on 21 September 2013
This is a fantastic keyboard. I love the chunkier style keys over the flatter ones that seem to be the most popular ones on the market at the moment which feel like they have the perfect resistance and are also nice and quiet.

The backlit effect is really nice too, and I love the fact you're able to change the colours to a decent selection of your own choice.

I only have a couple of issues with it. I personally would have liked a slightly higher raised position, and the feet only have one position. Up, or down. They don't extend like some keyboards I've seen which kind of surprised me for a keyboard of this cost.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, the media keys are quite stiff and require a firm press in just the right position to get to work.

Finally, and this isn't really going to be much of an issue for some people, the keyboard requires 2 USB ports to function. I understand that this will be because the lights and keyboard itself require separate power supplies, but it wasn't something I was expecting. Since I'm using a keyboard, mouse and monitor to extend a laptop (since I don't have a desktop), this means 2 out of only 3 USB ports are used up straight away, and they don't seem to work in a USB hub expander.

Like I say, those minor issues out the way, this is a fantastic keyboard that I'm very happy with.
on 1 July 2012
I don't know if it's just me but the left shift key feels really awkward to press compared to the other buttons. Other than that issue, outstanding keyboard with many options and colour schemes. Works flawlessly with an m11x laptop.

Update:

If you are using windows 8 you will have to run the setup exe through administrator on the CD. unfortunately I could not find updated drivers for non dell systems.
on 12 January 2012
I bought this keyboard as a replacement for my Logitech G15 blue backlight keyboard which still works after four years but the backlight has faded to the point where only the middle of the keyboard lights up so I felt it was time to buy a new keyboard. The build quality on this keyboard is outstanding and installation was a breeze, changing the backlight was very easy as all the software you need is on the driver and utility disc that comes with the keyboard (AlienFX Controller), The fact that the keys light up around the keys as well as in the middle of the keys means it lights up better than the G15 originally did. This is also a very comfortable keyboard to type on, the keys have a nice rubber feel to them instead of a cheap plastic feel. Anyone looking to buy a decent gaming keyboard with a bright backlight and easy colour customization scheme, I would highly recommend this keyboard as it ticks all the boxes.
on 28 May 2013
Really pleased with this quality product and I am a keyboard collector. As the title says on a non Dell system running Win7 32bit the command centre software will not install and the keyboard will be blue lights only. According to the dell system requirements on their website all other versions of windows are fine. I read up on this and many people have the same issues.

Installed 64bit windows and it all worked instantly. The ability to change the colors depending on my mood or desktop means hopefully this lovely keyboard will never get boring. Good service from my Seller. I did not realise I had ordered from outside the UK but it didn't affect delivery times in anyway.
on 13 May 2012
Love this keyboard.

No more fumbling around in the dark for the keys (a good way to learn to touch-type!).

A word of warning though to potential buyers. This keyboard has 2 (TWO) USB cables. I guess one for the light show and the other for the usual keyboard stuff.
I am willing to accept the dual USB requirements, as you can get USB hubs pretty cheap these days, and I like the idea of personalising the colour display on my keyboard. I mean, I love tailoring gadgets and stuff to not be the same as everyone else.

I've not gotten round to setting up macros yet (waiting for Guild Wars 2 to sort that stuff out).

I love the little bits of functionality that comes with the keyboard, the windows lockout switch that stops windows accepting windows keys - pretty annoying when gaming and you accidentally press any of the windows configured keys.

The sound mute button useful but would've rocked if there was a microphone mute button as well, but it still gets 5 stars from me.

Three different keyboard modes/configurations to program as well .. pretty useful for someone who uses different setups for different scenarios.

The keyboard may not be cheap, but you'll be getting your moneys worth with this one.

As a side note: My PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate (64) and is not a Dell/Alienware PC. I bought the parts and built it all myself (custom build). In case you're wondering/worried if it works with non-Dell/Alienware PCs - for me it does.

Go on, treat yourself, get a keyboard your friends etc. will be jealous of!
on 5 March 2013
Initially I was skeptical when bought this keyboard, I've never purchased one quite as expensive as this and I wanted one that would last me for years, after seeing many positive reviews I decided to pick one up, and it's great.

The back light is gorgeous, when you first plug it in it'll look quite dim but after installing the software on the disc that comes with it, it will quickly brighten up. You get a variety of colours to choose from including multiple shades of Purple, Blue, Orange, Green etc. and they all look great especially when you find one that matches your setup, desktop wallpaper etc, you can also change the colour of the top part of the keyboard with the logo separately from the rest of the keyboard, allowing you to mix and match if you'd like.

