4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, Signal Strength and Firmware Updates.
After some initial confusion about firmware updates I was very impressed with this router. I would have rated 5/5 if it wasn't for the firmware issue as it's not mentioned in the manual.

Vote useful if you need a firmware installation guide, I have included below.

Published 23 months ago by bob

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable
Unfortunately this product was somewhat unstable with the connection regularly stalling and having to reset. The stick itself was operating fine and in the same location plugged into a PC it worked flawlessly. I own other TP-Link products that are really superb, so this product was unfortunately a let down.
Published 17 months ago by fwdlink

4.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility, Signal Strength and Firmware Updates., 11 Mar. 2013

Vote useful if you need a firmware installation guide, I have included below.

Compatibility - Purchased a 3 network (using in the UK) Huawei e353 dongle and it worked straight out of the box with no firmware updates. Had an old e1550 dongle by Huawei that I couldn't get to work, even though was stated on the TP-Link website that it was supported.

Signal Strength - I love in a large old 3 bed flat with solid brick walls between every room and I get full signal on my mac, and cheap £100 tablet in every room.

THERE IS NO INSTRUCTIONS on how to do a firmware update. So, for those people who have dongles that should be compatible with this device and cannot figure this out, here's how:

Download the latest firmware from the TP-Link site.

Save it to desktop for ease of access or wherever you please.

Plug in the router and connect to you're PC/Mac via the ethernet cable as described in the user manual.

Type the TP-Link IP address (192.168.0.1 is default) and enter you're user/account name and password (admin, admin is default).

Look down the left hand side menu and select 'System Tools'.

In this drop down menu select 'Firmware Upgrade'.

Copy and paste the location of the firmware upgrade you downloaded or select browse and locate the file that way.

Click upgrade.

VOILA.

Hope this helps someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh you beauty!, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: TP-Link TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router (Accessory)
I was expecting the usual frustrations and irritations in setting up this sort of thing - I was wrong! The web interface is great - no surprises, everything where you would expect it, and everything is responsive and intuitive and does what you expect. And every page in the interface has its own on-page Help - useful explanations written in actual intelligible English by someone who apparently knows what they are talking about and can communicate. Just brilliant.

Setup was a breeze, and I was all up and running in 10 minutes flat. Thank you TP-Link - way to go! A number of big-name manufacturers who should know better could learn a lot from what TP-Link are doing here.

If I had one teensy criticism - it is that by default the wireless is turned on and unsecured. That's not smart, and that and the default admin password is the first thing you want to change when you set it up. Only other things I had to configure were on the Wireless screen where you tell it you are in the UK for wifi, and on the 3G screen where you tell it your country (UK again) and 3G provider ('Three' in my case).

It worked perfectly with a Huawei E353 on the 'Three' network, which is one of the dongles that TP-Link have on their compatibility list ( [...] ). It also worked seamlessly with my Huawei E169, which isn't on the list - just plugged it in and away it went.

A great easy-to-use and trouble-free bit of kit.

NOTE: The March 2012 firmware (120309) omits some of the info on the status page (bad TP-Link - have docked you a star for this). In the 3G section of the Status page it tells you the dongle model and the 3G signal strength. But with the 120309 firmware this info is missing (even though the help on that page still refers to the now non-existent Signal Strength heading). So I have rolled-back to the 110418 firmware (happily still available on the TP-Link downloads page), which has that info in the Status page and is good.

ANOTHER NOTE: In May 2012 they released v120503 of the firmware, and that reinstated the 3G signal strength bar. Now running on that and all is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought to use with Huawei E3256 dongle, 14 April 2013
Bought this to replace the previous Version 1 MR3420 as the old version does not work with the new DC-HSDPA+ Huawei E3256 dongle from '3'. There seems to be a lot of confusion with listings as to whether the actual product received will be Version 1 or Version 2. TP-Link Support put me on to this exact listing and it is indeed the version 2. I should add that TP_Link support were very quick to answer my email queries.
A small problem I found which may help others is that the newer Huawei E3256 dongle is very reluctant to work when used with a 5m extension (as per my old set-up) and I managed to get this working by adding a ferrite core choke to the extension. There are no such problems when using my old Huawei E323 dongle. My internet speed with the new dongle has now doubled and is consistently around 6MB (yes appalling but I am only on one bar in a very rural location).
Very much recommended. Dual-band would have been nice but this is such a good price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product was too Unstable, 13 Aug. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK - Great little product and great price, 24 Jan. 2012
This TP-LINK Router is a great little product, looks and feels a lot more expensive too. I've set up my office in garage at the rear of my house which yet doesn't have a landline. After reading up on 3G Routers I decided to take the plunge and go with the TP-LINK product. Once I received the router I followed the set-up wizzard, installed my T-mobile modem and hey presto up and running within minutes and this little router also allows me to connect to my Ipad and my desktop PC.

