5.0 out of 5 stars The last media centre you are going to buy
I've had a media centre in the lounge for 8+ years, started with Windows XP Media Centre Edition and tried nearly all the others and finally started using Boxee software. I have been waiting for the Boxee box as my media centre was noisy, not very power efficient, expensive, drivers problems,...etc.

Initially when I heard the price, I thought D-Link are joking...
Published on 26 Nov 2010 by Ashraf Elrefaey

We bought the Boxee six months ago and loved every bit of it: exploring the apps, the ease of streaming from your laptop/Mac etc.. There were occasional Wifi connect issues but were easily solved with a reboot.

Published on 16 April 2012 by rogomon

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved it at first. Sour taste after all of the issues and company response..., 16 April 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)

Then came the Boxee forced updates. These are updates pushed down to the Boxee in which you have no choice but accepting. One of the biggest and greatest features we loved was the integration of opensubtitles.org. It auto-downloaded subtitles for whatever film you were watching. (We have a family member who has a slight hearing issue) It was extremely useful, exceptionally easy to use and almost always the retrieved the best subtitles. But what we didn't expect is that the forced update removed opensubtitlles.org integration with no notice or replacement. The functionality just isn't there anymore.

So I visit boxee.tv and what do I find?...many other disgruntled users. Not only about opensubtitles.org but other issues that were from before I owned my Boxee.

So my experience with Boxee was diminished but not destroyed. We continued to use it until about a month ago when the Boxee just began to switch off the video output without warning and no apparent reason. The only way to fix it that we found was to unplug the HDMI connection and reconnect it after a few seconds. Its a fun thing to do in the middle of a movie. Let me correct that: every movie. Now sometimes on Boxee startup we just have a "no signal" sign on our TV and other times it happens in the middle of watching...whatever. Where did this come from? No clue. The TV is new, and so is the HDMI cable.

I search the Boxee forums, low and behold, I find threads titled "Black screen of death"....others having the same issue.

And as for company response...the forums lack responses from the company. They've discontinued the Boxee client for Mac... Their blog acts as if they're not aware of the many user complaints and issues. Really I just don't have the time or patience for this...

I've turned sour on Boxee and regret the purchase. I wish I bought one of the others. I'm thinking about buying a Roku box honestly....

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid If You Are In The UK, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I've now had the Boxee box for 6 months. Rightly or wrongly I bought it on it's potential to play UK channels and new movie releases accessible to the UK. 6 months on and I'm still limited to just BBC iPlayer. Boxee did announce that BlinkBox (a UK provider of movies) would be available in the UK but that deadline's well passed and silence from Boxee. The other primary UK channels (e.g. ITV, Channel4) are not available and as I've watched Boxee report on it's progress and updates over the months, it's become clear that they are only interested in their US market.

But that's not the worst of it... Boxee allows you to use its browser to surf the web on your TV. However, its browser doesn't support the version of flash needed to play video from sites such as BlinkBox, ITVPlayer, TVCathcup etc etc. So, I can't use it's purpose-built apps to watch UK channels (except iPlayer) and I can't use it to access the web and watch video through it's browser.

In short, if I'd known then what I know now, I would have purchased a simple/small PC tower and a cheap wireless mouse/keyboard. I would then be able to stream anything I wanted on my TV.

Please take note if you are in the UK - you might spend more time dusting it than using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last media centre you are going to buy, 26 Nov 2010
Ashraf Elrefaey (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)

Initially when I heard the price, I thought D-Link are joking and actually decided to buy Western Digital Live HD box but decided to return it after few days as it was extremely limited compared to Boxee. Last week I decided not to waste more time and buy the Boxee box, what a great decision that was.

Pros:
1. It plays back every format under the sun.
2. The remote control is genius, and contrary to what one of the reviewers said it DOES have numbers.
3. The online content is fantastic, and contains live data from BBC iPlayer, Youtube, channel 4 & 5, Engadget, TED and loads more.
4. Open architecture allows additional plugins to be developed so it's future proof (the box already comes with 130 plugins already installed!).
5. Automatically retrieves information about your movies from the internet and puts a nice picture icon of your movies. It also does the same with the music (gets band pictures and info from the internet).
6. It supports Arabic subtitles. I know this doesn't matter to a lot of people but tha fact that it supports Arabic means it will also support all other right-to-left languages like Hebrew,...etc. The box can actually download subtitles from the internet while the movie is playing.
7. Supports MKV with subtitles, chapters and all the other great features.
8. Supports Blu Ray ISO. I haven't tested many features as I don't have many Blu-Ray ISOs but everything worked in the ones I tested.

