I didn't like this book at all. Most chapters gave me no insight at all into beautiful architectures.

Example 1: there is a whole chapter dedicated to the architecture of Emacs. The chapter starts by saying Emacs went against all principles of designing a good architecture but just somehow came about. (Not my words). What does a chapter like this do in a book about beautiful architectures then?

Second example: there is a whole chapter dedicated to argueing that certain functional constructs can be better expressed using OO proramming. This purely academic argument, by the biggest proponent of OO (Bertrand Meyer), is in my opinion not at all giving insight into beautiful architectures.

The rest of the chapters are interesting but not particularly that deep as to when it comes to architecture. I wS expecting to learn about scaling architectures, loose versus tight coupling, reliability, etc. Unfortunately none of that.

To summarize: a mediocre collection of articles, very little to do with architecting software ...