All my worries gone - Thanks Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly, Compatiblitly, 20 May 2012
Jeffrey Hartley (Uk) - See all my reviews
We live in a remote place with terrible mobile and broadband coverage, also frequent powercuts which leave us with no way of contacting help. I hoped that buying this, I would at least have a connection to the internet via it and our netbook. I had a 3G dongle which was on the approved list for this router but the ISP (3) does not cover our location so I had the dongle unlocked and put in a Giffgaff sim which does cover us, what could go wrong? Well just about everything. Suddenly the dongle is no longer recognised. It appears it is only recognised when a 3 sim is in it which is useless to me. I do have one glimmer of hope, an O2 dongle which I'm told will work and I will see if it does.

Featurewise, this tiny box, 3" square has more features than some standalone routers costing 4 times the price. Other than the 3G, which I cannot use yet, it is an amazing piece of technology and the reason I still give it 5 stars. Used as an access point (AP) it is incredibly easy to use, just plug it into your router or network socket, set the switch to AP and you have wireless access with full WPA2 security. It comes with a power supply, mine was a european 2 pin jobbie so requires an adapter but units delivered from the UK will have UK PSU's I'm informed. I really am very inpressed with this little device, there is even an online community devoted to reprogramming it to do all sorts of other things and if my O2 dongle shennanigins don't pan out, I may have a look into doing just that.

So, CHECK YOUR DONGLE IS ON THE COMPATIBILTY LIST before buying, not ony the dongle model but the ISP (O2, 3, Voda) must match too and hopefully you will not be dissapointed.

Edit: Since writing the above, I've discovered that this router is very sensitive to which power supply you use. I had tried using a 7000ah battery pack used for powering and charging my iPhone which outputs 5v 1A but no way will the router work, neither will the 3G work when plugged into a USB socket but plug in it's own PSU and everything works as promised. Strange. I have a feeling that the addition of the 3G dongle is causing more power to be drawn and some internal protection circuitry or software prevents the router from activating the dongle. So, mystery solved and I'm even happier than I was before :-).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but why no UK plug, 21 Dec. 2012
Great. Easy to set up, by simply following the instructions and I would not rate myself as very IT savvy. I use 3 ZTE MF112 dongle and didn't have to download any extra TP Link software for use in UK. It does just what I wanted ie let me connect my wifi devices to the internet, rather than be limited to plugging the dongle just into my PC. Have tried it both in the house and since it's small taken it with me to use on the train and on trips away from home (in the UK) and been pleased with it's performance.

From reading earlier reviews I knew the power cable was short and indeed it is, which can be a bit inconvenient and reduce signal to the dongle. However the main reason I can only give 4* is it arrived with a non-UK plug, fortunately I had an UK/European adaptor at home so could get it working but would have been really disappointed otherwise as it would have been pretty useless. Why Amazon don't check this or state it in the write up I don't know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit..., 17 Dec. 2011
This is a nice bit of kit - better than the stupid Hotshot routers that the main network providers try to pawn off on people...

4.0 out of 5 stars router, 26 Aug. 2011
I bought this router for my son to go with his xbox 360,he is very happy with it and also tells me that its a good price.It was my son who introduced me to amazon and im so glad he did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance for the price, 6 Feb. 2011
CAS (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I am using this with an O2 3G modem on T-Mobile with great results; it has allowed the mobile broadband connection to be used with multiple computers just like an ADSL wireless router without installing the (crap) software drivers/utility with 3G modem.

OK, so it's not as polished as established brands (insert here ;), but the firmware is updated regularly - every month so far - and it worked with both O2 and T-Mobile modems with no issues (O2 modem is better with T-Mobile SIM). Not that established brands have good firmware these days - and try getting upgrades for them - at least TP-Link releases updates...

Personally I'm very happy with this, loads of functionality, reasonable quality, many updates and cheap price - compared with established brands of similar build quality, not much better firmware, next to no updates and much higher price. They only have themselves to blame for racing to the bottom...