4.0 out of 5 stars Raleigh Moon lights
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by L K GRICE

1.0 out of 5 stars Initially very happy, but they do not last...
When I fist received these, I was very happy with the quality and the functionality (USB charging is a must for me, as I charge the lights on my work PC).

Published 16 months ago by Simon Deane Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Raleigh Moon lights, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Raleigh Moon Black Front and Rear LED USB Rechargable Bike / Cycle Lights (Misc.)
The size of these is one of the most surprising things about them no doubt! This makes them easy to carry, even in your pocket, and helps with one of the other features i will mention later. The light power is however signifcant enough to light up a very dark road and ensure you are seen from a considerable distanc. The usb charging is truly handy and ensures wherever i am i don't need to worry about power before i set off. The red warning light letting you know they need charging is particularly handy. The blue light that then lets you know they are charging/charged is equally good. They are easily attached using a rubber strap which appears robust enough so far to give a tight grip. The ease of manuerving them when attached in all planes ensures that you can get the light to go in the directon you want. The only things i have found is if left on your bike for 24 hours in the cold they will start to flash to say they need recharging so would suggest taking them off whenever you leave your bike and keeping them in doors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little lights, 20 Sep 2011
These lights are very small -- about the size of your average USB stick. For their size, though, they are very bright. I don't use mine alone -- my bike has steady dynamo lights that I use as well, but I wanted something that had a flashing mode as a supplement. I prefer to cycle around looking like a Christmas tree. I love the fact that these are rechargeable -- it keeps me from keeping my lights off until it is "really dark" to save batteries. I turn them on even during the day. The little rubber strap lets you attach the lights to anything. I attach the front one to my handlebars and the back one to the wire basket I have on my back rack.

One little issue I have is that the rubber strap makes the lights slightly too thick to charge on my laptop easily. I have an old Macbook, which is relatively thin but not the size of an Air or anything, and I have to prop up my computer in order for the lights to fit into the USB port. A better design would have been to have the strap on the top side when charging, but if you have a desktop or a thicker computer, this shouldn't be a problem. I've been charging my lights on the desktop at work, mostly. I'm not sure how long the battery power actually lasts -- I tend to charge mine about twice a week now just to be safe (when the low battery light hasn't come on yet) but may charge them more often when it starts getting dark early.

Overall, I'm happy with them. They do what they are supposed to, and now I no longer have to worry about buying batteries. If you are trying to buy lights to use as your only light, I might check out the ones that are a little bigger (there's one made by the same company that seems to have 2-3 bulbs instead of 1).

1.0 out of 5 stars Initially very happy, but they do not last..., 28 Dec 2012

During the summer months they work fine, and the battery life is merely OK - but what do you expect, they are quite small, and charging is easy on the work PC, or via an AC cable (with USB extension cable - A USB cable like a phone charging will not work, you need a port).

However, after one small rain shower on the way home from work, the housing leaked water in and irreparably damaged the rear light - it would not switch on independently, only working wehn plugged in to a USB socket. To top it off, 3 days later, I removed the front light from my handlebars and the very small thin screw that holds the strap onto the body snaped off, rendering the front light useless.

Neither of the issues I have had are covered under the warranty, and you also have to return it to Hong Kong (where they are made), so very unhelpful on the customer service.

In summary, Initially I was very impressed with the technology and the size, however, the build quality, lack of customer service and the inability to survive a rain shower has poisoned me against moon lights forever... Avoid and spend a little more money on some better quality lights if you need them for more that a one-off journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Lights, 23 Dec 2011
Brilliant little things. Really bright and re-chargeable so just give them a blast on the work computer so your never caught out in the dark, literally!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and easy to use bike lights, 25 Nov 2011
I have had these lights for about a month and have used them almost every day as the nights draw in. So far they have been great. They are small enough to fit easily and neatly into the pocket of my hi - vis jacket, yet they power out plenty of light so that I can be seen as I cycle home. The front light is average if you want it as a single light source when cycling along unlit roads. I really like the fact that they can be recharged via a USB input, which means that I can keep them topped up at work and home and not have to worry about fading batteries. What is also brilliant is the low level warning light flashing to let me know that they need re-charging - that's intelligent design. The rubber clip fitting means that they can be usefully adjusted to fit onto many different parts of my bike. Perhaps my only concern is how long the rubber clip might last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 1 in 3 chance of it working, 24 Oct 2013
I've bought 3 of these little blighters, recently. Only 1 has ever worked. That's pretty poor. I'm going to try a different manufacturer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Desirable product, but not without faults!, 11 Mar 2013
Very usable item due to its size. Can be easily removed from bike and kept in pocket , bag or house. Very bright light for its size. However, these lights offer very little protection in even a light shower. My rear light got wet in the lightest of showers and gave very intermittent results: would turn itself on and sometimes would not be able to turn it off!. My lights do not last longer than 2/3 hours, making long journeys in bad light a bit of a gamble. Lastly, they are difficult to charge on a laptop; the rubber cable gets in the way meaning you have to prop the laptop up.

In summary, I do not regret buying but would be very cautious about setting off in dark/damp conditions on a long ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars present, 5 Mar 2013
Laura (Scarborough) - See all my reviews
bought as a present. easy to charge as they have a usb attachment - very bright light is given off too

4.0 out of 5 stars Bike lights, 19 Jan 2013
Very quick and easy to fix onto bike. Perfect for my son on his way to and from school. Quick and easy to recharge. Charge last a long time. Arrived quickly and well packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrealised potential, 16 Jan 2013
N. Desai (London) - See all my reviews
The seller was excellent throughout the purchase - delivery of the item came well ahead of the Christmas break. Unfortunately, one of the lights did not work and I had to return the item, but again the seller was prompt and courteous throughout the process which would give me confidence to use them again if I decide to try to re-order.

The light from the one that worked was quite powerful given the size of the item and the USB recharging is a vital requirement rather than running from a battery.

Unfortunately I was unable to try out the items outside to assess how far ahead/behind the lights actually lit up and how visible they made the bike, but based on the limited test in a dark room against the wall on the other side of the room, it seemed as through they would be adequate for the job.

ARRAY(0xa3dc23c0)