1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing so far. Not a good first impression..., 2 July 2008
This review is from: Java and XML (Paperback)
- The source download is a joke for this book.
- You have to do an awful lot of work downloading stuff. Why these days there can't be maven scripts to download jar dependencies in download is beyond me.
- Ch2: P34:There's a glib statements about xmllint in the area of validating a xml document against an xsd. Quote: "Errors are reported and you can easily fix them". I didn't find this to be the case! I couldn't fathom the error it spewed out and Googling didn't show me an obvious answer either.
- Ch3:We come on to a SAX example. Once again no script to compile/run/get jars. So I knock one up. Then find I can't get example to compile because of missing class. So I think. Have the jars changed. No I eventually find via Googling an errata reference that this class is covered in next chapter!
So I go and look for it in source download and guess what. It's not there.
If there is one thing that drives me crazy. It's forward references in books. Even worse unmentioned ones. Source should have comment and download should be complete.
- Early chapters also were describing the makeup of xml documents. It would be good it this had been included in download too. Very sloppy packaging guys.
- I'll post back once I get further on and have typed in the code for ch4.
- But I hate what I've seen so far.
- I bought this book based on Steven Haines recommendation to becoming an Enterprise Java Developer over in his articles on Informit. He has been on the money with most of his recommendations. But with this one something is very awry. There must be a better alternative out there!

Java and XML