on 25 February 2011
I can only agree with the review by F Tang who has summed it up perfectly. I actually binned a set of half decent 2.1 speakers in favour of this soundbar in order to reduce the ever increasing number of cables behind my desk which, when I am not watching, knit themselves into a medium sized cardigan.
The sound is not as good but as I normally use headphones for music I was happy to trade this for a clear desktop.
Incidentally, for Dell monitors without the pass through connector the soundbar is exactly the same but includes a power adapter.
on 31 December 2014
As anybody can tell from the price that this unit is being sold for, it is not a device that would satisfy anyone requiring anything more than a very basic audio system. However with that point made, this small unit is a simple, but in my opinion a much better sounding, alternative to the inbuilt speakers found inside most small TV's and PC monitors - it doesn't pretend to be any thing else.

Dell have hit the mark with this unit being extremely simple to install and powered from the monitor itself, there is only one flying cable that connects into the PC audio out jack - and off you go. Sound quality for a unit this size is more than adequate for chat applications, listening to YouTube dialogue/music and for listening to any other audio media as long as you're not too critical.

The two 3.5mm headphone sockets and the off / on / volume control are in easy-to-get-to locations at each end of the unit and although some people complain in their reviews about the white led strip which iindicates that the unit is 'active' - I personally find it quite decorative.

If there is a negative criticism to make, and it Is a fairly minor one, it would be nice to have the ability to also disconnect this audio cable at the soundbar itself (since it is wired directly into the unit) so moving the monitor around at a later date wouldn't require me to scrabble around the back of my tower unit to locate and pull out the jack plug. But I'm just being extremely picky here.

For the price and performance - and even the neat looks of the device, this was money well spent.
Well done Dell !!
on 22 February 2011
These speakers clip onto the bottom of my Dell UltraSharp 2007FPW. They fit perfectly.

The sound is fair: I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. I just want to be able to hear the sound to the odd youtube video every now and then.

Things that are good about the speakers:
- neat and tidy - when clipped to the bottom of the monitor, the cables can be mostly hidden and there is no need for a separate power brick
- powers off when the monitor powers off or goes into power-saving (no need to worry about forgetting to switch off the speakers)

What's a bit annoying: the speakers power off when the monitor goes into power-saving mode. Keep this in mind if you intend to play music from your computer and not actually type or use the mouse.

(Note that these speakers require power from the monitor so they will not work with all Dell monitors.)
on 29 May 2015
Fast dispatch - item arrived bang in the middle of the estimated delivery period 12-14 May 2015.

Fitted to P2210 monitor with minimal fuss and the DC power socket on the base of the monitor means that there is only a single cable running to the PC sound card - even though the P2210 isn't listed as compatible as it isn't an Ultrasharp monitor. You need to check that there is a 12V dc power socket under the bottom edge of the monitor and that it has two locating clips on the rear of the monitor at the bottom (spaced approx 12cm apart). If your monitor has these, it is likely this soundbar will fit (see bottom of this review for a full list of compatible monitors taken off the euro.Dell.com website).

Soundbar fits underneath the monitor and (a) looks classy, (b) saves desktop real estate and (c) has easily accessible controls and sockets.

Sound is pretty decent too. OK - it lacks in bass (it's not a piece of HiFi) but what do you expect for a slim-line computer speaker?

For me, the benefits of just one cable (rather than 2 or 3 or more that other speakers would require) and the fact that it attaches to the monitor itself - meaning it is unobtrusive and doesn't take up extra space on the desk - outweigh the lack of bass mentioned above. Another benefit is the easily accessible on/off volume control on the rhs and two headphone jacks on the lhs of the unit.

What I don't like is the bright white LED strip (behind the speaker grille) that illuminates when the speakers are on - what is wrong with a simple red (or nowadays, fashionable blue) to indicate that the unit is powered. That said, it is a minor gripe.

Full list of compatible monitors (UltraSharp and Professional Series Flat Panel Displays)

Dell 1708FPf, 1908FPt, 1909W, 1909Wf, P170S, P170St, P190S, P2010H, P2210, P2210H, P2210T, P2310H, P2311H, SE198WFP, SP1908FP, SP2009W, SP2208WFP

Dell Professional 1909W, P170S, P190S, P2010H, P2210, P2210 AIO, P2210 PLHD, P2210H, P2211H, P2310H, P2311H, P2311HM

Dell UltraSharp 1707FPV, 1708FP, 1708FP-BLK, 1708FPt, 1907FPV, 1907FPVt, 1908FP, 1908FP HAS, 1908FPC, 1908FPT, 1908WFP, 1908WFPt, 1909W, 1909W AIO USFF, 1909W All-In-One, 1909W SFF AIO, 1909Wb, 1909Wf, 2007FP, 2007WFP, 2009W, 2009WFP, 2208WFP, 2208WFP AIO SFF, 2209WA, 2407WFP, 2407WFP-HC, 2408WFP, 2707WFP, 2709W, 3007WFP, 3007WFP-HC, 3008WFP, 3008WFP Superview, U2410

Hope this helps,

Art
on 26 September 2014
First, and most importantly - the sound quality. It is NOT top-tier, but if you're looking for that, you'd be looking at dedicated speakers anyway. I personally use these for casual gaming and listening to music, and while I can't hear the artists take breaths between lyrics, it's certainly good enough for everyday use.

