Format: DVD|Change

on 5 February 2005
After going to see Saltimbanco live, I instantly fell in love with Cirque du Soleil. I wanted to see more, so I bought Varekai from the show for £25. Since I bought it, it never came out of my dvd player!
I stumbled accross amazon selling the Cirque du Soleil DVDS and almost fainted when I saw they were about a fiver each, and instantly bought them.
This set contains Saltimbanco, Dralion, La Nouba and Alegria. I cant comment on Saltimbanco because Im goign seeing it live again and dont want to spoil the experiance =P As for the others...
Dralion is based a lot on the chinese circus, but it also seems to mix Indian and African culture in too, which can be seen from the music and costumes. My favourite acts in this are the single hand balancing, ballet on lightbulbs (which is literally what the name says) and teeterboard (where acrobats are thrown off the end of a seesaw to make a tower of humans...amazing). Usually I dont really like the clowns, but there is one part that made me really laugh my socks off, adn its really cleverly done. The costumes and music and performances are to the same amazingly high standard you expect from the cirque.
La Nouba seems to be quite dark compared to some of the others. It isnt as long as the other DVDs, but it does compensate for this by having 2 dvds- the first is the actual show, and the second is full of extras such as indepth interviews with the performers, a background into 'Les Cons' (very funny clown-like performers- some of my all time fav characters), lots of behind the scene stuff and an oppertunity to meet the musicians. Some of the dance parts in this are a lil more hip hop which I found really interesting. My favourite act in this is the fast track and trampoline at the end as it is simply entrancing.
Alegria is my favourite out of the pack, not only for the show, but also for the behind the scenes featurette which I found really interesting. Again, the music and costumes are fantastic. The acts include the fast track (the music from this will not want to leave your head once you've heard it!), synchronised trapeze, fire knife dance, hoops, russian bars, contortion and aerial high bar. By the way of extras, theres the behind the scenes (which is about an hour long) as previously mentioned, a look into the filming of alegria, an oppertunity to look at the show in slow motion at different angles, multi angled performances of the fast track an areial high bar (which is great if you want to just watch the act instead of the camera changing shots every so often) and a quick interview with each performer.
Although I havent watched the DVD of Saltimbanco, I think it will probably be my favourite based on the show. Its quite different to the others as its a lot lot lighter and brighter. Its full of vivid colours and wild characters. The music is a bit more rock-like, and this is portrayed in the chracters as they are more punk-like. To give you an image of the show.....think of a big tub of multicoloured jelly beans exploding, and there you have Saltimbanco ^_^
I'd highly reccommend this set, especially as you get 4 DVDs with all the extras for the same price as 1 if you bought it from the live show. For those of you passionate about Cirque du Soleil, Im sure you'll love them as much as I do.
on 16 February 2006
There are circus acts and then there is "Cirque du Soleil" they are simply the finest artists from around the world brought together to give the finest performance you can imagine. They do NOT use animals in any acts and if you ever get the chance to see them live then go whatever the cost financially.
The music is superb and powerful with amazing depth and dynamic range (and this is an experienced classical and theatre sound engineer talking) and the lighting and costumes are just as good. Amazon offer this box set at an amazing price so buy it before they put the price up.
The CD's are fantastic to use (due to the stunning dynamic range of tracks such as "Alegria") to test the performance of your HiFi system as well as any professional sound reinforcement system. Time for me to look at the other DVD's and CD's from Cirque du Soleil here at Amazon.
on 11 January 2006
Imagine a place where circus acts make you hold your breath, clowns actually make you laugh out loud and costumes, masks, and make up force you to stare in amazement. welcome to the world of cirque du soleil. I am lucky enough to have seen Alegria by Cirque du Soleil live, the experience is just amazing, if you ever get the chance, just buy the most expensive tickets you can get, trust me, you will remember it for the rest of your life. These DVD's are the closest you can get to the real thing, and even though i have never seen the other three live, the performances left me gasping for more. You will enjoy these if you have seen any of Cirque du Soleil's shows, as it will bring memories flooding back. I would wait if you can to see them live before watching the video, but if you cant just soak it all in and grab the next chance you can get.
Fabulous
on 14 February 2005
Having seen all of these videos (and recently been lucky enough to see Dralion and Saltimbanco live) I cannot praise these productions enough.
Dralion, in particular, is brilliant on the DVD - verging on the miraculous. The music (despite ignorant newspaper reviews) is probably my favourite of all Cirque productions (with the possible exception of Alegria). The Chinese cirus acts, together with world themes ranging from India to South America via Africa, are truly wonderful. The opening handbalancing act has to be one of the most sureal and beautiful of the show.
Saltimbanco is an older show and has a naivity about it which is refreshing. The cast is young and there is a youthful enthusiasm and driving pace to the whole show. The DVD is an accurate reflection of the show but the Russian swing is even more impressive live where the acrobats seem (at least from the front row) to go into orbit. The hire wire act is nothing short of amazing and syncronised Bungees brought tears of joy as climax to the show. Wonderful.
Alegria is probably my favourite show of the bunch - excellent extras plus a superbly filmed and atmospheric performance from live shows in Sydney.
La Nouba is the permanent show at Disney World in Florida. As a result they can really go wild on the staging. The FastTrack/trampoline sequence alone is worth the price of this CD set and is trualy an amazing piece of correography. It is still the Aerial Ballet in Silk that brings a lump to the throat though every time I watch it.
This really is 4 of the best shows at an amazing price - it really cannot be beaten. If you love CdS and haven't seen any of these you haven't lived. If you have never heard of Cirque du Soleil buy it and prepare to be converted (you have been warned)!! The only way these can be bettered is in the live performance - go and see Saltimbanco while it is in the UK !!
5 stars aren't enough - this deserves at leat 20 (5 for each disc)
on 31 August 2006
Four Shows by Cirque Du Soleil for less than you'd pay for a second rate feature film is, in my book, a fantastic bargain.

