5.0 out of 5 stars For all bruised reeds
Published on 21 Nov 2008 by summer stream

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is this idea in the bible?
I believe this book is very dangerous for the following reasons:-

(1) The bible has plenty to say about God forgiving us and us forgiving others - but nothing about us forgiving ourselves. We can therefore conclude that the concept is not biblical, as a matter of simple fact.

(2) It is also very bad theology, as it implies that (a) God's...
Published on 10 April 2008 by 9Marksfan

5.0 out of 5 stars For all bruised reeds, 21 Nov 2008
In this warm and scripturally faithful work, the author explains at the outset: `we all need God's forgiveness of all our sins. This is why Jesus died on the cross.' Throughout the book he reinforces the Biblical truth that forgiveness of sin is only through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus. He then goes on to define what he means by totally forgiving ourselves: `It is accepting God's forgiveness of all our past sins and failures so completely that we equally let ourselves off the hook for our pasts as God Himself has done.'

Dr Kendall states his view in the introduction that this is achieved mostly by applying good theology and loving pastoral care. To believers who trust Christ alone for forgiveness but remain tormented by failure and remorse, he explains `as a pastor and theologian', not as a mental health practitioner, how to address their anguish God's way and move on.

In the course of the book, he teases out the differences between true and false guilt, emphasises the Holy Spirit's work in conviction of sin, and shows that the grace of repentance is a gift from God. He explores the twin sins of self-pity and self-righteousness as obstacles to spiritual progress, and charts the failures and loving restoration of some spiritual giants: David, Jacob, Peter and Paul. There is practical advice about accepting ourselves, which includes due cautions, and a useful chapter on resisting the devil.

Agreeing with his predecessor at Westminster Chapel, Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones, who said `God never oppresses us' Dr Kendall quotes many scriptures throughout his book in support of this sentiment, scriptures which encourage us to appropriate the peace that accompanies divine forgiveness.

As the remarkable Dr Josif Tson says to the Christian reader in his foreword, `Who are you to blame yourself after He washed you clean in His blood?' This is a gracious, wise and Biblical treatment of a common and painful problem for thoughtful Christians. Highly recommended.

NB This book has also been released under the title: How to Forgive Ourselves - Totally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one!, 26 Jan 2008
I wish I could have given this book 10 stars. If you read one book as a Christian, make it this one. It has opened my eyes to a lot of things that I have been struggling with, without even realising it. This author has a way of putting things that make them clear and plain and understandable. It is clear that he has battled many unforgiveness issues himself, and he offers a way to total forgiveness, as well as motivating the need for it very convincingly. Read this book - you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally forgiving ourselves, 16 Dec 2012
A well written ,easy to read and understand.RT Kendall has a thorough grasp of scripture and brings truth into reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 14 Jun 2010
A book I would highly recomend to anyone, easily read and obsorbed, a book to read and read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Brilliant truth for Christians, please read why!, 12 Aug 2009
Boy, did I need this!. I have no problem understanding God's forgiveness as total, and Jesus sacrifice as enough, once and for all..the problem comes when as a Christian you do things that you can't change and it gets to you, I mean really gets to you, and 'you' hold it against yourself. You repent, you ask God's forgiveness, you accept and know Jesus pain and sacrifice for your sin and..you know you are forgiven yet, you feel worse! I should not have done it!, how could I? You idiot ! all of these things come to mind, over and over again...You cannot go back and change things, you are sorry, you KNOW you are forgiven, you know you are saved, you have no problem with those facts! but 'you' have a problem with YOU! I have been going through this for years, especially as I am a Christian who messed up, BIG TIME, through divorce, through silly choices, financial and other, you are dissappointed with yourself, it is a very real Pain and grief, and the enemy uses it to turn the knife when he cannot use other things...thank you so much R T Kendall for addressing a very REAL issue for some. for speaking to me about my regrets, my failures, and how to get free at last from that, by forgiving myself and putting it in context with living life in true victory ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book/fast shipping, 27 Jun 2014
Book is an excellent book for those seeking healing and want to forgive themselves. R.T Kendall is a brilliant writer furthermore this seller was fast and reliable book came within days in excellent quality would definitely buy from this seller again

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this book, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Totally Forgiving Ourselves (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book everybody should take it on board,christian or non Christian.RT KENDALL has as usual excelled in his writings may he continue to do so..

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Totally Forgiving Ourselves (Kindle Edition)
It is a brilliant book that gives much to think about. The main idea is if God has forgiven you and he sent his son to die for our sins. You have no reason not to forgive yourself. Plus Roman 8:28 is discussed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for those that need it, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Totally Forgiving Ourselves (Kindle Edition)
I think this is a very honest and revealing book it has helped me to come to grips with my past.
I would recommend this to anybody who has an open mind to read from somebody who is giving a solution to things that may have mucked up your past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Forgiving Ourselves, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Totally Forgiving Ourselves (Kindle Edition)
R.T. Kendall's book is an excellent guide in helping us on the road to the challenge of totally forgiving ourselves. I bought both of his books as paperbacks, and was more than happy to add them to my Kindle library. I recommended it highly to you.

Totally Forgiving Ourselves