I have Muscular Dystrophy and always seem to be dropping things at home, usually my phone, and then either have to kick it over to a chair so I can sit down and get it, or get someone (usually my husband) to pick it up (or wait until he comes home if he isn't there).

Published 14 months ago by Sara Stacey

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought the high cost would be better than a prvious version that broke Only suitable for ...
rubbish at picking up small items. Thought the high cost would be better than a prvious version that broke
Only suitable for collecting litter/rubbish in the garden
Published 2 months ago by jafasaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Ever so helpful - Hubby now gets a rest for picking things up for me, 9 Aug 2013
Sara Stacey (Wickford, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Helping Hand Company Classic Reacher, Length: 82cm (32")

My husband told me one night he had brought me a present and advised me he had brought me this handy gadget. It arrived today and I've been playing with it for a few hours! It's light weight and the trigger is really easy to squeeze and the perfect length. I also like that it's not just plain grey and medical looking. It's perfect for picking things up from the floor plus getting things out of cupboards or high up shelves without stretching which is perfect being 5f4. The only thing I found hard to pick up (while playing around with it and normal items I drop) was our Samsung TV remote control as it is small and curved so the grabber couldn't get a tight hold so I have to grab it with the grabber and quickly pull it up and grab it before it slipped. It worked well with paper, money and keys.

Now if they could just invent one that folders up really tiny for my handbag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping Hand Reacher, length 32", 19 April 2013
A nifty little gadget picks up paper and pins (with the magnet attachment) and any bits around the house.
Ideal for anyone who finds bending down awkward or impossible. I'm almost tempted to use it in the local park where people drop cans and littler - that would mean buying a second one! fortunately we do have a park attendant here in the Roding Valley. I'm 5 ft so this length is suitable for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping Hand Reacher 32", 5 Mar 2013
Practical and useful product. exactly what my wife and I needed.Useful magnet for metal objects and ruberised grab prong for picking up paper

5.0 out of 5 stars An aid to more independence, 11 Aug 2013
I have bought two of these Reachers now - one for my mother-in-law who has very restricted mobility and lives alone, and one for my partner who has had a stroke. The length of the Reacher allows dropped items to be picked up whether you are standing or sitting down. Although it may look a bit flimsy from the pictures, it is actuallu quite robust and able to pick up items like a phone handset or a dropped walking stick from the floor. I guess it would be useful for reaching items from the backs of cupboards or under beds too.

The magnet in the tip is not incredibly stong, but for small items up to, say, a small pair of scissors, it works well. The grabbing claw is nice and secure and allows some quite fine manipulation and the trigger mechanism is easy to use.

A very useful tool which can give anyone who has trouble bending and stretching a little more independence and confidence around the home.

5.0 out of 5 stars helping hand, 13 April 2013
I,m post operation,and everything I needed seemed to be out of reach,but not anymore thanks to the classic reacher.thanks so much

5.0 out of 5 stars GrandmaE, 18 Mar 2013
This is very useful as I have spinal arthritus and bending to pick things up is one thing I can no longer do. The product is strong and sturdy and picks even quite heavy things up . thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy device!, 5 Feb 2013
This is a very useful and practical accessory for anyone with difficulty in bending or reaching.
Quite robust and very practical and inexpensive.
Better than other similar type aids purchased in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 18 Mar 2014
I Have tried many helping hands this is the best by far you dont need to look at anymore Buy this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and constructed, 8 May 2014
D. R. Higgins "Tober" (Co Antrim) - See all my reviews
This device is light, easy to use and very effective. It can effectively and firmly grab and convey articles of a wide range of sizes. The magnet on its tip is quite strong and therefore very useful. In addition to these practical merits it is brightly coloured and is therefore a cheerful addition to the domestic environment. I wish that more devices designed to assist the disabled were similarly finished. Being surrounded by an endless vista of metallic grey and dark maroon does little to lift the spirits.
So, get one of these little gadgets and bring some sunshine into your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing... really helped post surgery and will continue to use, 22 Mar 2014
30yr old female suffering from sciatica and prolapsed disc, bending stretching and carrying is a problem. Having just had back surgery, this little contraption has become my new best friend. Making me stop and think before i instantly try and make life awkward for myself, that now I dont have to. When things are just that little too high or low, theres now no need for awkward reaching. With its sturdy frame, rubber gripper claw, hook and magnetised end, this has given me a little independence back, through my recovery. Really really impressed. Extremely satisfied with it.

The Helping Hand Company Classic Reacher, Length: 82cm (32")