4.0 out of 5 stars A life journey through the 1900's
Published on 6 Feb 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars The house by princes park
This was a very good book but with a lot of characters in it confusing at times but still enjoyable
Published 4 months ago by muriel williamson

4.0 out of 5 stars A life journey through the 1900's, 6 Feb 2003
By A Customer
I loved this book, the general jist is that you follow the life of a lady called Ruby, you almost become a part of her family as you watch it grow and experience the happiness and heartache that they all face throughout the war and right up to the Millenium. By the end of the book you'll feel the family really exists and you'll be sorry to see the back of them. I have also read and enjoyed "Lights out Liverpool" by Maureen Lee and will certainly be reading other books by this author in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from what I expected but in a good way, 8 Dec 2013
Leigh - See all my reviews
I think after reading the back of this book I thought the story would be more about the people who come to stay at this house and then go away again once they land on their feet, while the main character Ruby cares for them. It was completely different from that. I would almost describe this story as a fictionalized biography as we follow Ruby O'Hagan from before she is even born, until she is in her eighties. The story remains steadily focused on Ruby throughout but does branch off to focus on her children and eventually grandchildren but the main theme is Ruby and that she has turned the House by Princes Park into a safe haven for all her family to go to. All of the characters were incredibly written, I know there would be moments I would be furious with Ruby or one of the other girls, and then something would be said about them and I would suddenly realize that I was guilty of doing the same thing that character had done. No one here is perfect, not even close. There is a lot of character growth and development throughout the book, not just in Ruby but in everyone. I did enjoy this book, it was fairly light reading and after reading a book dealing with more serious content it was a welcome relief to enjoy a relaxing story of family and the ties that bind us all together. I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys family sagas or even enjoys reading about the history of the 1900's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The House by Princes Park, 3 Jun 2009
P. E. Gadd (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
A brilliant book - just what you would expect from Maureen Lee. I just didn't want to put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Nov 2009
S. Perkins "Sharon booklover" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love Maureen Lee books. I specially loved 'The old house on the corner' and believe I have read that more than any of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Kindle Edition)
Lovely story, enjoyed reading every word. Quite a lot to learn how well one can live with very little money but such determination. One could feel the despair of so much tragedy and heartache, but there are some lovely warm parts that warrant mentioning regarding the family love and commitments. A lovely read, am glad I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
brilliant read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Kindle Edition)
This is a really good book. It is the second one of hers I have read.
I can't put it down.
I would recommend it and look forward to reading more Maureen Lee books

5.0 out of 5 stars M Lee, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Kindle Edition)
Yet another fine book from what as become my favourite writer.
Intend to buy more of her works, just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a warning!!!, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The House By Princes Park (Kindle Edition)
If you have things to do at home don't read this book! Once you do you will never be able to put it down. Maureen Lees's way of writing transports you into the story. I come from Merseyside and it was like being transported into my childhood. Her characters are so real you feel as though you know them personally. I'm gradually ploughing my way through all her books but have left some for when I am on holiday and resisting the urge to start another one is huge. Great read wonderful writer. Don't miss out on reading all her books.

The House By Princes Park