5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book for readers from any tradition
Howard C Cutler, an experienced practising psychotherapist, spent years, in America and India, talking with HH The Dalai Lama, presenting him with problems encountered in Western life, and recording his responses. Cutler arranged the results into a sequence which leads us through the universal search for happiness, the obstacles, and how it can really be achieved...
Published on 20 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The style of this book lets it down
I first came to this book after one of my counselling clients mentioned that he had been reading it, and that he thought it had helped him to further understand how he needed to change. Intrigued, I decided to get my hands on the book to see if I could discover why he found it so useful.

As you could expect from a book that has the involvement of the Dalai...
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by Brida

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book for readers from any tradition, 20 Aug 2000
By A Customer
In reading fairly widely on these subjects, from both a Western and an Eastern perspective, I have never before come across a book which compares the two, point by point, resolving apparent conflicts, and extracting the fundamental truths which lie beneath, making the differences seem essentially superficial. For me, this approach resolved problems which I have never solved before. For instance, the anomaly of perceived attitudes to anger - the Western ("don't suppress it, express it"), and the Eastern ("rise above it"). The answer isn't simple, but it's in this book.
The Art of Happiness - A Handbook for Living is, as its name suggests, a practical handbook. It is best read from beginning to end, but thereafter accessible by dipping into a section as needed. I have had my copy for a long time, and keep returning to it. For example, re-reading the section 'Dealing with Anxiety' puts such feelings into perspective and reinforces pragmatic solutions. There's a lively approach throughout, punctuated by illustrations from Howard Cutler's case-book - real examples of the problems of people he has dealt with over many years in practice, and occasionally his own worries about life. The Dalai Lama also contributes some examples from people he has met, and his own experience. Both can be enlightening and humorous. Spiritual and emotional issues are often discussed with reference to scientific research. These contrasts, and the lively pace, mean that although fundamental issues of great depth are being explored, this is no dry, theoretical discussion. In fact, it is a book which can be very hard to put down.
This is a book for those from all faiths and none. Buddhism is not an evangelical faith, and the Dalai Lama makes clear his respect for all religions, pointing out the truths common to all.
Perhaps the ultimate test - on finishing this book, I felt happier than I have for a very long time. Put into daily practice, this really is A Handbook for Living...

3.0 out of 5 stars The style of this book lets it down, 21 Feb 2008
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

As you could expect from a book that has the involvement of the Dalai Lama, what I found was a very spiritual, compassionate discourse on life. However, like a previous reviewer, I also found that the voice of Howard Cutler lets this book down. Although I can understand why they have decided to tackle this subject in the way they have - the book is set out as an interview between the two men, interspersed with anecdotes from Cutler's own experience - I feel that it takes focus away from the Dalai Lama's voice. I would prefer this book if it was just a commentary by the Dalai Lama.

