4.0 out of 5 stars An innocent abroad
So I watched bits of a couple of episodes of the An Idiot Abroad TV series but never really enjoyed it. I couldn't quite work out if Karl Pilkington really was as dopily parochial as he seemed or if it was put on, either way the series seemed exploitative and designed to make its viewers cringe.

I bought the book (in Kindle format) because:
a. it was on...
Published on 9 Aug. 2012 by Crookedmouth

2.0 out of 5 stars All a bit pointless
When I saw how cheap it was for the Kindle, I thought it would be worth a go seeing as I really liked the program. If I hadn't only spent 20p on it (if it's gone up by the time your read this, don't bother), I would have been annoyed.

Published on 17 July 2012 by Gavin Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignorance is Bliss, 30 Nov. 2010
I bought this book roughly a week or so after the TV series finished and whilst watching the show I came to realize what Stephen Merchant said about dear Karl is true, "He's just a simple, ignorant, English bloke"... or something like that. And Karl is ignorant, completely unaware of how stupid or racist what he says is, and its simply one of the funniest things to read. Reading the "Travel Diaries" I couldn't help but find every word funny, everything he believes to be true is just laugh out loud funny and to view the world from his perspective is simply a treat. If you loved the series and every stupid little thing Karl has said, then you'll love the book, which is a much better, in depth look into the strange, hilarious mind of Karl Pilkington.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Idiot?? - NO Way, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington (Kindle Edition)
I'm not of the younger generation and quite honestly had never heard of Karl Pilkington before, but I was somehow drawn to this book by just reading a sample of it and by then was aware that Ricky Gervais and Stephen Marchant were in some way connected (I had heard of them!!).
This was one of the funniest books I'd read and to quote one reviewer (and sorry Hans, I've just stolen a paragraph from your review hope you don't mind :-) as it describes me almost to a "t". ""The appeal of Karl is not merely that he says stupid things, or that his concerns are petty - anyone could do that - it is that there is some semblance of logic in his thinking, and, personally at least, it mirrors a part of myself. The part of me that is more concerned with immediate comforts than new experiences, and is underwhelmed by things that I have been told I should find spectacular. Karl takes these feelings and runs with them to their absurd conclusions, so that a book about the wonders of the world spends much of the time detailing toilet concerns"".
As an aside, I have just watched an episode on the TV where he was sent to Brazil, visually the appeal wasn't quite there for me but please buy the book and weep it's so worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very different take on travel, 25 Feb. 2011
Daniel Storey "Book_Worm_Daniel" (Rochester, England) - See all my reviews
karl Pilkington gives his different view of travel whilst visiting some of the world's man made wonders. If Michael Palin is your stable diet of travel writing this book is properly not for you. However if you want a travel guide from a bloke so far out of his comfort zone then this is the book to read, laugh out loud to and often shake your head in disbelief.

TV funny man Ricky Gervais decides to send his mate and radio producer friend Karl Pilkington around to world to see if they can change his view of the world. If you don't know nothing about Karl Pilkington it maybe worth watching Ricky Gervais Podcast sessions with Karl and Stephen Merchant and you understand the enigma that is Karl Pilkington.

I watched the TV series by the same name first and it for me it brought the book alive a lot more whilst reading along. Travel is not always the wonderful experience everyone makes out and Karl gives his open and honest account of the wonders which makes a refreshing chance from this is good, special, awe inspiring etc that other travel writer have done in the past.

This book isn't up to the standard of Bill Bryson travel writing or as funny but will still be a good read worth adding to your bookself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who is a fan of Pilkington, 8 May 2013
Some very funny musings from the unique mind of Karl Pilkington. This a great companion to the first series of An Idiot Abroad and would be just as funny, or probably, funnier if I hadn't already seen the series. Even if you have, this contains enough stuff not included in the programme to make it a quick, yet worthwhile and amusing read.

The diary format suits Karls consise, say-it-like-it-s style. If you are used to listening to the podcasts/radio shows he has featured on will probably have his voice in your head when you read this, which is great! It has to be admitted that Karl is at his best in other formats when you can genuinely hear him as his tone of voice and manc accent seem to be part of the package and add to the humour, but the photo section in the middle of the book where you can at least see him and witness his slightly awkward, gormless expression makes up for this a bit.

