5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic story based on true historic fact
This book is absolutely fascinating and I read it far more quickly than any book I've read for a long time. I just couldn't put it down.

Published on 25 Jan 2009 by Lesley

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring
So disappointed in this book having read Me Before You and also Last Letter from my Lover which were absolutely brilliant. I just could not get into this book at all. I found each chapter a real struggle and finally stopped reading after chapter 7. I hope to return to this book at some stage as all the reviews are so good but at the moment I just find it so tedious.
Published 17 months ago by Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic story based on true historic fact, 25 Jan 2009
Lesley (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)

It is the story of over 600 war brides who were transported from Australian to Plymouth, England in 1946 on a huge naval aircraft carrier, HMS Victoria, to be reunited with their British husbands. Although the characters are entirely fictitious, it is based on and mirrors the true journey of HMS Victorious at that time. The author has done her research extremely well, her own grandmother having made the journey on HMS Victorious over 60 years ago. Each chapter begins with a true quotation from a publication at that time, and these quotations are incorporated into her story. I became so absorbed, I found myself researching the true story of HMS Victorious on the internet.

The story focuses on four women who share a cabin on the ship, all with very different personalities and backgrounds, and the bond they form. It tells of their hopes and fears, bearing in mind they know very little of the country they are going too or, indeed, the husbands they have known for only a very short time. It also outlines the difficulties of a naval ship full of sailors, very much a male domain, suddenly being presented with a cargo of excitable young women!

The only aspect I found puzzling was the fact that the ship limped home to Plymouth on what was to be her final journey, badly damaged and with only one engine, only to turn up at a breakers yard in India many years later. How did they get her there? In fact, HMS Victorious ended her days at a breakers yard just outside Glasgow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 3 April 2006
M. Todd (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
The book follows the story of four Australian brides on a ship sailing them to England to their new husbands. The book begins by describing briefly their wait to get onto a ship and follows them on their six week journey untill they meet their husbands.
The story gradually revealed more about the brides stories and really built up the mystery in the book.
The first chapter drags a little but after that the real story really gets going and its impossible to put down. Full of interesting, engaging and beleivable characters and a plot full of twists. Themes of love, betrayal, loss and friendship make the book identifiable to all readers. At stages makes you laugh out loud and at others it makes you cry. The author has clearly done her research into this real life journey and her writing shows she really knows what she's talking about. Very well written!
A great ending, with all the loose ends tied up make the book perfectly finished.
A fantastic read that keeps you entertained and gripped from the beginning! You must read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into how attitudes have changed., 2 May 2006
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
This book was a revelation! I found the difference between how attitudes have changed in the last 60 years absolutely fascinating. The story was something about which I had had no previous knowledge.

Basically it tells the story of "brides" from Australia going across the world to join their British Husbands, post WW II. Many of these women had only spent a very short time with their now husbands and had no inkling of the lives they would be leading in post war Britain. They were leaving behind everything that was familiar and would be leaving all their families on the other side of the world.

One also has to consider those that received the telegram that told them to return home as they were no longer wanted! And those that realised they had been deceived, and the stigmas that they would then have to endure. It certainly shows how the culture of women always being the ones that carried the shame has changed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An historical insight I never though I would enjoy so much, 9 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
Having read all of Jojo's other books, I bought this without reading the back cover. I was due to emigrate and had enjoyed her other books so I just picked it up on a 3 for 2 offer. I was not too happy when I read realised the subject. The first chapter was slow, and feeling that I was on 'book rationing', I read other books that I had brought first. How wrong I was, this is a brilliant story wrapped around an era that is not very long ago but seems like an eternity. This has opened my eyes to a time when my recently departed grandparents were alive. I will definately be looking to find out more about these ships and brides. Wonderful, captivating read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally enthrauling, 21 Mar 2006
denby fan (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
What an emotional and exciting read, I could not put this book down, from the images of the brides to the vision of the ship and the vast oceans, it was trully overwhelming. I loved the different characters and their personal passage on route to their new lives in the UK. The delightful images of these beautiful girls and brave sailors,the tensions aboard ship with all those male and female hormones, it was a wonderful read.....try it! you won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the love story I expected, 18 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
A beautifully crafted story of four completely different women sharing a cabin while travelling from Australia to the UK after the Second World War to live with their British husbands.
The basis for the book is the developing relationship between these women as they journey around the world.
The plot has quite a few twists and turns as more is revealed about the backgrounds of these four women over the course of their journey which keeps you reading until the end. A great summer read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite slow at the outset, 7 Oct 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
A slow start that picked up after a few chapters. It dipped again towards the end but overall a good book that was easy to read. Many characters to become involved with. I wasn't quite as interested in the sailors as I was the brides but they were just as big a part of the story so necessary. The prologue felt wasted but is needed in some respects to link in with the epilogue.

The author acknowledges her sources at the start but I wouldn't know what was historically accurate and what wasn't. An interesting mix of female characters with some unlikely heroines. And as the blurb says "sometimes the journey is more important than the destination".

5.0 out of 5 stars Ship of Brides, 23 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Paperback)
I just finished this book and it was just so good i couldn't put it down. The plot keeps you guessing to the end and you become so interested in the lives of these women. The 4 women in the story are so different and it is lovely to see each one develop. I enjoyed it so much i know i will reread it many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Kindle Edition)
Another great novel by JoJo Moynes. Believable characters who you could empathise with. Would thoroughly recommend this novel. Looking forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Ship of Brides (Kindle Edition)
I'm slowly working my way through all of Jojo Moyes books and I love them all. This is a gorgeous story with wonderful characters, as in all of Jojo's books. A real gem of a book, do yourself a massive favour and read it!

ARRAY(0xa68daf90)