4.0 out of 5 stars funny and truthful..definitely worth reading
Published on 29 Jun 2010 by bookbunny

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful information
Poor narrative style and did not warm to the personality of the author who seemed to lack empathy. However, it was a frightening and educational insight into what is happening to the NHS. Worth reading just for the information so that as a potential patient one is forewarned.
Published 21 months ago by Inka

4.0 out of 5 stars funny and truthful..definitely worth reading, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: Sick Notes (Paperback)
Being a GP myself, I have to admit I can completely identify with most of the sentiments written by TC. It is a funny and insightful look at the joys and frustrations of modern-day General Practice - a good mix of anecdotes intermingled with explanations of what is currently going on in the politics of Primary Care. Not everyone will like this book as it is a very honest account of how GPs feel day to day but I would say it is well worth reading, if only so people can see what Primary Care is about and what we have to deal with - the good and the bad.
The only gripe is that in some places, there may have been too much emphasis on having a moan, but hey - some days are like that...

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughter is the best medicine, 27 Sep 2010
susie (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sick Notes (Paperback)
My funny bone was tickled by this book. The true story of a GP's working life, Sick Notes is a behind-the-scenes look at the average doctors' surgery - the part that patients don't usually get to see.

It is an easy read with some great characters - my favourite is the all-seeing reception manager Mrs Peggotty. (Nothing escapes her beady eyes).

Although it really made me laugh, Dr Copperfield makes some really serious points about the hoops that he and his colleagues have to jump through on a daily basis. He gets frustrated and bewildered by the bureaucracy and officials who make his job more difficult. Then there are some very funny anecdotes about the patients who also make his life a misery.

I'll never see my GP in the same light again and I certainly won't say "while I'm here doc" at the end of my consultation, lose my prescription or convince myself that I've got some hideous, incurable disease because I've spent too long on a medical website.

I originally bought Sick Notes on Kindle, but have now bought the paperback for a friend. Buy it, it's a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, apt critique of medicine, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Sick Notes (Paperback)
An excellent book that kept my attention from cover to cover. Copperfield provides a great insight into general practice for medics and non medics alike. Criticisms match those seen in real life. Would suggest to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful information, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wit and humour, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Sick Notes (Paperback)
I loved him when his column was in the Times every week - but where did Copperfield go? Great to find his wit and humour again. I am not a GP but I would highly recommend this to anyone wonders what it must be like to be on the other side of the consulting room. Funny and insightful.

3.0 out of 5 stars "What's Up Doc!!!, 15 Mar 2013
shelalia (Northwest UK) - See all my reviews
Very good account of the machinations and machiavellian behaviour of the NHS. I was surprised at the level of cynicism and impatience with people who are, mainly, paying for the service. I think NHS staff often forget this point and practice as though they are doing their patients a favour. Perhaps they forget that we're all human with many positive and negative sides to our characters. We all tend to panic and become anxious when we think there is something wrong with our bodies. On the other hand as part of my (non) medical training I was placed in a GP's practice for several weeks and was, quite frankly, bored to tears most of the time. People attended with boils, cut knees, sore throats, ear wax, etc., etc., etc. So I understand where the frustration and cynicism stems from. I too, worked as a public servant for nearly forty years before retiring. I grew impatient, cynical and frustrated with the service, but never with the people who needed help and support. I remember them fondly for all their failings, transgressions, idiocy, etc., etc. It made me more accepting of my fellow human beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 8 Dec 2012
M. W. Julian - See all my reviews
Another anecdotal book about the life of a GP. Each chapter more or less highlights a particluar ailment and/or patient put across in a humorous way, giving an insight into a GP's life and the way the NHS has evolved into a paper-crunching monster which has tied up a GP's hands!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD LAUGH. THE BEST MEDICINE., 11 Nov 2012
Fortunately I don't go to the doctors very often, but I did enjoy this book. It reflects very accurately the kind of things that are experienced in a lot of jobs when you work for a big organisation and have to deal with the general public with all their funny foibles. Now I work in a supermarket bakery and one of Dr. Copperfield's job perks is when patients don't turn up for their alloted ten minute appointments. I sympathise and wished our customers didn't turn up also. NHS management who enquire about surgery budgets going over. I have supermarket management memos complaining about out of date bread that hasn't sold. This is from the same management that told me how many to bake in the first place. I'm sure everyone recognises some aspects of their own job in this book. highly recommended. We all need a good laugh, that is the best medicine. Can also recommend for a good laugh WRITE AGAIN VOL 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality of being a GP, 12 July 2012
First book I've read cover to cover since I was about 8, its that addictive, if you are a interested in medicine or just want an insight into a GP's life. He can be a arguably 'harsh/non PC) on patients with some comments, but that's what makes it so interesting to read, he is human and comes across like one in the text. Not for someone looking for 'cheesy' I'm a doctor and I love my job and its the best thing in the world literature. This is reality uncut....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fun in 2013, 19 Aug 2013
A good read, my best this year. Had me rocking with laughter too often. Remember to look in the mirror. Highly recommended