Cons:
1. As one of the reviews said, some online content is simply a shortcut to a web page that opens in Boxee browser. Some websites are designed and tested to work with major browsers like IE, Firefox,..etc so sometimes they don't work very well with the Boxee browser.
2. As this box has a browser, a mouse would have been a very nice addition as navigating using the keyboard is painful, though possible.

And finally I'm borrowing this quote from Andy C's review: It is probably still a device best suited to the techie crowd but in time as the interface becomes more polished and the online content improves it should be a great device, in fact I suspect this kind of kit will completely take over our home entertainment needs in the coming years.

A major firmware update is coming early December so the box will even get better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit., 18 Nov 2010
Steve Elliott - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
First off just wanted to say, my Boxee Box has just been delivered this morning. And I'm absolutely over the moon with it. For a long time I've been using Apple TV (cracked version) to stream movies stored on my NAS box at home, however it wouldnt cope very well with HD files and anything really over 4GB in size.

The Boxee Box absolutely nails these to perfection. Initially I was a little skeptical, and sure, it's a fairly high price but in my honest opinion it's worth every penny and I'm very happy with it.

For info, I've thrown every media type I can find on my NAS box at this piece of kit and it's played them all without any kicups at all. MKV, M2KV, ISO, AVI, MPEG etc etc etc - the list goes on and on, all played without any stuttering etc. It even plays full HD movies i.e 9GB movie files, which my Apple TV just simply couldnt handle. BTW this Boxee Box is FULL 1080 HD, Apple TV was only 720p - So again Boxee Box wins there.

The REAL big test was I had a HD Bluray movie stored on my NAS (30GB movie file!!!!!) which my Apple TV could only dream of managing to play, I wasnt sure even a file of this size Boxee could cope, but again, playback was absolutely flawless.

10/10 and HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars A once good box!, 27 Jun 2012
Mr. Kd Williams "Karlos" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
This product is only good for your media collection FILMS and TV Shows and I must say its does not do an amazing job cataloging that either.

This product used to show Channel 4 on Demand, Five, plus other channels of older shows which I would have called at 1-100 not 100s that is untrue unless you like watching foreign shows/films

This product no longer works with the above and is very unlikely ever to work again as the Flash player on the device can not be updated due to the intel chip which intel have ceased supporting and Boxee team say there hands are tied unless us beg intel to update it, which is unlikely as they have done the same to GoogleTV and Tivo and will not shift on the decision.

So this product will not work for On Demand TV unless you just watch BBC iPlayer but that could stop working any time, the youtube services have also stopped working due to the out of date flash player.

Services like Netflix and LoveFilm will also never work on this system as they claim its the intel chip which makes them work and we should contact intel and Netflix to fix this to update the firmware. They Boxee as a company reckon they are not at fault and blame intel.

PLEASE TAKE THIS REVIEW AS THE TRUTH YOU WILL BE THROWING MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN. WD Live I have heard is better and other players.

Boxee should be pulled from the market as its false advertisement and the box no longer does what it once did. There customer support morto is to ignore its customers and hope we go away.

I do feel like I have been ripped off a simple search of Boxee and Flash player will confirm what I have said.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising and Useless in the UK!! AVOID!, 20 April 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I recently purchased the product and was very excited. The design looks great and the controller with the keyboard is fantastic.

This is where the positives stop!!! The content in the UK is next to nothing. This didn't bother me as I only wanted the box to use Netflix and Spotify. Sadly they couldn't even offer that!

With my primary need being netflix I bought this product. They had proudly announced that they were now teamed up with Spotify coupled with being very proud of their big netflix logo on the site -showing that they are one of their top partners. What they don't tell you is that NETFLIX IS NOT AVAILABLE ON UK BOXEE BOXES!!

Not only is this massively misleading promoting that the product does things that it cannot. This had pretty much rendered the item a very expensive paper weight.

Avoid like the plague. I will be talking to the ASA and Trading standards.

I have already contacted them and will post their response.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T EVEN TIHNK ABOUT BUYING, 17 May 2012
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
I've had the Boxee Box for a couple of months now and what can I say..
It's slow, it freezes, it crashes and its so unreliable it beggers belief.

Where to start, oh god...
I added my movie hard disk (~4000 things) it found about 1/3 of the movies automatically and gave me nice pretty pictures of the dvd/video covers, great... but wait, 25% of the 1/3 it found were wrong!
Changing the movie cover/type/description to match what the movie actually is takes an age, and if it doesn't know about your movie actually (for example I have some movies of my grandchildren) it won't let you enter your own description, oh no, you *must* choose it from some internet database (my grandchildren aren't famous enough it would seem to warrant having a movie title of their own!).

