5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Excellent!!!, 17 Aug 2009
I bought this book to help pass the MCTS WCF certification. I had a copy of the offical MSPress study guide but found that book didn't provide me with sufficient understanding of some of the key areas of WCF. This book filled those gaps and more, the chapters on Bindings and Security are fantastic!

A Chapter typically begins with a overview of the topics covered before presenting code samples (available as a download from the accompanying website) specifically targeted at illustrating those concepts, each code sample is then further analysed and the relevant functionality is explained in detail. A summary concludes each chapter outlining what key aspects should have been learned allowing the reader to review any areas that didn't hit home - I found the book so well written however that this was rarely the case!

The Author's use of real world deployment scenarios and typical infrastructure requirements help make a concept that is at first glance highly baffling, easy to understand!

I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn WCF!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, even for seasoned developers, 28 May 2008
I originally intended to learn WCF from Juval Lowy's (excellent) book, however there were a few implementation details that I was having difficulty with because the delivery of the platform hadn't quite caught up with the development tools and operating systems (VS2008 and Windows 2008 Server respectively). So I found myself wrestling with such problems as how to deploy manageable non-HTTP services in a Windows Server 2003 environment, potential integration with CardSpace, and using message contracts to mimic asmx behaviour for SOAP headers, among other problems - this book has been worth the money on nearly all of these.

Where Juval Lowy's book is more abstract, this is more hands-on. There is more emphasis on concrete implementation of concepts here (although the level of detail is less deep). The style is clear without being patronising.

This book has been very useful in helping me to deal with the more practical issues of WCF adoption and deployment. I'd thoroughly recommend it as the perfect complement to Juval Lowy's book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've found, 27 May 2009
C. Carter (UK) - See all my reviews
As the title says, this is the best book I have found on WCF.
Learnt a lot from it.
Will probably learn a lot more when I finish it.
Well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Very complete and detailed, 2 July 2011
The title of the book is at the same time correct and misleading - Learning WCF may sound to some a book for complete novices. The intended audience, as it says in the book, are however developers of intermediate to advanced level.
If you are new to .Net or C#, you would need first to learn the basics there before picking up this book.
But if you are somewhat experienced in C# or .Net in general but a total novice to WCF, this is the perfect book.
Missing is only coverage on RESTful services.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for learning WCF, 1 May 2010
Giambona Massimo (Italy) - See all my reviews
I have buy Programming WCF from Juval Lowy's, it's an Excellent Book, but it is too abstract and in my opinion the target is for skilled person on WCF.
Instead Learning WCF is an excellent book that guides you step by step in everyday problems.
I would recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn WCF.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to start, 28 April 2009
I've seen many books about WCF, some were good and some very bad. Usually I'm quite suspicious when I see a book with "Learning ...", "Getting Started ..." or any other title suggesting it's for the beginners. In the most cases content is either outdated or well known from blogs and other sources. I'm not really surprised with that. One of my colleagues is the O'Reilly author and I could see how long it takes to print a book. In that time most of people interested in the subject will be already familiar with it. There is no one to blame, it's just how it is.

That's why I hesitated with opening this book. I will not pretend I'm the WCF expert, even if some people are willing to say that. There are thousands of things in WCF I have no knowledge about whatsoever and many of them I found in this book. While I was expecting yet another silly book showing how to do yet another trivial "Hello World" example I found the book that really shows how to enter into SOA world. It's something quite amazing I have to admit. How often in such books you will find a detailed guide on how to version your service or how to interop with legacy applications. There are many bits and pieces here and there in the book that surprised me. That, in my opinion, delivers a clear message that author knew SOA. It's the second book I received from O'Reilly that I like, it's quite a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 20 Dec 2011
Ryan Burton "RyantheLion" (london. uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning WCF: A Hands-on Guide (Kindle Edition)
After 12 years in the IT industry and having read a far amount of techincal books this one is
easily one of the best technical books I've read. Reading about technology and not playing with it gets you no-where, so the books exhaustive code labs are fantastic. The book is big and allot to read and take in but
I found it better to take the time to understand wcf properly instead of battling getting things done at work.
The author also only deals with wcf, not trying to squease in a fictional comedy novel in-between like too many other tech authors.

ARRAY(0xa3d1a0d8)