements Satisfied customer PS Also fast delivery too.
on 14 June 2011
I am very pleased with this product. It is quite a wonderful value for the price. It is working as advertised. It is highly recommended to all, especially those who do not have enough space for the much-space-occupying printers.
on 8 June 2011
I bought this product to use while at the caravan.
It does exactly what it says on the tin. It is easy to use and produces good quality print quickly.
A very good price which includes ink cartridges! (I haven't checked cost of replacement cartridges yet)
on 27 August 2011
Having had quite a bit of trouble with my last printer, I decided to gamble and bought this very inexpensive one - after all there was nothing to lose at this price! I am so pleased I did, it chugs along very nicely and produces surprisingly good quality prints. It is very light and therefore portable and works quietly and efficiently. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a simple colour printer. Don't forget it does not come with a USB cable.