That gripe aside, I think THE ART OF HAPPINESS is a delightful way to bring Western thinkers around to another way of seeing life and themselves. As a way of introducing Tibetan Buddhism, this book is a triumph - it is engaging, enjoyable, thought-provoking and an easy way of beginning an interest in this philosophy.
If you read this and enjoy it, I would also recommned that you then go and read some work by Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist monk who writes beautiful books on Buddhism.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of East and West., 29 Aug 2003
Adam Khan (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Here is a surprisingly good book, written by a psychiatrist who interviewed the Dalai Lama many times. The book is a combination of narrative by the author and extended quotes of the Dalai Lama's answers. And Cutler asks some good questions.
Sometimes the Dalai Lama's answers seem simple. Part of it is the language. English is obviously not his first language, so he uses almost nothing but ordinary, everyday English -- no jargon, no technical terms, no psychiatric lingo. And yet he obviously has a profound grasp of human nature. Another reason his answers sound simple is because they are rooted in practicality. He isn't trying to explain how things are, he's trying to describe what you can DO to become happier. Descriptions of actions are much simpler and more concrete than explanations.
I'm the author of the book, Self-Help Stuff That Works, and I found the psychiatrist's orientation and the Dalai Lama's practicality combined to make some excellent self-help. I've tried many of the Dalai Lama's suggestions and they really work. One of his suggestions is to think about the similarities between you and other people -- specifically that they want to be happy, just like you do, and they also suffer, just like you do. I know it sounds almost too basic, but when I've actually thought about that while talking to someone, I feel noticeably closer to the person, and that feeling of closeness is relaxing, soothing, calming, and very pleasant. That feeling of closeness increases my happiness.
The Art of Happiness is an excellent book and I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars serene wisdom, but not a great of practical help, 22 Jan 2010
I met the Dalai Lama once, in Dharamsala, although I didn't speak to him - I shook his hand, and he gave me a red cotton wristband. What impressed me was that he really looked at me with his full attention, and smiled, and seemed to radiate benevolence. This book radiates benevolence in the same way, looking at happiness from the Buddhist point of view, and suggesting how to live in such a way as to increase our well-being. There is a great deal of emphasis on compassion, and on understanding our own minds, and how our own negative thoughts and emotions create discord in our lives. It's wise and well-written, but I did miss a little bit of more practical advice, some concrete steps on what we can do increase our happiness. To make up for this omission, perhaps this book needs to read together with a book such as Authentic Happiness. I must also recommend Back to Sanity: Healing the Madness of our Minds by Steve Taylor, a great book on the factors which stop us finding harmony and happiness, and how we can overcome them. Back to Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness According to the Dalai Lama, 8 Dec 2008
This book is suppose to represent the Dalai Lama's views on happiness. Readers should know right off the bat that the Dalai Lama didn't actually write this book. Rather, the book is written by a Western psychiatrist who has had extensive converations with His Holiness. To insure that there were no "inadvertant distortions" of the Dalai Lama's ideas as a result of the editorial process, the Dalai Lama's interpreter reviewed the final manuscript. You be the judge as to whether that means this there was nothing "lost in translation".

So who is this Dalai Lama, aka "His Holiness" anyway? And, why should we read a book about happiness by him? Well, the Dalai Lama is the spiritual and political leader of the Tibetan people according to Tibetan Buddhism- which in my book makes him a person I'd want to listen to when he talks, especially when it's on one of my favorite subjects, happiness. And if this all sounds like an interesting topic for a book, you should read it- you won't be disappointed.

Now this is the kind of book I could write a long review of- simply because there's just so much wisdom packed into it. But, I think I'll take a short-cut with this one and just hit the highlights.

The Dalai Lama believes that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. Other happiness books have also taken this same position. For example, the book Finding Happiness in a Frustrating World refers to happiness as "the ultimate pursuit". On this most will agree, but what exactly does the Dalai Lama tell us about finding it?

As with most of his ideas on things, the concept is clear and simple: happiness can be achieved through training the mind. According to the Dalai Lama, one begins by identifying those factors which lead to happiness, and those factors which lead to suffering.

Having done this, one then sets about gradually eliminating those factors which lead to suffering and cultivating those which lead to happiness. That is the way.

To that end, that's exactly what makes up the majority of this book's pages- ways to eliminate factors in your life that lead to suffering, and learning to foster those factors that lead to happiness. Some specific topics include:

-facing suffering
-dealing with anger, hatred, and anxiety
-building self-esteem
-deepening your connection to others

When all is said and done, I'd have to say that the time you spend mulling over the book's 300-plus pages is going to be well worth it. For most readers, the Dalai Lama's wisdom and views will probably be very beneficial, if not transforming. Happy trails!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous insight into happiness, 8 Oct 1999
By A Customer
Mr. Cutler and H.H. The Dalia Lama have worked very hard to make this book extremely easy to read and accessible. It is written mainly from interviews Mr.cutler had with His Holiness and makes liberal use of notes taken during these meetings. Whilst some references are made to the Buddhist religion, it by no means attempts to force the reader to adopt such views. Instead, it concentrates on looking at issues and questions from a Western World approach and comparing that with the approach and teachings of His Holiness. I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever thought, "There must be more to it all"