The keyboard gives you media keys with the option to increase and decrease sound, mute all sound, pause, rewind and stop videos and it also allows for custom key setups, six of them can be created which are bound to the keys on the far left hand side and can be switched between by simply pressing them, at first these were troublesome because your hand would automatically go over to them when typing out of habit, but you soon get used to it and they aren't a worry after that, they're also not mandatory.

It also comes with a detachable wrist pad which is a nice addition, the keys are somewhat deep and have a smooth feel to them, the letters become nicely illuminated when the back light is active.

I'd also like to add that I had no issues installing the software on this keyboard whatsoever, everything is as straightforward as can be.

Possibly my only complaint here is that while the keyboard is very nice, it doesn't seem worth the current price tag and feels like it should have been in the £40-50 range instead, If you can find one for that price then it's fantastic, but at £70 there ARE keyboards out there that offer more features than this one, and mechanical ones.

I recommend watching some reviews on YouTube to see what it's like in action and if it suits your own tastes. But judging it as it is, I see nothing I dislike about it, that's why it gets a 5/5 from me.
on 4 January 2014
What I like:
- The software, easy to use, quick to install, lots of colours to choose from and macros to set.
- An example of the software excelling competitors is whilst playing Metro: Last Light the keys change colour and brightness depending on how light it is in the game.
- The keys are quiet and have a nice feedback (I am not a fan of mechanical)
- The switch to turn the windows key on/off
- The macro keys and the three profiles
- Very comfy keyboard to rest and type on

What could be improved:
- The media keys are quite hard to press, they take quite a bit of force which is not a complaint as such as they are satisfying to press
- More independantly controlled colour zones, eg: allowing WASD to be a different colour to the rest of the keys.
- The feet at the back of keyboard that allow it to stand up only have 1 setting which I have now adjusted to but I would like to be able to make the keyboard higher up off the desk and come stands near the wrist rest would be good too.

What I really don't like:
- A small thing, but the whole keyboard is coated in a nice black matt finish, yet the wrist rest is just plastic while it doesn't look out of place, it doesn't feel as nice as the matted finish.

Overall, an excellent purchase. Looks great, works great, feels great and hopefully it will last me a long time.
on 7 August 2011
This was my first purchase of Alienware hardware and I was really pleased with both the build quality and features.

The software that comes bundles with the keyboard makes changing the backlit colours scheme a dodle!.

The keyboard is really good to use, and superb for gaming. I highly recommend this.
on 5 April 2013
Had been looking at one of these for a while and trying to decide if it was a worthy purchase or not and am now wishing I'd bought one a long time ago. The keyboards action feels a little wooly at first as it doesn't really clunk like a lot of keyboards do, it's really not an issue though as the action is very precise - just quiet. Anyone used to Alienware will know all about Alienware Command Centre, for those that don't it's the software that allows you to set the colours for the illumination in two areas, all the keys and the media controls at the top can be set in a range of colours, it's not as comprehensive as the control software you get with an Alienware laptop (mine's an m15X) in that you can't make the colours cycle or flash for that migraine inducing look but it's good none the less.

One thing that is fairly obvious is that these are made by Logictech, anyone who's had a G15 for example will recognise the interface for setting up/programming the programmable keys, it feels very similar to the Logitech interface - whether that's a good or bad thing I'll leave people to decide for themselves but for what it's worth it doesn't really bother me.

I have only found one thing that I don't like and that is the build quality isn't as good as it could be, if you put any kind of downward pressure on the keyboard near the spacebar, the whole thing bends, wouldn't really have taken much to have some kind of contact with the desk it's sat on to stop this happening - it's not a deal breaker for me but it takes the edge off of what would have been a very close to perfect product. This is not enough however for me to only give 4 stars, this is still a very good keyboard.
on 19 October 2015
Very pleased with my keyboard. I have a Dell Alienware system, but chose not to buy the keyboard at the time as Dell were charging a fortune for it and I had use of another keyboard. When I saw this available on Amazon at around £50 I snapped one up. I see they are now retailing at £82 as of the date of this review. The lighting system is really great as it matches and links in with the Alienware Command Centre software, that allows the keyboard to use custom lighting based on any themes you set. There are custom keys that can be programmed with macros as needed and a switch that will allow you to turn off the Windows Keys if required. The keys have a tactile feel, and with the illuminated keys, makes typing in low light levels a breeze. Overall I am very pleased and would recommend this keyboard.