4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent media box with a few teething problems...
Had the Boxee Box almost a Month now and it has been a mixed bag but mainly good. Firstly the positives:

The Boxee Box streams HD movies without issue from the computer, even files as big as 8GB without too much problem this is both wired and wireless.
Published on 6 Feb. 2011 by D Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars... if it worked.
Published on 29 Nov. 2011 by C. Rowley

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars... if it worked., 29 Nov. 2011
C. Rowley (Herts.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
3 stars because although for the purpose to which I put it, it is 4 stars, for most people buying it based on what D-Link claim it is good for, it is worth 2 stars. The theory is that it allows you to watch online and networked content on your TV. The reality is that it is great with networked content (i.e. films and TV episodes you have - assuming they're in supported formats (most formats) on your PC or network drive, or a USB hard drive connected to Boxee) but for UK users, the online content is fairly limited (fortunately, you can filter out foreign content from the UI). Online content includes BBC iPlayer through a dedicated app which works well but you often get the audio out of synch and overlaying the in synch audio (a bug). It should also have 4OD content but right now the version of flash on the box is not supported by 4OD (nor Channel 5's offering I understand) so you can't use 4OD and haven't been able to for the last 6 months - looking at the latest from Boxee, it doesn't look like we will get it any time soon or even ever.

I have also had problems with the remote which periodically un-pairs itself from the Boxee. I was only able to get it to work again because I am fairly technical and trawled through forums. There is a reasonably useful support network when things do go wrong or you need assistance (online forums and support from the software developers).

Essentially, if you are buying this for online content, I don't recommend it, there is limited UK content and what you do get is widely available on other cheaper devices (plus 'Smart' TVs). If you are buying it for network content and want a nice front end (movie posters and TV DVD covers etc.) but would also like some online content then it is probably an OK purchase. If you are after a good music jukebox then avoid this, there is limited music jukebox functionality beyond album art (which I don't think it fetches itself) and a largely folder based structure.

Really, this should be half the price before I would recommend it to everyone. If it all worked and I was confident that all online content would continue to be supported as providers update their website technology then I would have given it 4 stars but it doesn't and I'm not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent media box with a few teething problems..., 6 Feb. 2011
D Harrison (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)

Really easy user Interface, I think Computer Active reviewed it and gave it 2 stars but I cannot fault the interface and find it easy to use, I also like the way it knows what films you have saved on your computer and then finds the DVD cover and IMDB datebase synopsis, perfect if you have friends over and decide to watch a film. Music is equally as well organised with the box sorting the music by artist and downloading the required covers etc.

The controller is also very easy to use, stylish remote control on one side and qwerty style keyboard on the reverse.... its not backlit though so dont expect to be using it in the dark!

Overall the box is very good and I would say it is worth the money however, It is still clearly being developed, firmware updates are being released to fix issues with the box and there are certainly a few bugs...

The Boxee box has the ability to plug in an External HDD which turns this media player into a network storage device, the problem currently is that the speed to transfer files too and from the box is so slow its frustrating and I personally end up just plugging the HDD straight into my PC and then taking the drive back to the boxee box once it has synced with my latest movies, music etc.

The applications are good but not perfect, there are still some bugs, the current iplayer application doesnt include HD movies, so you end up having to go to the official iplayer site (through the boxee browser, which incidently is also has bugs). Once playing however the boxee box streams the HD content easily.

The box is probably most useful for users who already have a large collection of media (music, movies, TV shows) stored and wish to watch them on demand on their TV. The movies that come with the boxee box are quite frankly not worth watching.

Overall I think the box has potential providing developers and boxee continue to iron out some of the small(?) teething problems which unfortunately prevent me giving the 5*.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best media streamer available, 1 Feb. 2011
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
If you want to stream programmes and films off the internet - do not buy this product. The fact that it can stream directly from the internet is a bonus only and should not be the reason for buying a boxee.