The fact that this is not just recycled material from something else (like The World According to Karl Pilkington) is crucial in me being able to wholeheartedly recommend this. I can definitely see myself rereading this at some point when I want some light relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 1 Oct. 2010
S. Barnett - See all my reviews
More great stuff from the round headed genius. Listened to Ricky, Steve & Karl right from the early days of XFM, and I stuck with them all this time. So glad Karl's finally got his own show!

I love the series, and I love this book. Buy it now.

I just LOVE KARL PILKINGTON!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars delve into the mind of an "interesting" individual, 22 Aug. 2011
bizmandan (staffordshire, england) - See all my reviews
An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington is packed full of what many would call Karl's ignorant wit; a skill he uses to simultaneously fail to understand a situation whilst sending it up with a hilarious observation. When freed from the badgering he endures on the podcasts, Karl is able to apply his unique filter to the world without constantly being forced to explain it, resulting in a book which had me laughing. I love the way that Karl thinks, it reminds me a lot of my best friend.
Each of the seven wonders of the world has a chapter dedicated to it, with a school-trip style questionnaire at the end. The actual book itself is brilliantly put together, worthy of a proper bookshelf rather than the downstairs toilet windowsill. It is absolutely full of pictures, drawings, facts and bits and pieces from Karl's adventures, as well as inserts of conversations between Karl and Ricky or Steve back in London.
I think that the diary is meant to work best as a companion piece to the television series, because with Karl packing in so many strange and funny activities it can feel like the book is jumping very quickly from day to day, but I don't have sky one and the book works very well as a stand alone as well. From what I have seen of the TV series I expect it will offer a more detailed account of the trips Karl goes on, while the book provides more reflection on his travels and his impressions of the people and sights he encounters.
The book provides as many laughs as you could want as well as being quintessentially Pilkington. He may not be Michael Palin, but you will certainly learn about other cultures in a completely different level in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny & A Unique Outlook, 6 Aug. 2012
I bought this for just 20p, yet I'm not sure if I would've bought it for full price. Although I did enjoy the book, because it is quite informal, with jokey pictures etc, I wouldn't have purchased a copy if it was of a similar price to the paperback edition.

However, that being said, I really enjoyed this book and managed to get through it in an afternoon/evening. Karl's insights are pretty unique and he makes some very funny comparisons of the wonders. I personally love to travel, and at first couldn't believe Karl had no interest in seeing some of the greatest sights in the world. But you come to understand where he is coming from as the book goes on, he enjoys his sheltered lifestyle and seems resistant to change.

His descriptions of the sites make me want to travel there even more, and I learnt some pretty interesting facts throughout. So this book is a mix of a funny diary, travel facts and ancient sites. A lovely read.

2.0 out of 5 stars All a bit pointless, 17 July 2012
Gavin Jones - See all my reviews

If you've seen the TV show, then this is basically just a description of what happens in that. Clearly, that's to be expected to an extent, but I would also have expected a few extras, maybe a few more "behind the scenes" commentaries, or some jokes/opinions that weren't lifted directly from the program. It really is just a written version of the TV show, which renders it all a bit pointless.

However, if you haven't seen the TV show, then I doubt you'd get much, if anything, from this book. It's a good reminder of what was in the show, but as a standalone book, it's pretty poor. This, again, renders it all a bit pointless.

So, erm, yeah; it's all just a bit pointless really! It doesn't add anything to the show if you've seen it or work very well as a book in itself if you haven't.

Basically, it's a cheap (literally, which I'm grateful for) cash-in on a very good TV series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing attitutde, 20 Jan. 2013
C. Kidd (Dibden, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I always find Ricky Gervais quite funny so borrowed An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington by Karl Pilkington, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant from the library. I've got to be honest, as I finished the book I came away disappointed.

Karl Pilkington was sent by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant to the seven wonders of the world - but instead of having a lovely stay in a 5* hotel and having a beautiful tourist experience he stays or travels with a local resident, most of whom are incredibly poor. These relationships provide a lot of value in the book - both in terms of amusing stories, but also in terms of the way they clearly make Karl think about the world.

I think the thing that made me most disappointed was Karl's attitude - he just didn't seem interested in the fantastic opportunities he'd been given to visit the seven wonders as part of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cultural fascism debunked, 18 Nov. 2010
Very funny.

Although the book and TV series are billed "An Idiot Abroad" I find myself agreeing with a lot of Karl's debunking of cultural fascism. His observations about the Great Wall of China are spot on.

Great reading if you can't afford to go on holiday this year -you realise that most of the world frankly isn't worth seeing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›