Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.68

on 8 June 2011
I received this book for my 15th birthday, as I am an avid Mary Hooper fan. Initially, I thought (due to the blurb) that the book would be quite morbid. However; I instantly loved it after reading the first page! The storyline was full of twist and turns which kept you hooked throughout the book. As well as this- the historical facts were very accurate, and I have felt as though I have learnt something from reading it. The ending was sensationally happy, which led me grinning from ear to ear. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure tales, particularly those of Victorian England. :)
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Set in Victorian England, this is a story about two sisters who have been orphaned and struggle to survive those hard times. The eldest daughter has a disability and so Grace, her sister, has to care for her.

The story has twists and turns and makes an interesting read. I liked the style in which it was written as for me, it conjured up the emotions that Grace was going through.

It depicts being poor in London during that period of time really well, it was quite a cut throat and harsh place to live back then.

Shocking revelations and a happy ending - definately an enjoyable read.
on 27 May 2013
Fallen Grace is the story of Grace Parkes, a young woman living in the harsh Victorian London. Orphaned and living with her disabled older sister, everyday Grace must sell watercress and find jobs to survive everyday. She also hs a shocking secret - Grace has given birth to an illegitimate stillborn child. Whilst weeping over the baby, she is seen by the unsrupulous Unwins, who offer her the jobs of being a funeral mute. But as the story progresses, that's not the only thing they want from her...
on 8 September 2011
Really enjoyable novel - I just wish all the author's work was available on Kindle. I've become far to accustomed to clicking "download" and being able to read instantly and just can't be bothered to wait for print books to arrive anymore! This reminded me of the Sally Lockhary novels in the sense of being transported to Victorian London. This author shares Pullman's ability to paint vivid pictures with words. My only gripe: I wanted it to last longer!
on 6 December 2012
Hello
I a am ten-year old girl and I thought it would be a good idea to write a review on this book because I noticed that most of the reviews on this book are by adults.

This is a good book because it educates you about life in London in the Victorian era and is interesting, thrilling and addictive all at the same time!! I now know how much poor people suffered in those times.
on 16 March 2013
My daughter had an English reading list from school which included titles by Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen and also more modern authors writing stories set in Victorian Times. This is easier to read than
traditional authors as there is not so much descriptive text but still gives a good feeling of the Victorian era. A great story with a happy ending.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the first book I've read by Mary Hooper, though she has been on my radar for quite a while. For some reason I've just never been drawn to her stories and, had I not received a review copy of Fallen Grace, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have picked it up. It's reasons like this - being introduced to new authors and genres - that make me glad to be a blogger, and I'd like to say a big thanks to Bloomsbury for prompting me to read such a brilliant author.

Fallen Grace is set in England in the 1800s, which I believe is the Victorian era. I'll admit I'm not too good on my own country's historical periods, though thanks to books like this, I'm finally learning all about them. For this reason, I found Fallen Grace to be very educational, and I loved learning about the state of London and the way people lived. For example, I never knew that the whole country went into mourning when a member of the Royal Family died, or that so many horribly kept workhouses existed. Being poor was obviously worse than I thought it was.

What I loved most about Fallen Grace was Hooper's way of describing people, surroundings and London's general way of life. Time and time again the imagery was so vivid that I felt like I'd been transported back to the 1860s, with no shoes on my feet and a suffocating fog sweeping the city. When an author can truly make me believe in their writing like that, I know they're something special.

Hooper's characters were cleverly mastered and richly layered, and all as vividly realised as the city they inhabited. Grace was loving and selfless, even though she was dealing with something no-one should ever have to face. Lily was more simple and easily led, though she proved loyal and more intelligent than she seemed. Even the bad guys were written in such a way that I couldn't help but feel sorry for their sorry state of affairs, yet relieved at their outcome. I imagine they all took a long time to bring to life, and the effort and time spent on each individual story really showed in the writing.

At this moment in time, I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about Fallen Grace. It's opened my eyes to the historical YA genre, and has reminded me that it's good to branch out and try new authors and books. Mary Hooper is a fantastic writer, and I'll be reading more by her as soon as possible.
on 29 July 2013
Couldn't put the book down! Had some sad moments but then there is a happy twist that leads to a great ending. This book was a great read and had some elements of history witch made you relate to real life situations now. I would recommend this book to anyone that's looking for a good read that will keep you occupied for days.
on 8 March 2012
This is a lovely and descriptive novel. Very good pacing and written beautifully. Came across it by accident at the local library. Will certainly look out for more of Mary Hooper's work.
on 14 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The author has a lovely style of writing and keeps the reader's interest throughout. A highly recommended read!