Yes it plays YouTube movies, but it takes an age to switch from playing a movie to playing youtube and back again.

Loading apps is painfully slow.

Playing music, is just terrible, it doesn't let you play by genre, or the complete works of an artist, only by a single album. I have over 10,000 albums, it takes ages to get from Abba to ZZ Top (I have both, you could say "eclectic").

The movie playback, when it does work, is actually pretty good quality, I like the size of the "device" and I like the remote control, but I'm sorry, this is a great idea let down by terrible software and a lack of thought about it's use. I'll be replacing it with a miniMac, yes it's a lot more, but it'll work!

If I could figure out how to return the item to amazon, I would.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hoaxee, 16 Oct 2012
Zeke Pliskin (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
This is a terrible product. Honestly, you're better off getting a small nettop machine like an Acer Revo, installing Linux/Windows and then installing XBMC. You can do so much more and you're not limited by a poor dev team like you are with Boxee. Also, you don't have this ugly misshapen thing anywhere near your TV, which is a bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars... if it worked., 29 Nov 2011
C. Rowley (Herts.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
3 stars because although for the purpose to which I put it, it is 4 stars, for most people buying it based on what D-Link claim it is good for, it is worth 2 stars. The theory is that it allows you to watch online and networked content on your TV. The reality is that it is great with networked content (i.e. films and TV episodes you have - assuming they're in supported formats (most formats) on your PC or network drive, or a USB hard drive connected to Boxee) but for UK users, the online content is fairly limited (fortunately, you can filter out foreign content from the UI). Online content includes BBC iPlayer through a dedicated app which works well but you often get the audio out of synch and overlaying the in synch audio (a bug). It should also have 4OD content but right now the version of flash on the box is not supported by 4OD (nor Channel 5's offering I understand) so you can't use 4OD and haven't been able to for the last 6 months - looking at the latest from Boxee, it doesn't look like we will get it any time soon or even ever.

I have also had problems with the remote which periodically un-pairs itself from the Boxee. I was only able to get it to work again because I am fairly technical and trawled through forums. There is a reasonably useful support network when things do go wrong or you need assistance (online forums and support from the software developers).

Essentially, if you are buying this for online content, I don't recommend it, there is limited UK content and what you do get is widely available on other cheaper devices (plus 'Smart' TVs). If you are buying it for network content and want a nice front end (movie posters and TV DVD covers etc.) but would also like some online content then it is probably an OK purchase. If you are after a good music jukebox then avoid this, there is limited music jukebox functionality beyond album art (which I don't think it fetches itself) and a largely folder based structure.

Really, this should be half the price before I would recommend it to everyone. If it all worked and I was confident that all online content would continue to be supported as providers update their website technology then I would have given it 4 stars but it doesn't and I'm not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent media box with a few teething problems..., 6 Feb 2011
D Harrison (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player (Accessory)
Had the Boxee Box almost a Month now and it has been a mixed bag but mainly good. Firstly the positives:

The Boxee Box streams HD movies without issue from the computer, even files as big as 8GB without too much problem this is both wired and wireless.
Really easy user Interface, I think Computer Active reviewed it and gave it 2 stars but I cannot fault the interface and find it easy to use, I also like the way it knows what films you have saved on your computer and then finds the DVD cover and IMDB datebase synopsis, perfect if you have friends over and decide to watch a film. Music is equally as well organised with the box sorting the music by artist and downloading the required covers etc.

The controller is also very easy to use, stylish remote control on one side and qwerty style keyboard on the reverse.... its not backlit though so dont expect to be using it in the dark!

Overall the box is very good and I would say it is worth the money however, It is still clearly being developed, firmware updates are being released to fix issues with the box and there are certainly a few bugs...

The Boxee box has the ability to plug in an External HDD which turns this media player into a network storage device, the problem currently is that the speed to transfer files too and from the box is so slow its frustrating and I personally end up just plugging the HDD straight into my PC and then taking the drive back to the boxee box once it has synced with my latest movies, music etc.

The applications are good but not perfect, there are still some bugs, the current iplayer application doesnt include HD movies, so you end up having to go to the official iplayer site (through the boxee browser, which incidently is also has bugs). Once playing however the boxee box streams the HD content easily.

The box is probably most useful for users who already have a large collection of media (music, movies, TV shows) stored and wish to watch them on demand on their TV. The movies that come with the boxee box are quite frankly not worth watching.

Overall I think the box has potential providing developers and boxee continue to iron out some of the small(?) teething problems which unfortunately prevent me giving the 5*.

D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player