Now, with a model U2412M monitor (I can't vouch for any other models), no additional products are needed to run this thing. It comes with a power cable (which is short, and draws power directly from your monitor) and an audio cable (longer, and runs into your audio source - i.e. the green sound slot on your computer).

The product is larger than the image would suggest - it spans about 2/3 of a 24" monitor (width-wise), and it extends about an inch underneath the monitor bezel, so bear that in mind if you prefer keeping your monitor lower to the desk.

All in all, these have replaced my old speakers, and my desk looks a lot neater now. If you're looking for top-notch audio quality, though, I would certainly advise looking elsewhere.
on 16 May 2016
Okay as an incredibly basic speaker for the most basic of sounds. If all you want it for its the bleeps and blogs of your OS then it doers the job just fine. If you want to enjoy video or music you will come across its limitations very quickly. However, this is a neat solution for a great monitor. Personally I would go for a good set of desktop speakers. I barely used this as I needed more.
on 21 July 2012
I recently bought a DELL 24" U2412M monitor (which I'm very happy with) and only subsequently found out about this "soundbar".

My little Logitech speakers were OK but the tangle of wires really annoyed me (and I've knocked one of the speakers off the desk more than once!) so this DELL AX510 Soundbar seemed like a good solution.

However, there was more than a little hesitation on my part because the DELL website (and other places) didn't have the U2412M in the list of compatible monitors. The more expensive DELL AY511 Soundbar (with "virtual sound") DID have the U2412M on its compatible list but (presumably because it's more powerful!) it could not be connected to the monitor's pass-through power socket. I didn't need better sound and I definitely wanted to avoid another power "brick" littering my floor and using electricity even when the computer was switched off.

BUT, the U2412M DOES have a pass-through power socket and DOES have the two little fixings for attaching a soundbar. I therefore took a chance and ordered the AX510 on Amazon for an excellent price of £16.99 (including delivery) from Silicon Connect Ltd. The parcel arrived three days later, impressively protected in bubble wrap. I think I took longer extracting the soundbar from the wrapping than I did attaching it to the U2412M and connecting it up to the computer.

Needless to say, it works absolutely fine and I'm very pleased with my purchase.
88 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2010
A great addition to my dell monitor. Fits smartly underneath, power from monitor, so no extra power leads. Sounds good, possibly lacking a bit of bass. Volume control on the side is useful as well.

You can actually plug in two headphones as well.
on 12 May 2014
Good value at less than £10 including delivery. speaker just clips to the back of my SP2208 monitor, plug in the attached power and audio leads - there's a power socket in the back of the monitor for this purpose - and audio lead into sound card on PC. Job done. Took all of 5mins from unpacking to installation. Volume knob on the end right (looking at the speaker) also turns speaker on/off but it powers off when the monitor is switched off and there's 2 head phone sockets on the end left. The speaker isn't the full width of my monitor being just 33.5cm wide but fits neatly and doesn't look out of place. There is a fairly bright white light in the centre of the speaker showing on/off status which is a little distracting so far but probably because I'm not used to seeing it there yet.

Sound quality is acceptable for a small stereo speaker at this price. Anyone wanting better audio isn't looking in the right price range. Certainly good enough for watching youtube or background music while working. Very satisfied both with the speaker and the seller.
on 23 June 2012
Perfect for my needs. I only need this for light web browsing, watching YouTube videos and playing dumb flash games on the web. I use decent Sennheiser headphones for music/movies and gaming, and I bought these knowing its not going to offer anything resembling good audio. Its a cheap and compact sound solution for dell monitors and looks good. Clip it onto the back of the monitor, plug the power cord in and you're good to go. When its powered on, a cool looking central led strip lights up. It saves space and having to put speakers and cables all over your desk. Another bonus is the speakers power off when the monitor powers off. The sound quality is somewhat like those really cheap and tacky plug in speakers you buy for an ipod. It's not good, but it makes sound and does the job.

Buy this if you want to save clutter and are not looking for a quality audio solution. I wouldn't listen to music or game with these speakers. For under £20 its a steal. 4*.