If, on the other hand, you want to stream your own movies and music from your NAS (or other storage device) then this is probably the best peice of kit available now. (There is also the popcorn hour but that looks like its fallen off a 1980's sci-fi set).

The GUI for the boxee is brilliant - if you've seen apple TV and liked the way it displays its files then you will love boxee. The menus are good, I have had no problems with it finding my files and if you name your movie files correctly it will find the artwork, title and even user ratings for the film. If you own a NAS you will know your way around networks so set-up is a doddle.

The design is brilliant - it looks fantastic and the remote is great. I have even got the iphone app (in case I disagree with what the wife is watching).

So - if you are thinking about getting an apple TV because it is easy to use - get this instead because it will play files directly from your NAS (without having to keep your computer on). It will play files in full 1080p (unlike the apple TV) flawlessly (after you adjust the screen size)- even Blu-ray rips. Plus you don't have to be a fully paid up apple zombie to use the boxee and it is not restricted by Steve Jobs!

It will even play the raw TS files of DVD rips as though you have put the disc into your DVD player - you get the menus and extras etc. If you don't want all the extras just rip to iso or mkv and it plays the fim straight from the start. Be careful how you rip the subtitles though (though this not a fault with boxee - just a word of advise - try out a few films before commiting your whole library to your NAS)

It also plays my itunes library (which is on my nas) and when I view it in album view it uses my artwork but when I view it artist view it uses its own artwork (which it gets on its own).

The only minor gripe I have is that the picture viewer is not as good as it could be. it works great but just not as good as xbox or ps3.

Yes you have to set up the screen size - but you only need to do it once.

I have used the BBC iplayer app - it is good and you can watch the HD version of some programmes in full screen mode and the quality on my 42incher is good enough (not so good on SD) but way better than using your laptop connected to your TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid If You Are In The UK, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I've now had the Boxee box for 6 months. Rightly or wrongly I bought it on it's potential to play UK channels and new movie releases accessible to the UK. 6 months on and I'm still limited to just BBC iPlayer. Boxee did announce that BlinkBox (a UK provider of movies) would be available in the UK but that deadline's well passed and silence from Boxee. The other primary UK channels (e.g. ITV, Channel4) are not available and as I've watched Boxee report on it's progress and updates over the months, it's become clear that they are only interested in their US market.

But that's not the worst of it... Boxee allows you to use its browser to surf the web on your TV. However, its browser doesn't support the version of flash needed to play video from sites such as BlinkBox, ITVPlayer, TVCathcup etc etc. So, I can't use it's purpose-built apps to watch UK channels (except iPlayer) and I can't use it to access the web and watch video through it's browser.

In short, if I'd known then what I know now, I would have purchased a simple/small PC tower and a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard. I would then be able to stream anything I wanted on my TV.

Please take note if you are in the UK - you might spend more time dusting it than using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last media centre you are going to buy, 26 Nov. 2010
Ashraf Elrefaey (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I've had a media centre in the lounge for 8+ years, started with Windows XP Media Centre Edition and tried nearly all the others and finally started using Boxee software. I have been waiting for the Boxee box as my media centre was noisy, not very power efficient, expensive, drivers problems,...etc.

Initially when I heard the price, I thought D-Link are joking and actually decided to buy Western Digital Live HD box but decided to return it after few days as it was extremely limited compared to Boxee. Last week I decided not to waste more time and buy the Boxee box, what a great decision that was.

Pros:
1. It plays back every format under the sun.
2. The remote control is genius, and contrary to what one of the reviewers said it DOES have numbers.
3. The online content is fantastic, and contains live data from BBC iPlayer, Youtube, channel 4 & 5, Engadget, TED and loads more.
4. Open architecture allows additional plugins to be developed so it's future proof (the box already comes with 130 plugins already installed!).
5. Automatically retrieves information about your movies from the internet and puts a nice picture icon of your movies. It also does the same with the music (gets band pictures and info from the internet).
6. It supports Arabic subtitles. I know this doesn't matter to a lot of people but tha fact that it supports Arabic means it will also support all other right-to-left languages like Hebrew,...etc. The box can actually download subtitles from the internet while the movie is playing.
7. Supports MKV with subtitles, chapters and all the other great features.
8. Supports Blu Ray ISO. I haven't tested many features as I don't have many Blu-Ray ISOs but everything worked in the ones I tested.

