5.0 out of 5 stars A constant source of delight
I cannot recommend this book highly enough! Every single recipe I have tried is absolutely delicious! The Thai curries have transformed my taste buds! From sitting on the shelf, my slow cooker is left out on the side and is used at least 3 times a week. Yes you may have to stock up with some unusual ingredients to start with, BUT, you will be eating restaurant quality...
Published on 28 Feb 2009 by Judith Mccafferty

3.0 out of 5 stars curries a go-go
Good value for a used book.
Unfortunately there are no pictures of the meals, that does make a difference.
The recipes are easy to follow, so making them should be a wizz.
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by marianne

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Mar 2009
I am totally impressed with this book, I am new to slow cooking but I was fed up with just doing stews.

This book has opened my eyes. I have only cooked two recipes up to now but have only had the book a couple of weeks and both meals went down a storm. My friends at work love it too and one of them has actually bought another book in the same series.

I would highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the price, 24 Jun 2009
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
For the price this book is fantastic. I've tried 10 of the recipes now and there's only 1 of those I haven't enjoyed so far. Because I already enjoyed cooking with the spices included in the recipes there was nothing I needed to buy but if you don't already cook in this manner you will have a few stock ingredients to acquire, mainly in the form of dried herbs.

The instructions are very simple to follow and the timings are very accurate. Some recipes call for seasonal ingredients and the author has given you alternatives; for example if pumpkin isn't in season you are given other ingredients to try.

I would even think about (as another reviewer mentions) getting an extra slow cooker to do more than one dish at a time. I use a normal timer bought from a DIY shop to use my slow cooker when I'm out at work and therefore time the recipe to be finished after I've got in and have prepared whatever we're having with it - bread, salad, rice etc.

I'm certainly looking forward to working my way through most of the other recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooking Curry and Spice Dishes, 23 April 2009
Fantastic book. Small in size but filled with loads of tasty easy to make dishes.

3.0 out of 5 stars curries a go-go, 21 Oct 2010
Good value for a used book.
Unfortunately there are no pictures of the meals, that does make a difference.
The recipes are easy to follow, so making them should be a wizz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipe's, 28 Feb 2010
K. Burnett (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
There are some really nice recipe's in this book, with variations on which meat and cooking time to use. However, it's just a shame there aren't any pictures of each dish as that is usually how i choose which recipe to cook!

2.0 out of 5 stars spice up your life, 5 Nov 2009
mfl (london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Here's a curious cookbook that's maybe enticing nervous Indian cookery virgins along with the slow cooker devotees. Either way, if you're tempted by a quick fix to authentic Indian cooking the easy way, this bold claim cookbook should be treated with a high degree of caution.

At first glance, there appears to be a good range of recipes to entice the novice in Caroline Humphries' slow cooking solutions and many are easy to throw into the pot to delight the slow cooking convenience seekers. Humphries' introduction heralds the curry as the new age food so do we have a perfect match to the new / old age slow cooker revival? And there's no mistaking the cover shouts at "better flavour" and "meals of restaurant quality". The saviour from the reliance on the local takeaway, which for many is probably the only way they have eaten the delights of a wonderful cuisine.

Indian cookery is far from difficult and with a little investment in store cupboard spices, there are far better recipe books out there which will take you a fraction of the time to cook and taste so much more superior than what this book will direct. As an example, Indian cooking with meats often requires vital marinating time (not days but maybe an hour or two) yet the claim here is slow cooking does that for you. Not strictly correct and the shame is that the slow cookers on the market all seem to cook too quickly even on the standard low settings. Humphries' acknowledges the non marinating effect in her chicken tikka recipe but you are likely to notice the non-ability of slow cookers to do the alternate version any justice in its overcooking and blandness. The Tobago Curried Crab Pilaf recipe is not only a gross infringement of cooking rights but a shocking waste of good ingredients in the resultant gloop of wallpaper paste on a plate. The recipe states a 2 hour cook on low but even with a premium cooker after less than an hour, it's not remotely what it claims to be.

This reviewer doesn't question other reviewers' enjoyment of these recipes and without any degree of preciousness, the route to marvellous curries are a little preparation and far easier cooking the traditional way on a stove and in a fraction of the time.

If in doubt, try Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible and taste the difference. If it came with a money back guarantee that every recipe wasn't perfect, delicious and eat-in meals better than restaurant quality, Madhur wouldn't have to write one cheque.

On a practical note, you'll also need to consider the size for your cooker as Humphries' recipes only cater for four servings, with the odd 4 - 6. If you've a 6.5 litre slow cooker they are going to be dwarfed and even when upping the measurements you're not guaranteed to have the same results.

Slow cooking is not and never was the be all cure for an easy cooking life and certainly not for a curry revolution. Don't be swayed; this is a poor and frequently misleading cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 28 Jan 2010
I recently bought a new slow cooker and decided to treat myself to a new recipe book. This one is fantastic - even my fussy teenagers comment on how delicious the food is. The only "but" is that you will have the extra expense of stocking up on all sorts of spices and 'different' ingredients, but once you've stocked up it's simply a case of choosing a recipe - and you are spoiled for choice. The recipes are really delicious - all the favourites are there - tikka masala, korma, dhansak, tandoori, madras, vindaloo, rogan, chilli, etc - and lovely twists on recipes, such as a fragrant slow-cooked leg of lamb which absolutely falls off the bone. I've got loads of cookery books from which I only use 1 or 2 recipes, but I've already tried 10 from this book - and every one has been easy to follow, praised by my friends and family - and requested again. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars scrummy-licious, 17 April 2009
Mrs. K. Price "PriceyK" (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
Superb book, easy to follow and a good variety of dishes. I am a relative newcomer to the slow cooking world and found this to be an excellent starter book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 Mar 2009
I bought this after getting a Crock Pot for christmas and it is a fantastic book! The recipes are easy to follow and amazingly tastey. I would recommend it to anyone who has bought a slow cooker and not really sure what to do with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indian Style Slow cooking, 28 Dec 2009
I'm quite new to slow cookers and always look for advice from friends. This book was recommended and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've cooked three dishes so far, and each have turned out great. I've used the exact ingredients, even when I thought there wasn't enough liquid, I stuck to her measurements and there where no problems and so far have had really tasty meals. You will need to stock up on some basic spices.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›