The filming is of very high quality and although I've not yet been able to get to a live show this is surely nearly if not as good. Each DVD is the film of a live show and there even featurettes on some of them as well as the show itself. If you're reading this, you probably already know that CDS are a circus company who use the most incredible acts in the world - acrobats, clowns who are actually funny, contortionists etc. etc. and not a sad animal in sight - unless it's one of the marvellous characters played by the performers. All this is backed by tremendous live music.

Do yourself a favour - buy this item, close the curtains and prepare to be entertained.
on 1 April 2007
What a great buy! This is really great...you will fall in love with cirque and will start buying more stuff from them! Love La Nouba! Dralion, the first cirque show that I ever saw is also incredible! Liked Alegria to, the music is still on my mind!

Buy this right now while it's cheap!
on 23 August 2010
This DVD is amazing. A friend let me watch some of this then I came home and ordered it. I am now obsessed with Cirque du Soleil. Such a good story behind La Nouba and amazing acrobatics and performances.
on 20 February 2007
WOW - I wasnt really too sure what to expect, ordered this box set to see what all the hype is about if Im honest!

Alegria is definately my favourite of the set, with La Nouba coming a very close second....... but all are well worth watching! I cant wait for an opportunity to see them live now, and am desperately trying to convert everybody else that I know!
on 26 January 2007
Cirque Du Soleil... WOW, buying this DVD would be one of the highlights of your year, I'm 16 and I've seen 3 of Cirque Du Soleil's performances live(La Nouba, Saltimbanco and Quidam)and they were sensational, watching this DVD I was not disappointed with the other 2 shows, words cannot describe how fantastic these circus performers are as they deserve so much credit for there hard work, Outstanding Buy, You Will Not Be Disappointed!
on 5 February 2009
Having seen Cirque du Soleil live and on tv, I was minded to try one of their dvds, expecting the usual prices of around £10 each. Lo and behold I came across this perfect pack of 4 titles for under £8, I couldn't believe it! And 4 days later they arrived and I have watched it all in awe again. OK there is nothing to beat seeing a live Le Cirque show (preferably in Las Vegas!) but to keep you going until then - buy this compilation right now - you won't regret it.