Cons:
1. As one of the reviews said, some online content is simply a shortcut to a web page that opens in Boxee browser. Some websites are designed and tested to work with major browsers like IE, Firefox,..etc so sometimes they don't work very well with the Boxee browser.
2. As this box has a browser, a mouse would have been a very nice addition as navigating using the keyboard is painful, though possible.

And finally I'm borrowing this quote from Andy C's review: It is probably still a device best suited to the techie crowd but in time as the interface becomes more polished and the online content improves it should be a great device, in fact I suspect this kind of kit will completely take over our home entertainment needs in the coming years.

A major firmware update is coming early December so the box will even get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit., 18 Nov. 2010
Steve Elliott - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
First off just wanted to say, my Boxee Box has just been delivered this morning. And I'm absolutely over the moon with it. For a long time I've been using Apple TV (cracked version) to stream movies stored on my NAS box at home, however it wouldnt cope very well with HD files and anything really over 4GB in size.

The Boxee Box absolutely nails these to perfection. Initially I was a little skeptical, and sure, it's a fairly high price but in my honest opinion it's worth every penny and I'm very happy with it.

For info, I've thrown every media type I can find on my NAS box at this piece of kit and it's played them all without any kicups at all. MKV, M2KV, ISO, AVI, MPEG etc etc etc - the list goes on and on, all played without any stuttering etc. It even plays full HD movies i.e 9GB movie files, which my Apple TV just simply couldnt handle. BTW this Boxee Box is FULL 1080 HD, Apple TV was only 720p - So again Boxee Box wins there.

The REAL big test was I had a HD Bluray movie stored on my NAS (30GB movie file!!!!!) which my Apple TV could only dream of managing to play, I wasnt sure even a file of this size Boxee could cope, but again, playback was absolutely flawless.

10/10 and HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad but could be a lot better. Too US focussed to make it a global product., 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
About this review, note that I work in the consumer-electronics industry. I take part in the development of products similar to the Boxee box. These products do not compete with the Boxee box, so please consider my review to be unbiased and based on a modicum of knowledge for such products.

To summarise: it is quite a good product, but it was introduced three or four years ago. It has since been eclipsed by others (e.g. the WD Play box).

Positive points in my experience (I have not tried everything):
> Responsive user interface. There's a beefy Intel chip inside this product so its responsiveness is not surprising.
> Control via iOS/other app is possible.
> Remote control has a real keyboard on it, which makes it much easier to type in long strings (e.g. a wifi password) than using a virtual keyboard.
> Some useful apps available, e.g. iPlayer (which works well...fast, robust, trick modes supported).
> Set up is easy.
> uPnP works very well (in terms of content compatibility and trick modes).
> Simultaneous output of digital audio over HDMI and SPDIF, which means that the user does not have to switch between these outputs if wanting to move from watching video on TV to listening to music on hi-fi system,.

Negative points:
> The home screen is cluttered with suggested content which cannot be switched off or tailored. The suggested content is US focussed, and seeing this every time the box is enabled becomes irritating.
> The box tries to create thumbnails and titles for content stored on a uPnP server (instead of using the real name offered by the server), and often gets it wrong. It looks at the name and duration of each file, goes online to some database somewhere and comes back with what it thinks is the correct name and appropriate thumbnail. For example I have the 2012 Olympics on Blue Ray ripped to my server, and the Boxee box presents these as being copies of the movie '2012'. I could find no way of disabling this useless and faulty function.
> Not many of the hundreds of apps are useful. A smaller, more useful selection would be better.
> Although it was very robust during normal operation, it often crashes/stalls/hangs up when bringing it out of standby. Frustrating. Workarounds for this are to either leave it on all the time OR fully switch it off when not using it. But, leaving it on consumes a lot of power (due to its beefy Intel chip) and 2) there is no hard on-off switch near the front of the box (there is one on the power cable) and it takes about a minute to boot up.

