5.0 out of 5 stars Abbado and Bruckner, 7 Sep 2013
Dr. J. M. Vilanova (Leicester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Abbado came relatively late to Bruckner. His last performance of Bruckner 5th with the Lucerna Orchestra (available on DVD/bluray) was a revelation to me and I decided to buy his earlier recording with the Vienna Philharmonic. The performance, is obviously, quite different, but sharing some basic elements, like a lean, dramatic, but not over dramatic approach, never heavy, and with a strong propulsive line. Maybe, over the years, his conception of Bruckner's 5th has lost weight and gained in some degree of playfulness, but here we have a valid performance in its own right, sonically beautiful, and with a satisfying accumulation of dramatic weight, movement by movement, towards a fully cathartic finale. It may be less overdriven than Barenboim's, less mystical than Celibidache or late Jochum, but fully valid in its own, more cerebral, more polished, still intense way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abbado changed my mind about Bruckner, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Bruckner: Symphony No.5 in B flat (MP3 Download)
I was never a Bruckner fan until listening to Abbado performing Bruckner Symphony No. 5 live at Royal Festival Hall in 2011. Downloaded this CD soon after the concert to indulge my new found understanding of Bruckner. I was not disappointed. Every time I listened to the music, I felt I was reliving that day in Royal Festival Hall and found something new that I didn't notice before. This is a true master piece of music making.

Bruckner: Symphony No.5 in B flat