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend everyone to read this book, 20 Nov 1999
By A Customer
For a long time I have felt that I was searching for the meaning of life. This book provides an answer which is on the one hand simple, yet on the other hand so complex that you will spend a lifetime questing toward it. There were no glib solutions to complex and painful events that we may experience as we go through life. Some words of wisdom are shared with us which may help us appreciate life's high points and cope with the lows.
I really liked the way in which the author presented his material. It gave me a feel that I was there in the room with HH Dalai Lama. I could imagine his smiling face and feel the power and simplicity of his words. The author used a very open style of writing and real life situations were skillfully woven into the story.
I feel a happier person since reading this book even as I've been going through a painful bereavement. This is one of the most important books that I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and interesting read, 23 Sep 2014
For me this was a book that had to be read slowly and with determination, with many pauses for looking-off-into-the-distance-deep-in-thought. The Dalai Lama believes in fundamental goodness in all human beings, in the value of compassion and kindness, and a sense of commonality among all living creatures, he really is a most remarkable human being if only the whole World could feel the same .......... but I digress the book. Cutler's input mostly detracts from the teachings of the Dalai Lama. At best, he makes small, often insignificant links between the Dalai Lama's point and western science. Like how he made the connection between Buddhism's idea of training the mind to the scientific idea of "plasticity" which proves that, indeed, you can train the mind. I strongly recommend this book for anyone trying to move on from any sort of suffering (death, divorce, argument, career blues, etc.) which means we would ALL find this book useful. It's true that we all have one unique goal as human beings: happiness. This book is a great starting point for MORE happiness in our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 19 Oct 2007
Once started, I found this compulsive listening. The narrators do a good job in passing on the Dalai Lama's thought provoking philosophies and experiences. The explanation of how we are all connected and reliant on each other, even if we think we are self sufficient was very thought provoking, and must surely help people to develop more tolerance towards others. The chimes between the chapters create an atmosphere of Buddhist calm, and the meditations are conducive to developing a deeper insight and understanding of our own inter-connectiveness with all beings.

Listening to the Dalai Lama's perspective on subjects such as anger, grief and depression may help people of any faith to overcome negative feelings and begin living a happier life.

I found listening to this recording was even better than reading the Dalai Lama's books, and I became totally immersed in the subjects. Although he may live life as a figure-head, this recording shows that the Dalai Lama is completely and compassionately aware of the problems of day-to-day living that we all face.

3.0 out of 5 stars An uplifting message, but poorly presented, 17 Feb 2006
Amazon Customer (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
"The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living" was a gift from my girlfriend who, knowing I had an interest in Buddhism and Eastern philosophy, thought this would be a good read for me.

I've enjoyed what the Dalai Lama has to say about life and how to live it, and I'd say that the book offers some powerful and positive ways of looking at myself and the world. I particularily like the way chapters are themed around issues (eg anxiety) that might affect people.

However, it's badly hampered by Howard C. Cutler's (the narrator/interviewer) writing style. The Dalai Lama's observations are embedded in hokey anecdotes about events in the author's life that are presented as a backdrop to, or even 'evidence' to support, the DL's words. At one level this is just tedious and, at another, really dilutes the message to the point where I found it difficult to follow.

Also, some of the central themes of Buddhism are brushed over, as is the role of meditation, with a few exceptions. Maybe the author thought this would be off-putting to the lay reader, but I'm sure it would be possible to emphasise their role, without saying you have to be a practicing buddhist to believe the book.

Overall, read it if you want some positive advice and something gently life-affirming (no bad thing!), but not if you want something more objective or challenging.