So I returned mine and bought a WD Play (which is generally superior, cheaper and so far has not crashed).

4.0 out of 5 stars I still love it but..., 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I've had my Boxee Box since the day it was released and haven't had a single problem with it. But then I've primarily used it for playing my own DVD rips and other content I've "found" online. Ahem. It is BY FAR, the easiest and most user friendly media player for local content. That has not changed. Nothing else you can buy on Amazon can top it.

That said, as the content aggregating streaming device we were promised, it's always been a bit of a non-starter. Especially outside of the US. Most of the content partners we were promised didn't show up on the box and most of those that did have since fallen by the wayside. In terms of premium content in the UK, there's really only iPlayer left.

You should know that the device is now End of Life. We're promised one more firmware update to upgrade Flash and fix a couple of bugs. Boxee has abandoned it in favour of a new US-only free to air and cable PVR which uploads your recorded content to the cloud. For US$15 a month. And yes, that really is just exactly as ridiculous as it sounds. But I digress.

The original Boxee Box is still a terrific little box for playing local content from your network. But know this - your box identifies your files by looking it up on Boxee's own servers. It cannot scrape directly from the iMDB. So you might well by wary of how long this service will continue to operate.

Finally, to end on a positive note: Plug a 2TB usb drive into it and it can also double as a pretty neat DIY NAS!

1.0 out of 5 stars A once good box!, 27 Jun. 2012
Mr. Kd Williams "Karlos" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
This product is only good for your media collection FILMS and TV Shows and I must say its does not do an amazing job cataloging that either.

This product used to show Channel 4 on Demand, Five, plus other channels of older shows which I would have called at 1-100 not 100s that is untrue unless you like watching foreign shows/films

This product no longer works with the above and is very unlikely ever to work again as the Flash player on the device can not be updated due to the intel chip which intel have ceased supporting and Boxee team say there hands are tied unless us beg intel to update it, which is unlikely as they have done the same to GoogleTV and Tivo and will not shift on the decision.

So this product will not work for On Demand TV unless you just watch BBC iPlayer but that could stop working any time, the youtube services have also stopped working due to the out of date flash player.

Services like Netflix and LoveFilm will also never work on this system as they claim its the intel chip which makes them work and we should contact intel and Netflix to fix this to update the firmware. They Boxee as a company reckon they are not at fault and blame intel.

PLEASE TAKE THIS REVIEW AS THE TRUTH YOU WILL BE THROWING MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN. WD Live I have heard is better and other players.

Boxee should be pulled from the market as its false advertisement and the box no longer does what it once did. There customer support morto is to ignore its customers and hope we go away.

I do feel like I have been ripped off a simple search of Boxee and Flash player will confirm what I have said.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising and Useless in the UK!! AVOID!, 20 April 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I recently purchased the product and was very excited. The design looks great and the controller with the keyboard is fantastic.

This is where the positives stop!!! The content in the UK is next to nothing. This didn't bother me as I only wanted the box to use Netflix and Spotify. Sadly they couldn't even offer that!

With my primary need being netflix I bought this product. They had proudly announced that they were now teamed up with Spotify coupled with being very proud of their big netflix logo on the site -showing that they are one of their top partners. What they don't tell you is that NETFLIX IS NOT AVAILABLE ON UK BOXEE BOXES!!

Not only is this massively misleading promoting that the product does things that it cannot. This had pretty much rendered the item a very expensive paper weight.

Avoid like the plague. I will be talking to the ASA and Trading standards.

I have already contacted them and will post their response.

D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player